Help with 8 and 4 year old

Options

Replies

• Bentleymama86
    Bentleymama86 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My kids are 6, 5, 3, and 2. They eat several times throughout the day. I make them breakfast, lunch and dinner. But in between meals they can have as much broccoli, spinach, carrots and other veggies as they choose. They are all healthy, and never whine for food :)
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I am assuming that there is a school lunch in there somewhere. What happened to three square meals a day?

consider adding activity to the routine rather than withholding food will get better results. Withholding foods can create more food issues than you know.
    Younger child eating too fast - split the portion into two plates, she can goggle the first, have a drink of milk or water and then have the second. Same food, longer period to eat

they do like milk

milk and tuna...

ensure their food contains taurine. As you must know, it is essential in their diets and any food made for them should contain it.

Also, if you brush her hair often, she will throw up less.
  • steff718
    steff718 Posts: 18
    Options
    can you cut down the heavier one to one meal a day?

jesus, i'm not a monster

REALLY did u just ask her to cut her 8 yr old to one meal a day?? who does that.. we all know we should eat atleast 3 times a day.
    Make healthier selections and if they have snacks just switch to healthier snack. My 6 yr old daughter is over weight. I stopped buying sugary drinks and bought water and they put packets of crystal light or sugar free drinks in them for flavor, stocked up on fruit and veggies and if they are hungry or want a snack then they will eat it. I dont make my kids eat something they dont like but i atleast have them try it. Most of the time it turns out they do like it. I also have a 12 yr old son and hes too skinny. But i made these slight changes for the both of them so my daughter didnt feel it was only her. I do the same as well.. we only drink water and they will drink milk in the morning.
    As for you lil one taking the older ones food try separating them at dinner. have them sit acrossed the table from one another. Good Luck!
  • Kiyoko38
    Kiyoko38 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My thoughts in case it helps....I think making a routine for their eating habits is your best bet. They are old enough to tell you what they like, but not old enough to decide how and what to eat for their meals on a consistent basis. This is the perfect time to start showing them good eating habits. You decide what they should be eating, at what time and tell them what will happen. You may have to endure a few days, even a week of extra whining, but in the end they will realize that when you say it's time to eat, then it's time to eat. Of course when they go through a growth spurt they are naturally going to be bottomless pits. In those cases, just have lots of healthy snacks that they can choose from. My kids (9 and 4) have a shelf in the fridge that has snacks they can go in and grab anytime they feel hungry and it's not a normal meal time; apples, carrot sticks, yogurts, all things I know they will eat and they can grab without my help and I don't worry about them eating. I've read giving them one night a week to pick the dinner also helps them learn how to eat properly.

With them stealing each others food and what not...it sounds like they may be feeling a little out of control. Maybe a routine will help them know what to expect and calm them down a bit....
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Is this question really serious? I can't tell after the OP's last response.

If it is serious, why on earth are you only feeding your kids twice a day? No wonder they are starving and wolfing down their food! Feed them three healthy meals and a couple sensible snacks through the day. Maybe if they are eating more regularly, they won't be absolutely starving by dinner time!!

The more you try and limit their food, the more food will become an issue for them. Teach them to eat moderate portions of healthy food. Don't make food out to be evil. Also, allow them to be kids as well and eat chicken nuggets and pizza like their friends. Just teach them that stuff is a treat and not an every day occurrence.

I suspect that once you get them eating good food on a regular schedule, your younger one's wolfing to the point of throwing up may fix itself. She's HUNGRY! If that doesn't fix it, call her doctor!
  • lindalou4850
    lindalou4850 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    This is my opinion:
    I feel that a child of such a young age needs Breakfast, Lunch and dinner. If you want to give them a snack between breakfast and dinner I would offer fresh fruit , carrots celery broccoli . Only healthy snacks.
    As for the child that eats so fast because the other one will steal her food, don't they get seperate plates?
    I feel as though a child should have some sort of snack before bed. It helps them sleep better.
    The vitamin also sounds like a good idea!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I say feed them more often. My kids eat 4 to 5 times a day, like me. Sit at the table together and set the example of how to eat properly. Remember, growing kids need more calories than you think so don't restrict their calories, but restrict the types of food and amount. Also, I would not force breakfast on a kid who doesn't want it.

Fruits and vegetable snacks
    Cheese sticks
    yogurt

and lots of water.
  • 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Are they having an afternoon snack? My daughter (8) gets a small snack after school around 4pm. Then she eats dinner with us at 5:45pm. We have never and will never make separate meals for her. She eats what we eat. We weigh out her portion like we weigh our own. If she doesn't like the meal or is hungry after dinner, her only option is fruit (occasionally she gets dessert).

I think food selection is important. Try to find snacks with protein so that they are not eating tons of carbs which essentially do nothing for holding you over between meals.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Honestly to slow down the consumption you are going to have to introduce snacks and only eating twice a day I am not shocked that they are famished and speedy eating/stealing off the siblings plate.

More filling meals that take time to eat, having snacks through out the day that are easy for them to grab and go with (my daughter can open yogurt, find a spoon and grab some fruit out of the fridge by herself and eat it quietly and without mess and dispose of the left overs and she just turned 4 in november, your daughters should both be able to do the same) also having foods that can go with them (snack packs and what not) are a great thing. If you can find the time, do outdoor activies that help your older daughter to be more active so that you can use activity to control her weight instead.

If you continue to have problems with weight after doing this then you might needs to see a registered dietician and a pediatrician to find out what is going on and what your options are.

^^^This. I have three girls at home: 5, 9, 12. They eat a good breakfast and we pack them a lunch for school (school lunches are crap!) and they have a healthy snack when they get home from school (banana, apples, veggies) and then they have dinner.
    I can't imagine feeding my kids only 2 times a day. Their behavior (because of blood sugar levels) is always horrid when they don't eat. If you give them healthy snack options they will most likely eat less at dinner but it avoids the spiking and crashing of their blood sugar.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    just leave a huge bowl of food on the floor and let them eat at will. That's what I do and they fight a lot less now and I don't get woke up in the morning by a slap in the face asking for food...
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    i can't believe all these people took this seriously.

that said, feed them separately. feed the older one once a day. Or put her on adult diet food.

hand feed the younger one, and take it away if she gulps it down.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    Honestly to slow down the consumption you are going to have to introduce snacks and only eating twice a day I am not shocked that they are famished and speedy eating/stealing off the siblings plate.

More filling meals that take time to eat, having snacks through out the day that are easy for them to grab and go with (my daughter can open yogurt, find a spoon and grab some fruit out of the fridge by herself and eat it quietly and without mess and dispose of the left overs and she just turned 4 in november, your daughters should both be able to do the same) also having foods that can go with them (snack packs and what not) are a great thing. If you can find the time, do outdoor activies that help your older daughter to be more active so that you can use activity to control her weight instead.

If you continue to have problems with weight after doing this then you might needs to see a registered dietician and a pediatrician to find out what is going on and what your options are.

^^^This. I have three girls at home: 5, 9, 12. They eat a good breakfast and we pack them a lunch for school (school lunches are crap!) and they have a healthy snack when they get home from school (banana, apples, veggies) and then they have dinner.
    I can't imagine feeding my kids only 2 times a day. Their behavior (because of blood sugar levels) is always horrid when they don't eat. If you give them healthy snack options they will most likely eat less at dinner but it avoids the spiking and crashing of their blood sugar.

duh...
    not KIDS....
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Dry food so they can eat during the day (my cat won't touch it unless he's really hungry) and put one bowl higher up so the other doesn't immediatly nick it. Only feed half a pouch at a time if the younger one doesn't eat at breakfast time, and feed it to her half way through the day so they have more of a "lunch".

I can only assume you're talking about cats...
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I think you need to add in snacks! My kids eat all day every day. I have a 7 yo and 4 yo. They are actually border-line under weight. I think the 8 yo is eating fast because she is starving, I know me and if I don't eat often, I tend to eat fast and more than if I didn't snack all day.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Dry food so they can eat during the day (my cat won't touch it unless he's really hungry) and put one bowl higher up so the other doesn't immediatly nick it. Only feed half a pouch at a time if the younger one doesn't eat at breakfast time, and feed it to her half way through the day so they have more of a "lunch".

I can only assume you're talking about cats...

party pooper
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

jesus, i'm not a monster

REALLY did u just ask her to cut her 8 yr old to one meal a day?? who does that.. we all know we should eat atleast 3 times a day.
    Make healthier selections and if they have snacks just switch to healthier snack. My 6 yr old daughter is over weight. I stopped buying sugary drinks and bought water and they put packets of crystal light or sugar free drinks in them for flavor, stocked up on fruit and veggies and if they are hungry or want a snack then they will eat it. I dont make my kids eat something they dont like but i atleast have them try it. Most of the time it turns out they do like it. I also have a 12 yr old son and hes too skinny. But i made these slight changes for the both of them so my daughter didnt feel it was only her. I do the same as well.. we only drink water and they will drink milk in the morning.
    As for you lil one taking the older ones food try separating them at dinner. have them sit acrossed the table from one another. Good Luck!

I think it's hilarious that this poster called the OP "she."
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

jesus, i'm not a monster

Only a mother would do this to their kids, duh!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

jesus, i'm not a monster

Only a mother would do this to their kids, duh!

Right!!!
  • icmuse
    icmuse Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I keep my 6 year old on a very strict raw diet. 1 meal a day. Yeah, I am that kind of Nazi mother! It keeps her nice and lean. :glasses:
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    sorry... just sitting here LM AO at the answers... im surprised someone hasnt called child welfare on you:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: