Replies

• atb0821
    atb0821 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I eat! Yay food!
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat! I eat a lot! And I lift! 1890 non Lifting days, 2190 lifting days :) generally following iifym... go ice cream!!!
    You can add me if you like :flowerforyou:
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Ok wow, I'm amazed. can you guys tell me how you manage to eat so much and still lose weight?I Although I haven't actually tried to eat more than about 1400 a day, I just assumed that if I did I wouldn't have a decent enough calorie deficit to lose any weight. I've been doing this for about 6 months now and thought I was pretty well informed, but now I realise I'm still very much a white belt...

For me doing a LOT of exercise daily. I walk up hills daily and it is hard. It took a long time to get my time down too, I've been walking up hills since October 2012 & couldn't go very far at first, now I get to the top and my time has gone down considerably and my walk speed has increased a lot. I went from under 1 mile an hour when I started to last night's record of 2.32 mph doing hills.

Recently because I am stronger I have added in doing daily abs with a dvd that takes about 8 mins - Perfect Abs, and I do some backwards yoga exercises, and then some arms exercises, both on my own without a dvd (dvd is the Perfect Abs one). And I'm back to losing weight doing this.

As others have said low fats and low cals did not agree with me as much, I def feel better now, I can eat and also do a high cal burn.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Yay so many girls that eat and some interested in learning about it. :)
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I EAT! I ate 2500 calories today. I'm not gaining or losing right now -- I'm doing a metabolism reset so I am eating at maintenance. But its amazing to me that I can eat so much and not gain. And it's helping my metabolism. I just got my RMR tested a few days ago and its at 1701.

I ate VLCD (1300) for many months. I also had no energy, hair falling out, nails chipping, and constant infections, etc. Just very sickly. And cold all the time.

Now that I am eating more, I feel GOOD and I have ENERGY! I have been exercising so much now that I have lots of calories and protein! I love it! I will never eat low calorie again! And I know that the weight will be melting off me as soon as I finish my reset and start eating 15% below TDEE.

Hey Bettyeditor (or anyone else)
    When resetting your metabolism, how long do you do this for? Im unsure if someone trying to lose 100 lbs should be eating at 1800-2000 caloreis a day, or do the metabolism reset.

Would love more information on this. I've been eating 1500 a day for 8 weeks now, exercising 3-4 times a week and I've only dropped 6 kgs. I also hardly go over my cals and rarely eat back my calories. I'm just not sure which way to go about this. I'm almost tempted to drop my cals even further to 1350 - help?

Hi, Well you only need to do a metabolism reset if your metabolism is low or screwed up. Since I ate a VLCD for so many months, I felt it was called for in my case. Also, I had been dieting for so many months that I needed to take a break anyway and remind my by what maintenance calories really are (If you eat a deficit for too long and stall out, it means that your body has adjusted to the fewer calories, dialed down your metabolism, and the "cut" is your new maintenance. Yikes! So it's good to take a week off of dieting at least once every 8-12 weeks.)

A metabolism reset is 8-12 weeks. Your body needs 8 weeks to adjust to a change in eating patterns. For example, it took me exactly 8 weeks of counting carbs to got from 300+ bg to totally normal bg levels. Today I'm off all medication and diabetes is in my rearview mirror. I'm in Week 3 of my metabolism reset. The first few weeks it's normal to gain a few pounds, then the body stabilizes at the current weight and you don't gain or lose for the last few weeks of the reset. Then I'll be ready to start eating at a deficit again. I'll eat 15% below my maintenance, which should be right around 2000 calories (on non-exercise days).

If you are considering a reset, you might want to get your metabolism tested. You can get an RMR (resting metabolic rate) test done at most gyms, at universities, at doctors, even at some nutrition stores, etc. Google it. I wish I had tested mine before my reset for comparison.

If you think your metabolism is pretty healthy and you haven't been undereating for too long or yo-yo dieting, you can just go straight to eating 15% below your maintenance (your TDEE). There are formulas to calculate your TDEE (search the forums), or you can get actual data. I wear a Fitibt so that i know my true calorie burn for the day. And when I exercise I use a heart rate monitor to get my true exercise burn. That way I know very accurately what my daily burn is and I can eat 15% below that.
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I EAT! I ate 2500 calories today. I'm not gaining or losing right now -- I'm doing a metabolism reset so I am eating at maintenance. But its amazing to me that I can eat so much and not gain. And it's helping my metabolism. I just got my RMR tested a few days ago and its at 1701.

I ate VLCD (1300) for many months. I also had no energy, hair falling out, nails chipping, and constant infections, etc. Just very sickly. And cold all the time.

Now that I am eating more, I feel GOOD and I have ENERGY! I have been exercising so much now that I have lots of calories and protein! I love it! I will never eat low calorie again! And I know that the weight will be melting off me as soon as I finish my reset and start eating 15% below TDEE.

How long are you doing the reset for? I've heard a few people mention this, but I don't really understand it or know if I should be doing it. I just recently as of this week started trying to eat more calories after doing a low calorie diet for awhile with very slow results. I read all about doing TDEE and how 20-30% less of it will help, depending on how much you need to lose so right now I am trying for TDEE -30% but this is a gradual process for me.. I'm having a hard time eating that much especially after exercise. But like you the whole low calorie diet thing was making me tried, sluggish, and FREEZING all the time. Am I supposed to do a reset or am I ok to just work my way up into eating that many calories?

See my reply to previous similar question above. :)

And btw, I learned about metabolism reset through the Eat More 2 Weight Less group here on MFP. I recommend the group to all of you! Find your Eat More / Reset peeps!
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Wow 2500 that's a big goal, my tdee according to scoobys is 2300 and I am having a hard time making it to 1900 right now after eating so low for so long. I do feel better though. Working to balance my macros as I go up.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I eat 1600-1800cals a day. Any less than that and I binge on *kitten* and give up :/

Binging was part of my problem too. I'd eat 1500 or less for several days and then eat 1800-2300 one day, junky food of course.
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    my daily goal is 2300, my average TDEE is 2800..

You work more.. you eat more...

:)
  • BakingMadGymAddict
    Options
    I LOVE TO EAT (and take pictures of what I eat and post them on the internet).

You can check them out here

https://www.facebook.com/TheBakingMadGymAddict?ref=hl

Feel free to add me as I love meeting new people!

Have a kick *kitten* day everyone! xXx
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I LOVE TO EAT (and take pictures of what I eat and post them on the internet).

You can check them out here

https://www.facebook.com/TheBakingMadGymAddict?ref=hl

Feel free to add me as I love meeting new people!

Have a kick *kitten* day everyone! xXx
  • GenF32
    GenF32 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Whoops hit post too soon :) The message above SHOULD have said "Yay another Aussie! I'll add you :-)"
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I eat.. but my diary is closed. I eat a minimum of 2000 a day, and that's on a rest day.
  • LipstickandIron
    LipstickandIron Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I eat AND I lift heavy. Feel free to add! ;)
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I eat about 1,650cals on rest days and 1,800+ on workout days. I am still relatively new to the notion of not having to starve myself to be at a good weight but it's working out well so far! Feel free to add me :)
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 1884/day! Not going without food here =)
  • FCHW
    FCHW Posts: 35
    Options
    I eat and breathe. Sometimes even simultaneously. I'm that amazing. :wink: Add me!
  • ShallaLovee1
    ShallaLovee1 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I eat between 1300-1600 sometimes more. I'm very curious to know what percentage of carbohydrates, fat and protein you guys are taking in. My whole thing is I don't want to intake too many bad carbohydrates or fats. I try to get it from natural sources but since I eat so much fruit daily I run out of that. I don't eat many vegetables if at all any. Which is bad I know. I'm totally open to suggestions. I'm never hungry because I eat frequently throughout the day since I'm doing Insanity I'm literally always hungry. The only time I skip is when I'm busy and I forget. Otherwise food is all I think about.
  • k_saenz
    k_saenz Posts: 126
    Options
    I eat 6 times a day 1700-2000 calories a day. I'm constantly eating. Except today I was feeling sick so I forced my calories in at night, But I still did it!!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Oh hai! I eat an average of about 2100 calories daily to cut, 2300 when I'm only focused on lifting and body recomp. I'll be up to about 2800/day when I go to bulk :bigsmile: