You're getting too thin comments?

Options

Replies

• ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I got this from all my friends. I never felt better.
    Then I stopped listening to myself and listened to them and guess what???

I gained 30 lbs!!! :sad:

Thank you so much for posting this and for everyone who provided feedback.

Maybe I can back where I need to be............HAPPY!!
  • jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Grandma: You are too skinny! I make you cookies now. Wait here.

I love grandmas.
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I got comments a few years back when i lost weight in an unhealthy way. I was not eating enough and got too thin and ill, too many late nights and bad substances. Those comments were from my family and others close to me and were completely fair as they could see my habits...

A few years down the line, two kids, career etc. Gained weight, lost 51.4 lbs (10/15 lbs to go) I train hard and eat whatever i want, all i've heard from everyone including those same people have been compliments and congrats. It's amazing what a healthy lifestyle means to me and others around me.

All that I want it to be fit and strong, weight is a secondary side effect.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The weight that I like my body at is 15 pounds above my recommended BMI. When I am actually at that weight, my boyfriend tells me I look like I need a sandwich,my parents tells me I am making a lot of progress,and my grandmother tells me I need to lose another 50 pounds.

Perfect :laugh:
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I once actually flew away in the wind. Wind speeds close to 100 MPH up on Long's Peak Colorado. Me at around 90 pounds. I went about 10 feet before crashing! Good thing it wasn't near a cliff.

1269259657_omg_cat_zps2b16138c.gif

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One of my friends recently told me I don't need to lose any more weight. I'm 260 pounds. Even taking into account that I'm 6 foot, I am still obviously obese! Most mean it well I think. They just take some time to adjust after seeing you at a heavier weight for some time!
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    And high five to having the same surname caseyfairbairn! I've never actually met anyone with my surname, even in Scotland!
  • sinistras
    sinistras Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am also towards the middle of my BMI and my mom says I don't need to lose any more weight! Yeah, well I was just doing Jillian Michael in my underwear in my hotel room and that big mirror and the stuff I see bouncing up and down doesn't lie! Can easily shave off another 10-15 without getting too thin.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    People are just used to seeing you one way and when you change that it confuses them. It would satisfy other people if you had just stayed the same, it is comfort for them.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    When I tell people I want to lose 20 more pounds they say "where" ?

I hate that. I am still 20 lbs overweight they know it and I do.

I also hate when they discourage me from losing more and when they want all my "tips" and act dissapointed and tell them plain 'ole diet and excersize. Like I have a magic answer for them.

People want that Magic Pill that will work over night without effort.
  • SouthernCountryGirl
    Options
    leanneowens-I'm also 5'3" and right now, weigh about 126-128.

I'm 5'2" and looking to get to 125. Your weight sounds fine. Currently at 154, don't have anyone telling me I'm losing too much lol, but I did have someone tell me I was anorexic and if I didn't believe her I needed counseling because I ate less than 1200 a few days (not a habit I promise you, not by a long shot), but it really shocked me that I had to believe her or get counseling and I've never ever been called anorexic!! I have a wonderful love affair with food :)
  • glowgirl14
    glowgirl14 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    5'4, 121lbs. 14lbs from underweight.

Have been getting "those" comments since I hit 140. (Which, oddly, is only 7lbs from overweight for my height...)

My father is the worst.

"You are too skinny"
    "You need to stop losing weight"
    "You're anorexic."
    "If you don't start eating, I'm going to make you go to the dr." (I eat 1800-2000 cals/day...)
    "I can't believe you don't care more about your kids than this. What's going to happen to them if you get sick?

Others say I look like I'm going to blow away, and that I don't have anything left to lose.

Seriously...I don't get it. There are plenty of people around that are waaaaaaaaay thinner than me, and they don't seem to get these comments. But maybe I just don't hear them.

I'm healthy. Get over it...

Although, side note...my 9-yr-old keeps my head from getting big. He is thoughtful enough to tell me about all the diet pills he sees commercials for. "Mom, do you have more than 50lbs to lose? You should try ______." He was complaining about PE the other day, saying that he didn't need to exercise because he's skinny. I told him that exercise is more about strong muscles and healthy hearts than weight loss, and asked the (I thought) rhetorical question - I run every day. Am I fat?...His reply - "Well, not as bad as you used to be, but yeah..."
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    It's due to some combination of:

1) The person feeling insecure about himself, e.g. he thinks you are skinnier than him so if you have to lose weight, then he has to lose weight. He doesn't want to admit that he has to lose weight, so he tells you that you don't have to lose weight.

2) Responding "yea, you totally would look better if you dropped 20 lbs. Good luck!" would probably be taken as offensive by most people because they are implying you are overweight.

Best to just avoid the subject altogether. Besides, there's no such thing as dieting. You're always on a diet because a diet is what you eat.
  • Zuhwut
    Zuhwut Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Late reply, but I just had to respond.

Obviously I haven't been getting 'you're too thin' comments, because I still have a ways to go. But when I do tell friends that my goal weight is 130lbs. the flip the hell out.

'You'll be too thin at that weight!'

'That would be unhealthy for you.'

'That's too skinny!' yadda, yadda, yadda...

I'm 5'6", for crying out loud. I was overweight at my smallest, which was 150lbs. None of my friends have ever seen me at that weight, so how the heck would they know what weight would like right on me? When did 130lbs. become an exclusive club to which I never belonged?
  • RonW956
    RonW956 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I've gotten a few comments before from friends & co-workers. I dont really care what others say, Im the one out there jogging & getting toned & buying smaller clothes, not them.... I'm doing this for myself and no one else...
  • rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My son said "mom! stop, you're too thin now!" He says he feels guilty cause when he was 7, (he's 29 now), he made up a song about my fatness-it was called "Baby Beluga" as in whale.

I've heard more than one elementary school talent show where a song called "Baby Beluga" was sung. Perhaps he can attend one and relieve his mind of the guilt? (And then go on to wondering why he thought he made it up... I had that problem with "Over the Rainbow" for a while in my youth. My final conclusion: Memory is weird.)
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Having no shame, I counter that comment by grabbing some belly fat and shaking it at the naysayer while shouting, "See? See this???!!! I am not just seeing a fat person in the mirror! I am grabbing a fat person's fat!"

Works every time. I don't have much left to lose, but I definitely am not done and I will brook no argument on the subject until I have to struggle to pinch an inch.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them, They are jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I am getting it too, from my daughter too, who is size 8 (english) 'mum don't lose more, you don't look like my mum anymore' etc people don't like changes, it may come from simply don't accepting changes, doesn't have to be nasty :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    My family tell me this all the time...along with the " why do you exercise" thing as well :noway: