Do you really think rice cakes are healthy?

Options

Replies

• abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    who cares what he thinks? who is he the rice police? get on with your own issues and leave the rest of us to sort ourselves out.

calm down, there is no need to get angry over this!

the topic is "is eating rice cakes healthy" to which some agree and some disagree....what i told was my own experience, you don't have to agree with me....
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    They have almost no nutritional value. Are they even good? I don't think so.

Editing out my post...
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    <<snipped some quoted materials. Look above for reference>>

You should read health magazines and papers to know more about effects of eating rice....

See since i am an indian and not caucasian,My body structure and build up is vastly different.Rice is known to be a leading cause of obesity and diabetics amongst asians and specifically south Asians..

I became obese during my teenage years precisely because of my consumption of rice and other items like mango,banana.Even in those days i was not a junk eater...

During my initial days of weight loss program My weight loss was very slow.So i went to see a nutritionist who told me to abandon eating rice completely and now 1 year later i am 94 lbs down and still loosing 2 lbs every week.

First off, health magazines are NOT a good source of info. They give you the latest fads and diet pills sponsored by the sellers. Which is why I asked for Peer-Reviewed research which isn't funded by said companies.

Second, I AM Asian also. We're not unique species. Rice doesn't just magically make us fat and not make white people fat. Rice isn't racist.

Eat the damn rice cake. Just eat it in moderation! I eat fruits, carbs and everything and I, along with many others, are losing weight.

yeah i agree anything in moderation is not bad for health....Unfortunately i am so much afraid of eating rice that i will not be consuming it for a while....

Wait...you know how many calories are in a mango & banana as well? I'll assume it's not because you were eating rice that you became obese, but more then fact you were just over eating in total. A banana, depending on size, can range between 90 calories to a whopping 130 per banana. Then add the mango.... then whatever else you were eating. Then you may not have been doing as much physical activity and not burning off all that fruit.

Yes i used to eat a plate of rice and 2-3 mangoes and banana and lead a very sedentary lifestyle which resulted in me getting obese...
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Rice is not good for health

Care to explain why. Seriously, I am very interested. I am sceptic about many health claims online though so care to explain via some linked peer-reviewed studies why rice is not good for your health?

See, i have a been there done that experiences and i am telling from my own experience and not making up...

Rice contains a lot of carbs, these carbs when digested into the system is converted into fats and you know what happens when a lot of fat is accumulated in the body...

Rice is good for people who work very very hard like farmers and peasants of developing country and not for people in USA.

My weight loss was slow initially but became rapid when i completely abandoned rice!

So you cannot provide a scientific reason. Gotcha.

BTW, what you're talking about is weight loss. See, many people tend to eat alot more calories easily when consuming carbs. Carbs can be very high in calories so its no surprise. However, weightloss doesn't always mean health. You talked about rice as if its NaOH and will kill your flesh and bones after contact. You got your weight loss by decreasing your calories and hard work. I have done my weight loss via hard work and eating everything in moderation. Mine is slow. Sure. But it is fine because I am MUCH healthier than folks who have done the fast track of weight loss. I eat everything. I don't binge anymore because there really isn't anything to binge... I eat everything as it is!

Don't deprive yourself of food in the name of health. You can be healthy and eat rice cakes

carbs are not very high in calories, theyre same as protein, 4calories per 1g.
    fat is high in calories 9calories per 1g
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    <<more snipping>>

Yes i used to eat a plate of rice and 2-3 mangoes and banana and lead a very sedentary lifestyle which resulted in me getting obese...

So I guess eating too much and not moving enough is the real evil and my white rice is not racist or a criminal!

YAY!!! I knew white rice was innocent!!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Care to explain why. Seriously, I am very interested. I am sceptic about many health claims online though so care to explain via some linked peer-reviewed studies why rice is not good for your health?

See, i have a been there done that experiences and i am telling from my own experience and not making up...

Rice contains a lot of carbs, these carbs when digested into the system is converted into fats and you know what happens when a lot of fat is accumulated in the body...

Rice is good for people who work very very hard like farmers and peasants of developing country and not for people in USA.

My weight loss was slow initially but became rapid when i completely abandoned rice!

So you cannot provide a scientific reason. Gotcha.

BTW, what you're talking about is weight loss. See, many people tend to eat alot more calories easily when consuming carbs. Carbs can be very high in calories so its no surprise. However, weightloss doesn't always mean health. You talked about rice as if its NaOH and will kill your flesh and bones after contact. You got your weight loss by decreasing your calories and hard work. I have done my weight loss via hard work and eating everything in moderation. Mine is slow. Sure. But it is fine because I am MUCH healthier than folks who have done the fast track of weight loss. I eat everything. I don't binge anymore because there really isn't anything to binge... I eat everything as it is!

Don't deprive yourself of food in the name of health. You can be healthy and eat rice cakes

carbs are not very high in calories, theyre same as protein, 4calories per 1g.
    fat is high in calories 9calories per 1g

Was referring more towards the portion size etc but good catch :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    :smooched:
    For me...........it is healthier and safer than a bar of chocolate, as I can stop at one :laugh:

Chocolate chip ones taste awesome when broken up and added to greek yoghurt.

Actually melt some dark chocolate & add some sriracha sauce into it, then dip the rick cakes into it & let it go hard. Chilli-chocolate rice cakes....... yummmmmmm

Mind. Blown. You are my hero.:smooched:
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am not a big fan of them because they get boring. My six asks for them, but ends up not eating them. I would rather she ate food with more calories anyway. My little one is the same, but she actually eats veggies..actually she will eat anything , so we watch she doesn't over eat lol . Anyway rice cakes blah to me in most ways. Personal choice I guess :)
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    No rice!

Really?! I wonder what the Chinese have been doing for centuries....

rice isnt bad for you. for some people they need more carbs than others. (not just the hard workers) but for the people who are even runners. they need carbs.

anyways. my point is that rice also contains mercury. so eating too much is bad.

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/58350/description/Mercury_surprise_Rice_can_be_risky

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/foods-containing-mercury-3669.html
    (little something they said)

Rice, a staple food in China and throughout Asia, has been contaminated by mercury in areas close to industries that produce large amounts of mercury as waste. A report published in the September 2010 issue of "Environmental Health Perspectives" found that 7 percent of adults living in Wanshan province had blood levels of methylmercury that exceeded the tolerable weekly limit. Bacteria in rice paddies convert mercury that falls in industrial waste into the more dangerous methylmercury. Researchers also questioned whether methylmercury levels set for safe consumption in fish might be too low for food such as rice. Fish naturally contains substances that have neuroprotective benefits, such as omega-3 fatty acid, which rice and other foods lack.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    For me...........it is healthier and safer than a bar of chocolate, as I can stop at one :laugh:

Actually melt some dark chocolate & add some sriracha sauce into it, then dip the rick cakes into it & let it go hard. Chilli-chocolate rice cakes....... yummmmmmm

Thank god I finally did something right on this site

let me tell you don't mix depression, painkillers, chilli (chilli makes the effects of the painkillers stronger & makes me high), chocolate & PMS together in one day & then post on here about pregnant women
  • jennifer_417
    Options
    Also, I really like Quaker caramel corn flavored ones.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I looove rice cakes! Better than me reaching for a choclate bar or a bag of crisps! :D
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    My rice cakes contain:
    30kcals
    0.6g protein
    6.2g carbs
    0.2g fat
    0.3g fibre.

I don't see anything unhealthy there - they are great as a crunchy base for cottage cheese and cucumber and I enjoy eating them.

No food is unhealthy in a balance diet.
  • jennifer_417
    Options

Thank god I finally did something right on this site

let me tell you don't mix depression, painkillers, chilli (chilli makes the effects of the painkillers stronger & makes me high), chocolate & PMS together in one day & then post on here about pregnant women

Don't sweat it...it doesn't take much to get crucified on the boards. That's why there are so many "WHY IS EVERYONE SO MEEEEEEAAANNNN" posts. Heck, I even made one when I was still a noob.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    My rice cakes contain:
    30kcals
    0.6g protein
    6.2g carbs
    0.2g fat
    0.3g fibre.

I don't see anything unhealthy there - they are great as a crunchy base for cottage cheese and cucumber and I enjoy eating them.

haha yeah i tend to see crackers/rice cakes etc as methods of eating hummus... don't really care too much what they taste like, just want somethign low cal to get my hummus into me :)
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    My rice cakes contain:
    30kcals
    0.6g protein
    6.2g carbs
    0.2g fat
    0.3g fibre.

haha yeah i tend to see crackers/rice cakes etc as methods of eating hummus... don't really care too much what they taste like, just want somethign low cal to get my hummus into me :)

mmm hummus :love:
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Rice contains a lot of carbs, these carbs when digested into the system is converted into fats

Fats are fats. Carbs are carbs. Calories are made up of fats, carbs, and proteins. They don't magically convert from one to the other.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They have almost no nutritional value. Are they even good? I don't think so.
    Well la-dee-da!
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    My rice cakes contain:
    30kcals
    0.6g protein
    6.2g carbs
    0.2g fat
    0.3g fibre.

mmm hummus :love:

i have an organic homemade one i got at a farmers market today. it's so good i was trying to figure out how to add it to my dinner tomorrow night. which is going to be roast chicken. so it's probably gonna have to be a sauce :laugh:
  • dragonbun
    Options
    I'm starting to think that rice and carbs are NOT unhealthy.

I'm Chinese and my daily lunch and dinner consists of rice/pasta/pizza/fast food. Mostly rice though and my BMI never exceeded 20.5.

Throughout my attempts to cut off rice over the years I had many people advise me against it.. Traditional chinese doctors told me not to because my body needs the amino acids in rice. And even by reducing my intake I did not see significance in weight loss, or feel healthier. In fact felt worse.

2 weeks ago I started restricting my carb intake and reduced white rice consumption by 70%. I ate occasional full portions of brown rice. I am not craving white rice now but I know I need it. I feel weak and nauseous all over and am not functioning properly. Its just that my gut has become quite upset and accustomed to the reduced intake I cannot properly eat. Mistake by crash dieting arghhhhh. I've learnt my lesson ><

I think like what people have mentioned it's not the carbs but eating habits... I ate junk, deserts and snack on chocolates.. but I didn't do it everyday. I also noticed that I cannot finish the big "American sized" portions in Western restaurants here, so I guess Asian portions are generally smaller? I don't know bout eating habits in America but I'm curious to know.

So yes... can't wait to go back to rice!! Hopefully my appetite increases tomorrow. And no I'm not a farmer. I'm a college student who never exercises.