Do you really think rice cakes are healthy?

Options
They have almost no nutritional value. Are they even good? I don't think so.

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    No but they taste nice with vegemite on them
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Or almond butter :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Or even whipped peanut butter (curse you Kraft)
  • tiddlebit11
    tiddlebit11 Posts: 182
    Options
    For me - NO!!!

I am allergic to rice and they would make me incredibly sick :P
  • lauraleighsm
    Options
    How do you term healthy? I buy organic honey ones that I love! For a crunchy snack they are much better then some processed junk. Don't you malign my rice cakes! :)
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Rice is not good for health
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Indeed, look at all those Asians wasting away, they'll be extinct soon.
  • omanitshann
    omanitshann Posts: 179
    Options
    they're a good alternative to other things. I think they are a good thing to snack on
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Care to explain why. Seriously, I am very interested. I am sceptic about many health claims online though so care to explain via some linked peer-reviewed studies why rice is not good for your health?
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Healthy is a matter of perspective. Low calorie and lacking in nutritional value is an improvement to people on a high calorie no nutritional value diet. And perhaps a downgrade for people snacking on fruits and veggies, who are in that small percentage. A lot of folks would do well to eat more rice cakes. The calories are minimal, if you like them, eat them.
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Really?! I wonder what the Chinese have been doing for centuries....
  • taunto
    Options
    @OP: If you don't like the taste, then don't eat it. If you don't find it nutritious and worth the calories, then don't eat it or if you do eat it because of nothing else available and/or you find it yummy, then budget the calories in.

To me personally, everyfood is a nutrition vs. taste thing. I eat veggies, lean meats etc for nutrition. I eat ice cream daily because of taste. To me spending 200 calories daily for something I can easily budget in my calories AND something that keeps me sane and away from binging is worth 200 calories a day. Figure out where rice cakes fit for you!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    Plus they taste nice with peanut butter on them.
  • taunto
    Options
    No rice!

With a name like Abhishek I am assuming he's Indian so he already knows about rice eating culture. Unfortunately, the internets brocscience got to him too :(
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For me...........it is healthier and safer than a bar of chocolate, as I can stop at one :laugh:

Chocolate chip ones taste awesome when broken up and added to greek yoghurt.
  • suzywantsitall
    suzywantsitall Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Love my rice cakes ! The caramel minis from Aldi's (70 calories in 8) and topped with 1 Tbs of Nutuella (100 calories) is a super fix for my Chocolate Candy fix. Love the other flavored as well. cheese and ranch. :wink:
  • Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    WHAT?! I PUT PEANUT BUTTER ALL OVER THAT STUFF IT'S GOOD WHY WOULD YOU EVEN SAY THAT OMG
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    Options
    For me...........it is healthier and safer than a bar of chocolate, as I can stop at one :laugh:

Chocolate chip ones taste awesome when broken up and added to greek yoghurt.

Actually melt some dark chocolate & add some sriracha sauce into it, then dip the rick cakes into it & let it go hard. Chilli-chocolate rice cakes....... yummmmmmm
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I get wholegrain cheese flavoured ones, top with cream cheese and smoked ham. A little slow release carbs, fat and protein to keep me going so I think they are a good snack!

Zara
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    No rice!

With a name like Abhishek I am assuming he's Indian so he already knows about rice eating culture. Unfortunately, the internets brocscience got to him too :(

If it was coming from an American/English/australian I'd be calling 'ignorance'. I'm from Aus and living in Japan and can say YES they eat their rice but they don't eat anywhere near the junk that we do in the West. It's awesome.

Bread is the evil stuff, right?