Help with 8 and 4 year old

Options

Replies

• sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused as to why they only eat 2 meals a day? My kids eat three meals a day plus free snacks fruits or veggies any time a day, except an hour before a meal. I have 4 between the age of 2 and 9 none of them are over weight. But they do spend all there free time outside playing too.

If you offered them raw fruits or veggies as a snack they wouldn't be staving at dinner time. And if they don't want that kind of snack they are not that hungry and can wait for the meal.

Also if there meals are higher in protein and good fats and lower in carbs and sugars it will stick with them longer.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused as to why they only eat 2 meals a day? My kids eat three meals a day plus free snacks fruits or veggies any time a day, except an hour before a meal. I have 4 between the age of 2 and 9 none of them are over weight. But they do spend all there free time outside playing too.

If you offered them raw fruits or veggies as a snack they wouldn't be staving at dinner time. And if they don't want that kind of snack they are not that hungry and can wait for the meal.

Also if there meals are higher in protein and good fats and lower in carbs and sugars it will stick with them longer.

Mine only eat twice a day. Sometimes if I'm up really late I'll give them another meal at midnight, 1 am so they don't bother me so much the next morning.
  • 84jeepster
    84jeepster Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am with some of the other posters above. I would feed them more, healthy food and if they want snacks in the middle, send them outside to chase something down on their own. They may even bring a piece home and leave it on your doorstep.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If this is about children, you should probably show them who's the grown up. Children shouldn't be eating off each others plate unless they are done, and even if one is still hungry, give them more. As of the older one, just get her more active and maybe let her help you cook. The healthier you feel them and the more the participate in the kitchen, the more the will actually enjoy their food. If you make a rule they can only eat off their own plates and sit them where they cannot reach each other, that will stop one from eating faster.

If this is about cats, I don't know what to say. Leave more food to snack on...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,715 Member
    Options
    So i have two girls, and 8 and a 4 year old. I need to really help them with proper eating. the 4 year old isn't much of a breakfast eater, but has started eating a little more heartily in the morning. the older one never had a problem eating first thing.

the older one is a little heavier, and i'm trying to get her to eat a little less. the younger one is just a bottomless pit and can eat anything.

the problem comes at night, as i only feed them twice a day. at night, the younger one is going crazy crying and screaming her head off. i try and make them wait until meal time, but the crying just gets to me, and i might feed them both a little early.

another problem occurs with the older one. she eats so fast that sometimes she throws up a few minutes after dinner. but the reason she eats fast is because the little one kinda steals her food sometimes.

so, any help on getting them to slow down their eating and being better at waiting for meals??
    Chocolate cake. It has flour, eggs, milk, and carbs.:laugh:
    I remember this from Bill Cosby.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I think limiting young children to one meal a day is a bad idea. They need frequent small meals (which is why schools do an am snack and a mid day meal to keep energy levels up.) They may be hungry if filling up on junk as their bodies may not be getting what they need nutritionally, so I agree with giving them a vitamin. Also, for bottomless hunger pick something healthy that you don't limit. In our house this is watermelon and carrot sticks. It gives them a feeling of control so they are happy, but generally I have found with my kids they don't over eat these things as they would sweets.

Also agree that you should set some limits. There is no reason an 8 year old should be stealing food from a sibling. She/ He is old enough to know better.

Lastly, does the eldest participate in any sports? This would help with weight control too.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    LOL, this really had me going for a second. Cats, yeah....I've always just left out dry food and they eat when they're hungry.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    We make one dog lay down while the other eats.
  • tobejune
    tobejune Posts: 177
    Options
    First I thought WTH is wrong with this parent. Then I thought, WTH is wrong with these people answering. Then I started to laugh at how serious I take life.

I have the same problem with my cats. I figure eventually my older cat will get with the picture and give the little one the smackaround she deserves for eating all his food. Right now I feed them once, at night, so they don't bother my real child while he's going to sleep.

What kind of food do people use? I spend way too much on cat food :/

ETA: I recently learned that after getting a cat fixed they tend to gain weight.

Also, for the fat one, dose 'er up with catnip, that'll have her running around burning a few hundred extra cals a day :)
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Dry or wet food?
  • salemnye
    salemnye Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    First I thought WTH is wrong with this parent. Then I thought, WTH is wrong with these people answering. Then I started to laugh at how serious I take life.

I have the same problem with my cats. I figure eventually my older cat will get with the picture and give the little one the smackaround she deserves for eating all his food. Right now I feed them once, at night, so they don't bother my real child while he's going to sleep.

What kind of food do people use? I spend way too much on cat food :/

ETA: I recently learned that after getting a cat fixed they tend to gain weight.

Also, for the fat one, dose 'er up with catnip, that'll have her running around burning a few hundred extra cals a day :)

I use Purina indoor/natural one. I don't buy food with dyes in them because my older kitty throws up if he eats too fast and red stains on the carpet are no fun. Each bag lasts 1 month ish. We have 2 cats
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    This is about cats, isn't it? :laugh:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Dry or wet food?

dry in the morning, wet in the evening.

little one used to turn her nose up at the dry food, but has been eating more of it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

neither one of them likes catnip
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    OMG, some of you people are so freaking gullible. LOL
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I think this is the best thread I've read all day!
  • beetqueen1
    beetqueen1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wait, what is this about?
  • fightingthefood
    Options
    Kids had a rooster that refused to eat a new brand of food. He went well with a pot of dumplings.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I just leave food out for them all day. Cuts down on sibling rivalry and food stealing. They also tend to eat reasonable portions rather than engorging themselves.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    This thread gave me the LMAO of the day. I think it took me longer to figure out what was going on than it should have...