What to do with sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• cvilain13
    cvilain13 Posts: 18
    Options
    Bump! Rosemary and garlic are great additions in sweet potato fries by the way. :)
  • jlg6599
    jlg6599 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    This is awesome

Loaded Baked Sweet Potato “Healthified”
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 4 • Size: 1 potato • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pt
    Calories: 307 • Fat: 5 g • Carb: 53 g • Fiber: 10.5 g • Protein: 15 g • Sugar: 1 g
    Sodium: 312 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:
    • 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
    • 1/2 cup fat free Greek yogurt (or light sour cream)
    • 1 tsp taco seasoning
    • 1 tsp olive or canola oil
    • 1 red bell pepper, diced
    • 1/2 red onion, diced
    • 1 tsp chili powder
    • 1/2 tsp paprika or smoked paprika
    • 1/2 tsp cumin
    • a pinch of salt
    • 1-1/3 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    • 1/2 cup mild or spicy salsa
    • 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
    • 1/4 cup chopped scallions or cilantro

Directions:

Poke holes in the potato with a fork, cook on your microwave’s potato setting until potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 8-10 minutes on high for 4 potatoes). If you don't have a microwave, bake about 45 minutes at 400°F.

Combine yogurt and taco seasoning in a small bowl, mix well.

Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt; cook until the onions have caramelized slightly, about 5 minutes. Add black beans, stir to combine and heat through (about another 5 minutes).

Slice the potato lengthwise down the middle or as I did in the photo, use a fork to pierce the top in an oval shape, then remove the top of each potato. Top with 2 tbsp shredded cheese, 1/3 cup of black bean mixture, 2 tbsp Greek yogurt mixture and 2 tbsp salsa of salsa. Enjoy!
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    The caloric value of sweet potatoes is very confusing. Like it'll say a large sweet potato is 180 grams and 5" in diameter and 160 calories, but has anyone actually found a sweet potato UNDER 180 grams? How is that a large? Do they mean the weight once it's cooked or?
  • jimlambrt2
    jimlambrt2 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    tagged
  • lla331
    lla331 Posts: 3
    Options
    Bump
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    bake then add lil butter sprinkle stevia and cinnamon yummy
  • connielouivey
    connielouivey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    never thought of this! definitely use this idea!
  • connielouivey
    connielouivey Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    sounds awesome to me!
  • AmyBeth719
    AmyBeth719 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I love mashed or baked with a little butter, cinnamon and a little brown sugar. This are my all time favorite right now:
    http://paleoonabudget.com/2012/04/15/sweet-potato-rounds/
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to go on a quest for sweet potato fries now. Or buy a sweet potato and make some lol yeah right.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    peeled, cubed, spritzed with olive oil and sprinkled with apple pie spices. It's fabulous!
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    peeled, cubed, spritzed with olive oil and sprinkled with apple pie spices. It's fabulous!

i missed a step. HA! After you spritz and sprinkle, bake them in the oven at 350.
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Slice into thick fries and spray with 1cal oil and pop into the oven. Mash with carrots, spice them with paprika & layer over pepper & tomato turkey mince.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Baked with garlic and feta, everyone has heard of doing them sweet, but savory is AWESOME!
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i'm making sweet potato and black bean burgers tonight! (first time) can't wait!!!
  • megquenzer
    megquenzer Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I find Sweet potatoes very hard to cut uncooked....am I doing something wrong or is there a trick to cutting them for fries, wedges, cubes ect.? We have really come to love them but I dread cutting them up!
  • momblobnomore
    momblobnomore Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I find Sweet potatoes very hard to cut uncooked....am I doing something wrong or is there a trick to cutting them for fries, wedges, cubes ect.? We have really come to love them but I dread cutting them up!

I put them in the microwave a few minutes before cutting to soften them a bit. I have also found the smaller ones are not as hard
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    You can do with a sweet potato pretty much anything you can do with any other potato. My favorites are:

Roasted: coat with olive oil, salt, cayenne and rosemary, bake at 350 deg on a foil lined pan.

Hashbrowns: grate the potato and saute' with onions, peppers, bacon. Then pour scrambled eggs on top and cook till eggs are done.
  • ChristaToTheMax
    ChristaToTheMax Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We have sweet potatoes every Monday for dinner. We bake two medium sweet potatoes (one for each of us), throw on 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, and put four ounces of baked chicken on top. It's super filling and healthy!