Please tell me ready meals aren't that bad :(

Options

Replies

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Just search:

Jamie Oliver Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream and take a look at what you find in the video of the high school students eating ice cream sundaes.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just search:

Jamie Oliver Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream and take a look at what you find in the video of the high school students eating ice cream sundaes.

I did some searching but am having trouble finding substantiation of the claim that "duck feathers, human hair and lacquer bug secretions were the main ingredients in the cookie dough used in commercially processed ice cream".

Fortunately for me, my ice cream of choice is Breyer's Coffee ice cream...(but would prefer if they would go back to their previous recipe that didn't include the tara gum).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I lost 4 1/2 stone and got to be healthiest and strongest I've ever been (running 7.2 miles then cycling 50 miles in a day) eating a large proportion of ready meals.

In some cases I would try and add salad to ready meals, others I wouldn't.

I find them excellent for portion control (there's a reason I had to lose 4 1/2 stone) - as well as decent cost (I don't mind horse) - and you can get some with pretty decent macro ratios these days.

Ingredients
    1) Any of the foods or substances that are combined to make a particular dish or meal.
    2) A component part or element of something: "all the ingredients of a mystery".
    Seems 'Vitamin C' could fit both of those. Of course the list of 'ingredients' have been, one could say, considerably more 'processed' than most foods people moan about it.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Do you want me to make you happy or tell you the truth?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    so what is the practical implication of your point?
    That just because one can't pronounce an ingredient of vitamin or mineral, that they should avoid it. Using sense, nutritional information and research should help one decide if they can have something in their diet or not. Not just because someone says it's "bad" for you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just search:

Lol, I'm Asian. I've eaten more than just duck feather and human hair and have survived just fine. In fact, I'd like some balut right now.

IDEA Fitness member
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Once I found out that duck feathers, human hair and lacquer bug secretions were the main ingredients in the cookie dough used in commercially processed ice cream, I started paying a little more attention to the ice cream I ate. Vanilla beans, sugar, and milk -- can't get any more basic than that, eh?

In...

...to learn more about this cookie dough comprised mostly of duck feathers, human hair, and lacquer bug secretions.

Oh, and I too am able to pronounce seemingly complicated words. I don't think that's a valid basis on which I should rely to eat them though. Perhaps we should consider a different criteria.

QFT and in
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    so what is the practical implication of your point?
    That just because one can't pronounce an ingredient of vitamin or mineral, that they should avoid it. Using sense, nutritional information and research should help one decide if they can have something in their diet or not. Not just because someone says it's "bad" for you.

IDEA Fitness member

Jamie never said "it's bad for you", he said "If you don't know what it is on the label, you don't want it going into your body". That's not a bad philosophy, in my opinion.
  • GrnEyz80
    GrnEyz80 Posts: 121
    Options
    You know, I used to live off them too! I realized one day that I had not had a REAL meal in over 2 months at one point. Everything was the processed pre-packaged foods. When I realized that I got so sick! I am really busy and work horrible hours. So what I decided to do was make my own "pre-packaged" meals. On my days off I go shopping and do my all my cooking for the week. I store the dinners in airtight containers and then for work I just have to pull them out of the fridge and go. SO much better! It does make for one busy day off, but then the rest of the week everything is done and planned out. Even my lunches and breakfasts...so there is NO thinking about my meals the rest of the week! I love it.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    Just search:

I did some searching but am having trouble finding substantiation of the claim that "duck feathers, human hair and lacquer bug secretions were the main ingredients in the cookie dough used in commercially processed ice cream".

Fortunately for me, my ice cream of choice is Breyer's Coffee ice cream...(but would prefer if they would go back to their previous recipe that didn't include the tara gum).

I PMed you the video for you to watch.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    The Lean Cuisine Butternut Squash Ravioli....omg, it's so good. They are mostly pretty bad, the biggest problem is the sodium. Also most of them don't even have a full serving of vegetables. When I do eat them I eat them with a few servings of vegetables in addition, which is a good thing because they are not very filling.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    Once I found out that duck feathers, human hair and lacquer bug secretions were the main ingredients in the cookie dough used in commercially processed ice cream, I started paying a little more attention to the ice cream I ate. Vanilla beans, sugar, and milk -- can't get any more basic than that, eh?

In...

...to learn more about this cookie dough comprised mostly of duck feathers, human hair, and lacquer bug secretions.

Oh, and I too am able to pronounce seemingly complicated words. I don't think that's a valid basis on which I should rely to eat them though. Perhaps we should consider a different criteria.

QFT and in

Check your PM.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    man, I came back to check on this thread and it is flamingly obvious she just wants coddling.

If you HAVE to use them as a stepping stone, try Amy's organic meals. They are a smidge better for you.
  • drayco_
    drayco_ Posts: 17
    Options
    Pretty sure fruit and vegetable are ready made meals.

Good rule of thumb, if you want to be healthy, don't eat anything that comes out of a microwave.
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of frozen dinners and pre made boxed meals and they have still allowed me to lose weight (although I am sure that I would have lost more by now had I eaten non premade foods). The sodium content is probably the worst thing about them (although you can get some in low sodium varieties). I just drink more water to help make up for it. You just have to do what is best for you :)
  • drayco_
    drayco_ Posts: 17
    Options
    I eat a lot of frozen dinners and pre made boxed meals and they have still allowed me to lose weight (although I am sure that I would have lost more by now had I eaten non premade foods). The sodium content is probably the worst thing about them (although you can get some in low sodium varieties). I just drink more water to help make up for it. You just have to do what is best for you :)

Well the sodium content and the fact that the nutritional value is probably really low, you've irradiated the food when microwaved, and unless it's certified organic, you have to worry about gmo, peticides, herbicides, and all sorts of other stuff. Unless you know who made your food or you watch it being made, you have no idea what's in it. Also, the preservatives and other carcinogens in them. Not too mention they don't even label everything in the meal to begin with. Someone did mentions Amy's on here.

If I absolutely had no choice, I would eat Amy's. Organic and GMO free.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    So what is 'unhealthy' about GMO, why would you worry about it? Sodium too, for that matter, if you make sure it all adds up ok? Heating it in a microwave? (No, it's not equivalent to a nuclear reactor.)
    You have as much trust as to what's in it as you do to something labelled 'Organic' actually being Organic.

Unless you planted it/bred it, watered and fed it then dug it out of the ground or slaughtered it, you can't really know.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    So what is 'unhealthy' about GMO, why would you worry about it?
    Well, we'll never know in North America where traceability and labeling is not mandatory. The big crops that get a pass are soy, corn and canola modified to be herbicide-tolerant, mostly to Roundup and other modified insecticide toxins and any other. As of now testing is not mandatory, nor is testing done independently and any testing by the Companies that produce GM crops is kept and not disclosed. Any data extracted from these corporations (court orders) has conflicting results from animal studies, so I wouldn't be one of the people that blindly accept that GM crops has no long term effect on health. Some Countries have banned some major GMO's mostly the crops either coming from North America, where about 97% of GM foods originate or within those Countries from Companies that produce GM crops. Germany, Italy, UK, France, Spain, Switzerland, Norway, Australia and so on. Anyway, we really don't know the risk, but if trans fats are an example of human modification for the sake of cost and political ranging in food dynamics and health, I would wait and see what the world finds out over time.
  • goexpos
    goexpos Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    for anyone who isnt convinced I would recommend reading Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss - it'll help anyone get off processed food. should be required reading in school.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    for anyone who isnt convinced I would recommend reading Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss - it'll help anyone get off processed food. should be required reading in school.
    Learning proper eating habits come from home. Kids now don't care about what they are eating and reading about how bad they are would be a waste of school funds that could be directed to more important subjects like science (where one can learn about chemistry, physiology and biology) and math.

IDEA Fitness member