Help with 8 and 4 year old

Options
Capt_Apollo
Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
So i have two girls, and 8 and a 4 year old. I need to really help them with proper eating. the 4 year old isn't much of a breakfast eater, but has started eating a little more heartily in the morning. the older one never had a problem eating first thing.

the older one is a little heavier, and i'm trying to get her to eat a little less. the younger one is just a bottomless pit and can eat anything.

the problem comes at night, as i only feed them twice a day. at night, the younger one is going crazy crying and screaming her head off. i try and make them wait until meal time, but the crying just gets to me, and i might feed them both a little early.

another problem occurs with the older one. she eats so fast that sometimes she throws up a few minutes after dinner. but the reason she eats fast is because the little one kinda steals her food sometimes.

so, any help on getting them to slow down their eating and being better at waiting for meals??

Replies

• MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Give them a Flintstone vitamin first thing in the morning. That should do the trick.
  • rhogr000
    rhogr000 Posts: 126
    Options
    So i have two girls, and 8 and a 4 year old. I need to really help them with proper eating. the 4 year old isn't much of a breakfast eater, but has started eating a little more heartily in the morning. the older one never had a problem eating first thing.

the older one is a little heavier, and i'm trying to get her to eat a little less. the younger one is just a bottomless pit and can eat anything.

the problem comes at night, as i only feed them twice a day. at night, the younger one is going crazy crying and screaming her head off. i try and make them wait until meal time, but the crying just gets to me, and i might feed them both a little early.

another problem occurs with the older one. she eats so fast that sometimes she throws up a few minutes after dinner. but the reason she eats fast is because the little one kinda steals her food sometimes.

so, any help on getting them to slow down their eating and being better at waiting for meals??

When I was kid I ate when it was meal time and I ate what my folks put on my plate. If I didn't like it, I went to bed hungry.

You gotta be the parent, don't let your kids manipulate you. You set the rules and they abide by them. They don't want breakfast? Too bad...they're gonna eat it.

And, good Lord, how fast does your child have to be consuming food that they're throwing up immediately after dinner? You probably need to get a handle on that real quick.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    can you cut down the heavier one to one meal a day?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

jesus, i'm not a monster
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    So glad someone posted this...My friend has a similar problem with her 2 boys...except it's the younger one who eats way too fast. He doesn't puke though...he just tries to steal the older ones food. Even when they get the occasional snack, the younger one just inhales it and shoves the older one out of the way.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

And, good Lord, how fast does your child have to be consuming food that they're throwing up immediately after dinner? You probably need to get a handle on that real quick.

Um, he's obviously asking for help on how to do that...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

jesus, i'm not a monster

Well, in my house, my 12 and 10 year old girls get dinner only. They're doing great like that! Totally healthy!
  • MiniMichelle
    MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Do you have a McDonalds close?? Make the older one run along side of the car while you and the younger one drive to McDonalds. Order a #1 AND a 20pc Nugget for the younger one and a Diet Coke and salad (no dressing) for the older one to eat once you arrive back to the house (she has to run both ways for her nightly meal)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    When the younger one starts crying for the evening feeding, maybe give her a little snack. You might have to distract the older one, though.

You can also encourage the older one to play more, which will help her get a bit thinner. She might also need a supplement to keep her from puking.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Do you have a McDonalds close?? Make the older one run along side of the car while you and the younger one drive to McDonalds. Order a #1 AND a 20pc Nugget for the younger one and a Diet Coke and salad (no dressing) for the older one to eat once you arrive back to the house (she has to run both ways for her nightly meal)

serious answers only please
  • LoveCR22
    LoveCR22 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Free feed.

If they know food is always there they won't eat so fast or as much and won't puke it back up
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options

The OP was asking for help, not a trip to prison!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Honestly to slow down the consumption you are going to have to introduce snacks and only eating twice a day I am not shocked that they are famished and speedy eating/stealing off the siblings plate.

More filling meals that take time to eat, having snacks through out the day that are easy for them to grab and go with (my daughter can open yogurt, find a spoon and grab some fruit out of the fridge by herself and eat it quietly and without mess and dispose of the left overs and she just turned 4 in november, your daughters should both be able to do the same) also having foods that can go with them (snack packs and what not) are a great thing. If you can find the time, do outdoor activies that help your older daughter to be more active so that you can use activity to control her weight instead.

If you continue to have problems with weight after doing this then you might needs to see a registered dietician and a pediatrician to find out what is going on and what your options are.
  • ruthanne778
    ruthanne778 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am assuming that there is a school lunch in there somewhere. What happened to three square meals a day?

consider adding activity to the routine rather than withholding food will get better results. Withholding foods can create more food issues than you know.
    Younger child eating too fast - split the portion into two plates, she can goggle the first, have a drink of milk or water and then have the second. Same food, longer period to eat
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    They are 8 and 4, tell them when and what they are going to eat. It doesn't matter that one is heavier as long as they are not obese (or has binging issues with food), they will grow out of puppy fat :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I am assuming that there is a school lunch in there somewhere. What happened to three square meals a day?

consider adding activity to the routine rather than withholding food will get better results. Withholding foods can create more food issues than you know.
    Younger child eating too fast - split the portion into two plates, she can goggle the first, have a drink of milk or water and then have the second. Same food, longer period to eat

they do like milk
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Is the topic serious? I get the feeling that the joke's on us - that you're talking about your cats or dogs.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Is the topic serious? I get the feeling that the joke's on us - that you're talking about your cats or dogs.

After their last answer I am getting that too...
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Why are you allowing one child to take food from your other child?? That's just not acceptable. For your fast eater, maybe try to give them very small portions, wait a few minutes during meal time, give them a bit more, wait a few minutes, etc until they get the proper portion, just in smaller increments. Sounds like a behavior problem for both kids, IMO, and setting some firmer rules at meal time would likely solve the problem.
  • Elma1975
    Elma1975 Posts: 58
    Options
    First of all, split them up at the dinner table, that is keep them as much apart as possible by the kitchen table that way they should be able to relax and eat normally.

If they are so hungry then give them fruits or vegetables. If they don´t want that then they are not hungry. You are the parent, you are the one in control so take control.