Is this fat shaming?

Options
Espressocycle
Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
Is this "fat shaming?" Given the ginormous people in sweatpants walking around my neighborhood, I sometimes feel like we could use some, but this ain't it.

http://www.thenation.com/blog/174049/fat-shaming-actually-all-around

oatmeal.jpg

Replies

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    lol :laugh: :noway:
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    No. It said nothing about people being fat. It just offered a healthy alternative to a common, not-so-good-for-you breakfast item. End of.
  • Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt
    Drop_it_Like_Its_Hawt Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    No, it's not, because it's not directed specifically at fat people. It's directed at people who are interested in eating healthy (whether they're overweight or not). Many people do care if something is lower in calories, and may specifically want to lose a pound or two (or 20) before swimsuit season, so as long as they're not going up to people who aren't remotely interested in dieting and saying "Hey you, there! Ginormous neighbor in sweatpants!! Eat this instead!", calling it "shaming" is a real stretch.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Aren't they just advertising how much lower in calorie their product is? That's like saying diet coke is fat shaming.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    The calorie count for the oatmeal is off..
  • Mavrick7a
    Mavrick7a Posts: 1,353
    Options
    @OP - It's just clever marketing :happy:

@youngdoc2B - calories depend on the amount of oatmeal and blueberries.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    No. Actually I wish more restaurants would include the calorie and macro content of stuff on their menus.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Not at all. I'm sure there are some hypersensitive over weight people who will probably try to make this more than what it is though.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    It is... if you have a victimhood mental complex like the author does.

I love the internet. Google an author's name and their biases and agenda hang out naked for all to see.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I think it is wonderful. Most people don't realize how many calories one thing has versus another.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    nope, just good funny marketing in my op--
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Not at all. I'm sure there are some hypersensitive over weight people who will probably try to make this more than what it is though.

^^This^^
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^This.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Only if it mentioned a "bag of oats" option
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    no, not at all. its good information and also funny. I eat oatmeal every day and it is literally the best breakfast ever. making healthy eating choices in a world geared to push corn syrup derivatives for profit over health, we need all the help we can get.

you should be more concerned that the entire food industry is based on a profit model with no regard for the health of the consumer.

they are trying to help you. high five to them.
  • VeganSurfer
    VeganSurfer Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    No, not at all.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Umm...I'd eat them both in one sitting...am I missing the point?
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    loooool

That's brilliant.
  • FranksRumHam
    FranksRumHam Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    nope...thats just marketing...the guy making fun of kim kardashian in a thread is fat shaming.

here, see for yourself.
    this dude seems really angry.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/970233-pigging-out-a-bit
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    My morning oatmeal is about 600 calories... =B