medical marijuana for weight loss

Options
124»

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    That's funny, since they use an extract from marijuana to help with wasting disease to help people gain weight.
  • cmcbee90
    cmcbee90 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    that sounds counter intuitive since all I have ever heard about marijuana is that it gives you the munchies.

Exactly my thoughts!!!
  • Marg3030
    Marg3030 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This would be more likely to drop your motivation to exercise and interfere further with the reward pathways (dopamine release, etc) which is probably influencing your eating patterns. The science would not back this one up. As others have said, the munchies wouldn't help.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    only way I can see how it would help with weight loss is maybe your perception of how you look... meaning you're so stoned when you look in the mirror you don't care? lol :laugh: :laugh:
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    number 1 - smoking marijuana gives u tyhe munchies
    number 2- u have to have a valid medical reason(not weight loss), documents from drs, money.................
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Maybe its weed that gives u super powers and makes you do stuff! I want some!
  • norcal_yogi
    norcal_yogi Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    ...generally...No. its' quite the opposite. Smoking weed helps bring back/awaken your appetite...hence, that's why it's often prescribed for nausea.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    UHHH...I HEARD through the grapevine weed makes you hongry...I doubt medical marijuana would have a different effect.
  • erbell3
    erbell3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has already been said, but I recently read a research article that indicated that people who smoke pot tend to weigh less than non-smokers. The gist of the conclusion/explanation was that marijuana possibly changes the body's insulin response, leading to decreased blood sugar. I can't remember the source otherwise would cite.
  • ShmareParks
    ShmareParks Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I can only see this working if the weed makes the person devour large bags of chips SO FAST that it actually burns calories.
  • justamyagain
    justamyagain Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person and the type of weed that you smoke. Actually some of the thinnest people I know are long term smokers.
  • JRSchumaker
    JRSchumaker Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of pot decreasing appetite.

My grandmother who is terminally sick, was prescribed a sort of pill form of marijuana called Marinol to INCREASE her appetite, only because medical marijuana isn't covered by her insurance and smoking it is still illegal in my state.

Everyone I know, myself included who is an occasional toker ends up like this:

1688wev.gif

I do not see any cheese, peanut butter, or popcorn in his possession.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,149 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    8. Posts Must Abide By All Legal Statutes
    a) Do not post messages that violate federal, state/provincial, or local laws which include, but are not limited to, anything that violates a copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or is bound by NDA (non-disclosure agreement).
    b) Posts which promote or encourage illegal activities, including, but not limited to, use of illegal substances, violence against others, and procurement of prescription drugs without a prescription, are prohibited.
    c) Images containing hateful or violent imagery, depiction of illegal activities, or copyrighted material are not allowed and will be removed.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Olivia
    MyFitnessPal Community Manager
This discussion has been closed.