What to do with sweet potatoes?

Options

Replies

• bambi2578
    bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I actually just made sweet potatoes tonight for dinner. I sliced them on my mandolin, tossed with salt, pepper, olive oil, and thyme. You can also do rosemary instead of the thyme, still delicious. Baked them at 425 for 28 minutes, flipping half way through. You can do them longer if you want them a little more crispy. Delicious!
  • bambi2578
    bambi2578 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato protein pancakes, of course!

Ingredients:

1 sweet potato
    1/2 cup liquid egg whites
    1 scoop whey protein (I use vanilla)
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Ground cinnamon (to taste)
    2tsp sugar substitute (I just use the real thing)

Directions:

Cook sweet potato in microwave for 6-8 minutes, depending on the size. Peel the skin and discard, only using the insides. Mash it down until it's a creamy consistency. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl. Stir until you receive a pancake batter-like texture. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray, and slowly add batter. Cook until done

Nutrition: batter makes 4 medium sized pancakes
    480 cals (will be higher/lower depending on size of sweet potato, protein powder, sugar used, etc) , 61g carbs, 3g fat, 55g protein (depending on your protein powder), 7g fiber.

* When these are done, I stack them and cover them with 2 TBSP of peanut butter, then drizzle them in sugar free butter flavored syrup. DO ITTTTT

Definitely trying this - yummmm!
  • champagndrea
    champagndrea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries... yum!!! - I used to eat them like you, but I will never go back to that. They are much better and much healthier this way!

cut one potato into strips, put the strips in a ziplock bag
    add 2 tsp olive oil
    1 1/2 tsp paprika
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp salt, shake up until they are coated evenly. then bake at 425 degrees for about 12 minutes.

I eat them all the time! I was practically addicted to fast food french fries (ate them at least every few days) and now I don't feel the need to eat them anymore. Definitely give the sweet potato fries a try. They're quick and easy and very worth it!
  • alvin0012
    alvin0012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Baked.... if your on the go you can always microwave and its ready in 8 mins. (eating in plain)
  • iclaudia_g
    iclaudia_g Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato protein pancakes, of course!

Ingredients:

1 sweet potato
    1/2 cup liquid egg whites
    1 scoop whey protein (I use vanilla)
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    Ground cinnamon (to taste)
    2tsp sugar substitute (I just use the real thing)

Directions:

Cook sweet potato in microwave for 6-8 minutes, depending on the size. Peel the skin and discard, only using the insides. Mash it down until it's a creamy consistency. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl. Stir until you receive a pancake batter-like texture. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray, and slowly add batter. Cook until done

Nutrition: batter makes 4 medium sized pancakes
    480 cals (will be higher/lower depending on size of sweet potato, protein powder, sugar used, etc) , 61g carbs, 3g fat, 55g protein (depending on your protein powder), 7g fiber.

* When these are done, I stack them and cover them with 2 TBSP of peanut butter, then drizzle them in sugar free butter flavored syrup. DO ITTTTT

Wow this sound very good. Need to try these.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I eat my sweet taters in several ways:

1) Baked plain with no fixings.

2) Mashed: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/10/garlic-sweet-potato-mash.html. I make this at least once a month.

3) As shepherd' pie: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Sweet-Potato-Shepherd-s-Pie
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Peel, cube, toss with a little olive oil and a southwest style seasoning mix. (I love Penzey's Arizona Dreaming) spread on a sheet pan and bake at 375 for twenty minutes or so...stir it up once or twice. Yum.
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fritters serves 4

1 large sweet potato (about 1 pound)
    3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
    1 medium onion, chopped
    2 large poblano peppers or small green bell peppers, chopped
    1 15-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
    1 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (see Note), divided
    3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
    3/4 cup fine yellow cornmeal
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 teaspoon baking powder
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1/4 cup water
    4 lime wedges for garnish

PREPARATION
    Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
    Prick sweet potato in several places with a fork. Microwave on High until just cooked through, 7 to 10 minutes. (Alternatively, place in a baking dish and bake at 425ºF until tender all the way to the center, about 1 hour.) Set aside to cool.
    Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture. Add beans, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and 1/4 teaspoon salt to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Cover and set aside.
    Whisk cornmeal, flour, baking powder, the remaining 3/4 teaspoon paprika and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Peel the sweet potato and mash in a large bowl with a fork. Stir in the reserved onion-pepper mixture, egg and water. Add the cornmeal mixture and stir until just combined.
    Form the sweet potato mixture into eight 3-inch oval fritters, using a generous 1/4 cup for each. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook 4 fritters until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining fritters and oil.
    Bake the fritters until puffed and firm to the touch, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve the fritters with the reserved bean mixture and lime wedges, if desired.

NUTRITION
    Per serving: 380 calories; 14 g fat ( 1 g sat , 7 g mono ); 53 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 10 g fiber; 664 mg sodium; 780 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (279% daily value), Vitamin C (110% dv), Folate (23% dv), Potassium (22% dv).

Carbohydrate Servings: 3

Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 2 fat

I got that recipe from eating well and it sounds delicious to me!!!!
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I never liked sweet potatoes until about 2 years ago and then I would just have them at T-giving (mashed with pecans, bananas, and brown sugar). Now I eat them every week in some form or fashion. My 3 favorite sweet potato recipes right now are:

1) Sweet Potato Nachos (Recipe from Door-to-Door Organics)

5 ounces goat cheese
    2 large sweet potatoes, peeled
    ½ can of black beans, drained and rinsed
    1 large red onion, sliced thinly
    2 tbs olive oil
    1 tsp chili powder
    1 tsp sugar
    ¼ tsp salt
    ¼ cups water
    Tomatillo salsa (if desired)

Preheat oven to 400. Slice the sweet potatoes into chips - very thin (i.e. use a mandolin). Spray both sides with olive oil cooking spray or coat with thin layer of olive oil, lay flat in one layer on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and bake for 15-20 minutes at 400, turning halfway through. (Watch closely the last few minutes because they brown quickly at the end.) Remove the chips onto a wire cooling rack and set aside. In a skillet heat the olive oil and onions over medium low heat. Stirring constantly, saute the onions until very soft and starting to caramelize. Add the water, sugar, salt, and chili powder. Bring to a simmer and, stirring constantly, let all of the liquid cook out of the pan. To assemble, spread the chips on a baking sheet, topped with the chili onions and black beans, then sprinkle with crumbled goat cheese. Set under the broiler for about 2-3 minutes, then remove. Top with tomatillo salsa as desired. Eat immediately. Serves 3-4.

2) Roasted Yam and Kale Salad - go to www.allrecipes.com and search it there.

3) Rosemary and Garlic Roasted Broccoli and Sweet Potatoes (Recipe from Door-to-Door Organics)

1 tbs finely chopped rosemary (I use dried if I have to)
    2 large heads of broccoli, chopped [about 6 cups]
    1 large yam/sweet potato, cubed [about 4 cups]
    1½ tsp chopped garlic (more if you love garlic)
    ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
    ½ tsp salt (I omit)
    2 tbs olive oil
    Parmesan cheese to top [or toasted, slivered almonds for a vegan option]

Pre-heat oven to 350 and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Coat the cubed yam/sweet potato with 1 TBSP olive oil, rosemary, garlic, and salt if using. Place on baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, coat the broccoli with the remaining 1 TBSP olive oil. Add to yam/sweet potatoes and toss. Roast for another 20-25 minutes, until tender and browned. Top with more salt and pepper if desired and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. (Tastes great without salt, parm or almonds.) Serves 4-5.
  • PamGeirng
    PamGeirng Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    We like to microwave ours and then cut open and spread laughing cow cinnamon cream cheese on like butter and put 1 tsp of brown sugar. They are so good this way!!
  • magiccat32
    Options
    i agree with others who said they are great just baked or mashed like regular potatoes. but, they are super yummy in a hash with apples, onions, garlic, sausage and some salt and red pepper flakes. can be made on the stove top or put into a crock pot all day. love me some sweet potatoes!
  • Justjamie0418
    Justjamie0418 Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with brown sugar and cinnamon. But I saw someone else talk about somekind of shredded pork or something.. and I think that would be yummy too!
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I cut them into wedges, spray with low cal spray and sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic and chilli flakes on them to make lovely spicy potato wedges.

I also add them to carrot and corinader soup to give an extra sweet depth :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    you can add them to many recipes that call for pumpkin, or even regular brownies. they used to do that all the time in our lunches at school when I was a kid.
  • rosiesmama
    rosiesmama Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    We have a baked potato bar at my work's cafeteria, and my go-to, easy-sleazy, not too terrible for me lunch is a sweet potato with chili on it and a little shredded cheese & chopped onion. You know, for when I don't plan something healthier.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Slice them up like fries, toss with olive oil, sea salt and fresh, chopped rosemary and bake for 20 min. at 400. I like them just starting to get a little carmely (that's a new word I made up, I think it should be in everyone's dictionary). Then, right out of the oven, I top with more sea salt and fresh, chopped rosemary.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Just in case you buy too many and get sick of them . . .

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_165074_zps27cccc85.jpg
  • kristajeanb
    Options
    I like to cut them up and roast them with a spritz of olive oil, salt and pepper and sometimes brown sugar.

Or I'll make fries with them! (baked of course)
  • sunnyhlw77
    sunnyhlw77 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I cut mine up into bite sized pieces, toss with about 1 tbsp canola oil, little bit of my McCormicks no salt added seasoning, roast at like 375 or 400 for about 30 minutes. Sometimes I toss them in about 1 tbsp of oil and 1 tbsp maple syrup to add a little sweetness along with the seasoning mixture. They're pretty yumm and easy to make! :flowerforyou:
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I take my sweet potato and throw it in the microwave for 3 minutes (with stab wounds mind you) and then I peel the skin off, mash it and eat it as is. It's naturally sweet and tastes great as it is.