Do you really think rice cakes are healthy?

Options

Replies

• abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Rice is not good for health

Care to explain why. Seriously, I am very interested. I am sceptic about many health claims online though so care to explain via some linked peer-reviewed studies why rice is not good for your health?

See, i have a been there done that experiences and i am telling from my own experience and not making up...

Rice contains a lot of carbs, these carbs when digested into the system is converted into fats and you know what happens when a lot of fat is accumulated in the body...

Rice is good for people who work very very hard like farmers and peasants of developing country and not for people in USA.

My weight loss was slow initially but became rapid when i completely abandoned rice!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Really?! I wonder what the Chinese have been doing for centuries....

With a name like Abhishek I am assuming he's Indian so he already knows about rice eating culture. Unfortunately, the internets brocscience got to him too :(

If it was coming from an American/English/australian I'd be calling 'ignorance'. I'm from Aus and living in Japan and can say YES they eat their rice but they don't eat anywhere near the junk that we do in the West. It's awesome.

Bread is the evil stuff, right?

You look at most (if not all) cultures and you will find high amounts of carbs usage. Indians have bread/rice. Japanese have noodles/rice. I don't eat alot of chinese but see rice as a staple product. Arabs are big on bread and rice too. Africans eat alot of bread/rice. Italians are big on pasta and bread. Most of the european countries consume high amounts of breads. US is high amounts of breads and pasta too.

Eating carbs is good and has served us well for many millenias but it was declared recently as an evil (I think dr. Atkins started the trend?). Carbs was and still is the main source of nutrition and calories for human race because of ease of availability and cost
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Care to explain why. Seriously, I am very interested. I am sceptic about many health claims online though so care to explain via some linked peer-reviewed studies why rice is not good for your health?

See, i have a been there done that experiences and i am telling from my own experience and not making up...

Rice contains a lot of carbs, these carbs when digested into the system is converted into fats and you know what happens when a lot of fat is accumulated in the body...

Rice is good for people who work very very hard like farmers and peasants of developing country and not for people in USA.

My weight loss was slow initially but became rapid when i completely abandoned rice!

when i lived in Japan I ate rice daily and was the thinnest I've ever been, and I sure as hell wasn't farming or being a peasant.

People don't eat it right is all. The correct one-serve of rice for you is about the size of your clenched fist, not the whole plateful. Rice is fine for you if you eat it right.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i use it as a bread replacement and calories wise its WAY better. plus i enjoy the taste :)
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    also, go for lower GI rice like basmati, koshi-hikari or brown. i love the basmine rice (jasmine basmati hybrid)
  • taunto
    Options
    No rice!

So you cannot provide a scientific reason. Gotcha.

BTW, what you're talking about is weight loss. See, many people tend to eat alot more calories easily when consuming carbs. Carbs can be very high in calories so its no surprise. However, weightloss doesn't always mean health. You talked about rice as if its NaOH and will kill your flesh and bones after contact. You got your weight loss by decreasing your calories and hard work. I have done my weight loss via hard work and eating everything in moderation. Mine is slow. Sure. But it is fine because I am MUCH healthier than folks who have done the fast track of weight loss. I eat everything. I don't binge anymore because there really isn't anything to binge... I eat everything as it is!

Don't deprive yourself of food in the name of health. You can be healthy and eat rice cakes
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    They are tasty with vegemite and cheese on and low in cals. Thats all I need to know.
  • abheshek
    Options
    No rice!

So you cannot provide a scientific reason. Gotcha.

BTW, what you're talking about is weight loss. See, many people tend to eat alot more calories easily when consuming carbs. Carbs can be very high in calories so its no surprise. However, weightloss doesn't always mean health. You talked about rice as if its NaOH and will kill your flesh and bones after contact. You got your weight loss by decreasing your calories and hard work. I have done my weight loss via hard work and eating everything in moderation. Mine is slow. Sure. But it is fine because I am MUCH healthier than folks who have done the fast track of weight loss. I eat everything. I don't binge anymore because there really isn't anything to binge... I eat everything as it is!

Don't deprive yourself of food in the name of health. You can be healthy and eat rice cakes

You should read health magazines and papers to know more about effects of eating rice....

See since i am an indian and not caucasian,My body structure and build up is vastly different.Rice is known to be a leading cause of obesity and diabetics amongst asians and specifically south Asians..

I became obese during my teenage years precisely because of my consumption of rice and other items like mango,banana.Even in those days i was not a junk eater...

During my initial days of weight loss program My weight loss was very slow.So i went to see a nutritionist who told me to abandon eating rice completely and now 1 year later i am 94 lbs down and still loosing 2 lbs every week.
  • abheshek
    Options
    And by the way...by rice i was referring to white rice and not others

here is what researchers say about consumption of white rice

" A team of researchers led by Qi Sun, MD, at the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, found eating white rice on daily basis could boost high risk for developing type 2 diabetes and also causing obesity. Dr. Sun and the team of researchers at Harvard applied data from four different studies to determine their findings across the Pacific Ocean countries. The study is being published in the journal BMJ.

The first two studies were taken from Asian countries include China and Japan. The second set of two studies were taken from Western countries include America and Australia. All samples on those four studies were diabetes-free when the studies started.

Overall, researchers analyzed 13,284 incident cases of type 2 diabetes. Total samples include 352,384 participants. Researchers had conducted follow-up periods that range from 4 years to 22 years.

Researchers found individuals in Asian countries consumed about three to four servings of white rice per day. Compared to people in Western countries, they only consumed about one to two servings per week. Researchers believe by increase the amount of servings of white rice per person per day will also increase the diabetes risk by 10%.

Researchers advised Chinese and Japanese and other Asian populations to consider eating less white rice. Aside of white rice, researchers also warned other type of white color carbohydrates could also have side effects for developing type 2 diabetes. Those “white color” foods include white bread, white pasta, rice noodles, ramen, and white potatoes."
  • taunto
    Options
    <<snipped some quoted materials. Look above for reference>>

You should read health magazines and papers to know more about effects of eating rice....

See since i am an indian and not caucasian,My body structure and build up is vastly different.Rice is known to be a leading cause of obesity and diabetics amongst asians and specifically south Asians..

I became obese during my teenage years precisely because of my consumption of rice and other items like mango,banana.Even in those days i was not a junk eater...

During my initial days of weight loss program My weight loss was very slow.So i went to see a nutritionist who told me to abandon eating rice completely and now 1 year later i am 94 lbs down and still loosing 2 lbs every week.

First off, health magazines are NOT a good source of info. They give you the latest fads and diet pills sponsored by the sellers. Which is why I asked for Peer-Reviewed research which isn't funded by said companies.

Second, I AM Asian also. We're not unique species. Rice doesn't just magically make us fat and not make white people fat. Rice isn't racist.

Eat the damn rice cake. Just eat it in moderation! I eat fruits, carbs and everything and I, along with many others, are losing weight.
  • abheshek
    Options

First off, health magazines are NOT a good source of info. They give you the latest fads and diet pills sponsored by the sellers. Which is why I asked for Peer-Reviewed research which isn't funded by said companies.

Second, I AM Asian also. We're not unique species. Rice doesn't just magically make us fat and not make white people fat. Rice isn't racist.

Eat the damn rice cake. Just eat it in moderation! I eat fruits, carbs and everything and I, along with many others, are losing weight.

yeah i agree anything in moderation is not bad for health....Unfortunately i am so much afraid of eating rice that i will not be consuming it for a while....
  • suewestcountry
    suewestcountry Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    who cares what he thinks? who is he the rice police? get on with your own issues and leave the rest of us to sort ourselves out.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options

yeah i agree anything in moderation is not bad for health....Unfortunately i am so much afraid of eating rice that i will not be consuming it for a while....

Wait...you know how many calories are in a mango & banana as well? I'll assume it's not because you were eating rice that you became obese, but more then fact you were just over eating in total. A banana, depending on size, can range between 90 calories to a whopping 130 per banana. Then add the mango.... then whatever else you were eating. Then you may not have been doing as much physical activity and not burning off all that fruit.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    i did in the 90's.:laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The question was 'is it healthy'. They have no nutrient and are pretty much all carb. Ie, unhealthy.

OP didn't ask if they taste good or if there could be worse.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    The question was 'is it healthy'. They have no nutrient and are pretty much all carb. Ie, unhealthy.

OP didn't ask if they taste good or if there could be worse.

Why would they not be healthy? Chilli offers nothing of nutrition but people still consume it.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

yeh, don't believe what you read

tumblr_m6yuiiThRe1r11icwo4_250.gif
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Indeed, look at all those Asians wasting away, they'll be extinct soon.

LOL - This! Great reminder -I had forgotten all about them!. FF crm chz, cucumber, onion..mmmmmm !
  • joselo2
    joselo2 Posts: 461
    Options
    rice cakes are bad?? Well, I'll go back to eating chocolate cake instead, that is better for me right? hehe sounds fun!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i read in a magazine (so not the best source of information but ya know)
    that you should ditch the rice cakes while trying to lose weight as they have little nutritional value or something, and i only really like the ones that are smothered in caramel so i guess those are most definitely not healthy!