What to do with sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• frizbeemom
    frizbeemom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Last night I made a sweet potato protein smoothie and it was pure awesome! I was making for two, so I used one medium-sized sweet potato (previously baked in microwave and chilled), 1.5-2 cups coconut milk, ground cinnamon and my unflavored protein powder. Throw it in the blender and drink. We don't have many sweets so enjoyed this without added sugars, but if you want it sweeter, add Stevia or brown sugar. Next time that I budget enough calories, I will add some chopped pecans. :) I threw the sweet potato in the microwave while I'm making dinner and by chilling in the freezer, it was totally cold by the time I do my workout. It's like drinking a pumpkin pie without the crust, luxurious. And you get that small hit of carb and protein that you might want after a strength training workout.
  • rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    add one to your favorite butternut squash soup
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Why not BBQ them? You can do them whole right on the grill, or wrap in foil, cut in half first insert seasonings (try Butter Buds) wrap in foil then bake on grill. OR. you could slice them and grill the slices. OR, you could make baked potato chips out of them. OR... anything you do with a regular potato, try with the sweet potato.
  • lisamfick
    lisamfick Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Might sound weird, but this was my dinner tonight:

Use a fork to poke holes in the sweet potato, wrap in a damp paper towel, and then nuke it for 5-8 minutes. I usually cut my potato in half...them suckers are huge!

Anyways, tonight I steamed my tater, mashed it up, then heated some black beans and piled them on top for a little more flavor.

Then again, I don't care if food is bland -- I see it as sustenance only.

I do this all the time as well but add veggies like tomato, onion, avocado, and feta or parm cheese
  • gailfarrar54
    Options
    They taste great done on the BBQ.
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite ways of having sweet potatoes is to peel and cut into strips spray a cookie sheet with olive oil spray or baste lightly with olive oil liquid and pepper 325 degrees for 25 mins absolutely scrumptious
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    this sounds yummy will have to try it with the egg and hashbrowns
  • AileighD
    AileighD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast

that sounds amazing! i am trying this!! :)
  • DancingHev
    DancingHev Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I make a nice soup with Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato. Add an onion and some veg stock and boiling water and leave to simmer. It's gorgeous, filling and very sweet so hits all the spots without being loaded with calories.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Here's one I like - one pot easy meal, also freezes well.

Easy sweet potato chickpea curry / stew

1 x can chickpeas
    2 x 400g can chopped tomato
    200 g raw carrot , cut into chunks
    200 g sweet potato , cut into chunks
    1 x small red onion
    2 x clove of garlic
    2 x tbs curry powder (I use tikka)

soften the onions in a saucepan then chuck everything else in. Simmer until the veg are cooked.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Some awesome ideas in here! Thanks for all the contributions!! One thing I didn't see, but I thought about while reading through these is to replace the pumpkin in pumpkin breads/muffins with sweet potato.
  • DANCERPURPLE
    DANCERPURPLE Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Belgie_t3
    Belgie_t3 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is a very simple after workout meal I have diced sweet potatoes drizzled with olive oil then sprinkled with salt, pepper. thyme, and oregano. roasted in the oven until soft then I crack an egg (or egg white) on top and throw it back in until the egg is done then sprinkle egg with a little salt and pepper. Its delicious and simple
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast

omg I am so gonna try this. YUM !
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    Options
    This is a very simple after workout meal I have diced sweet potatoes drizzled with olive oil then sprinkled with salt, pepper. thyme, and oregano. roasted in the oven until soft then I crack an egg (or egg white) on top and throw it back in until the egg is done then sprinkle egg with a little salt and pepper. Its delicious and simple

and this !
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    Options

omg I am so gonna try this. YUM !

Ok I made this this morning, it was yummy but is it supposed to be softish or crunchy & are they supposed to stick together like a hash brown? 'cos mine was all crumbly and not crunchy but still good !
  • spchica
    spchica Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to slice them in thin rounds and then spray baking sheet with cooking spray and lay out sweet potatoes and spray on top and sprinkle some pepper on top. Bake. Then I dip them in Costco's Jalapeno yogurt dip. So yummy!
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I bake them and puree without skin in my blender. I then separate into cubes with an ice cube tray and freeze. Then I pop them into various meals during the week for me and the family. For example, eating just pureed, adding to oatmeal, adding to pancakes, adding to muffins, and even spreading on a wrap for a sandwich or quesadilla. I learned this from making baby food and my youngest still takes them to school for lunch this way.

Great idea! Thanks!
  • joynicole95
    Options
    I just slice them up and cook them in a pan on the stove with a couple teaspoons of coconut until until they are crisp. Coconut oil is a good, healthy fat and it makes whatever you're cooking really crisp.