What to do with sweet potatoes?

Options
ShandaLeaS
ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
The only kind of sweet potatoes I've ever had are 'loaded', aka tons of butter, sugar and cinnamon, baked sweet potatoes. For some reason, I bought some the other day and I really want to do something a little healthier with them but I'm not a good cook and I don't know what else to do with them. Thank you!!

Replies

• honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Baked or steamed? Skip the butter, sugar and cinnamon. They go great in a salad.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    The only kind of sweet potatoes I've ever had are 'loaded', aka tons of butter, sugar and cinnamon, baked sweet potatoes. For some reason, I bought some the other day and I really want to do something a little healthier with them but I'm not a good cook and I don't know what else to do with them. Thank you!!

I bake mine and eat plain. No butter needed. You could use the no cal spray butter if you wanted. I do sprinkle salt...just a little. Another thing that is good on them is cinnamon, which is good for you too;.
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    definatly baked :) just coat them in a tablespoon of olive oil and you can get your healthy fats up whilst making them delicious and crispy!
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast
  • Emtabo01
    Emtabo01 Posts: 672
    Options
    I usually shred sweet potatoes to make sweet potato hashbrowns. (Stir-fry it with onions, salt, garlic powder and paprika) Crack an egg into it and you have a tasty breakfast

Yum
  • k_saenz
    k_saenz Posts: 126
    Options
    I eat them In a flat wrap with peanut butter and lots of chicken with cinnamon on top and a protein shake delicious. (After workouts)
  • sgsill
    sgsill Posts: 9
    Options
    I'm going to try a recipe this week that uses steamed potatoes, 1 chipotle pepper, and salt. I've never had sweet potatoes in any form so we'll see how this tastes. The recipe shows it only has 152 calories per serving.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Crockpot African Peanut Soup

1 onion, chopped
    1 green pepper, chopped
    1 - 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
    6 chicken thighs with skin removed
    1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
    3 cups water
    1 cup peanut butter (creamy or chunky - whichever you like)

All all ingredients except peanut butter to crockpot and cook on high for 1 hour and turn down heat to low for 2-3 hours. (optional - take out chicken thighs, remove bones and shred chicken to return to crock pot). Add peanut butter. Cook on low for 1 hour. 8 servings, 350 calories per serving, 17 carbs, 22 sugar (but sadly 531 mg sodium)
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Baked or steamed? Skip the butter, sugar and cinnamon. They go great in a salad.

this!

If you really need something, add some herbs on top like basil and parsley, soooo good :)

my favourite (naughty) thing to do with sweet potatoes is to bake them whole until they're really soft and eat the insides with vanilla ice cream. It is heavenly and the best dessert ever! I do this with Japanese sweet potatoes which are yellow on the inside and purple on the outside, don't know how it would go with normal orange ones but worth a try (as they're very sweet so it goes well)
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I know it's wierd...but I LOVE barbeque sauce on my baked sweet potatoes. Not often because of sugar content, but so good!
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    mmmm what noswweet potato fries==??? slice spray with some cocnute oil and bake nom nom nom
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Almost anything you do with a white potato you can do with a sweet potato. I like to wrap them in foil to bake them to keep them moister and make the skin easy to remove. If you do bake one in foil, you can just throw it in the fridge still wrapped for several days until you get around to using it. It makes a great curry with eggplant -- there are both Thai and Indian recipes for this on the web. I like to make gnocchi (dumplings) from them and have a recipe on my blog: http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/06/22/gnocchi-is-quick-to-make-in-small-amounts/
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Search the threads for sweet potato donuts. They were good,

I make sweet potato 'sandwiches" sometimes. You cut 2 thin rounds from a large baked sweet potato, fill it with chicken, ham, cheese, veg, bacon, mayo - whatever you please and then put it in a sandwich press until the outsides of the rounds are golden.
  • FunnyBunnyHunny
    FunnyBunnyHunny Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Search the threads for sweet potato donuts. They were good,

I make sweet potato 'sandwiches" sometimes. You cut 2 thin rounds from a large baked sweet potato, fill it with chicken, ham, cheese, veg, bacon, mayo - whatever you please and then put it in a sandwich press until the outsides of the rounds are golden.

Yumm that sounds good. Gotta try it.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    baked, sweet potatoe fries
  • rlcumberland
    Options
    Slice them like french fries, drizzle with Olive Oil and bake at 350 till crispy. I sometimes sprinkle with season salt but this has a lot of sodium. They are delicious.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I cut them up and add to chilli...Tomatoes, chile peppers, black beans, sweet potatoes, brown rice, ground chicken/turkey, slightly sweetened coffee for broth... chunky, sweet, salty, peppery...Big taste...
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Peel sweet potatoes (if you want), cube and toss with a bit of olive oil, and bake at 350-375 until done to your liking. We do a big pan with regular yellow potatoes, cubed (no peeling) and sometimes some garlic and / or herbs for extra flavour. For tracking, weigh them raw and count oil, and divide by the servings.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My favorite so far has been like a corned beef & hash. Only i've been using ground buffalo or beef and sweet potatoes. brown 1lb ground beef with 1/4 cup onions and 1/4 cup green peppers. once brown add 1 medium sweet potato cut into cubes, 2tbsp parsley, 2 tbsp chopped garlic, 2 chopped jalapenos(optional), cook until sweet potatoes soften up 10 minutes. After potatoes are soft add 2 cups chopped spinach, cook until wilted, or about 5 minutes. You could salt and pepper to taste. I add sour cream and hot sauce to my bowl when its done
  • fabulara
    fabulara Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bump!!