WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2013

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, great to hear of your special day's holiday. I send you my best wishes. For us it is just a normal bank holiday with normal bank holiday weather. - pouring rain! !!:laugh:
    We went to visit with our friends and had a sandwich lunch in a cafe under an umbrella in a cold downpour. Yuk!
    Then we went to try to find the village festival which had retreated indoors so was less than exciting.:sad:
    DH went off to watch his important final in the pub and we went to have a look at some art studios. I liked a plate, but with no money asked to borrow from my friend and when we had purchased the plate she said it was a present! !!!:blushing: :huh:
    Was I embarrassed! But she said when she comes to visit in November she is expecting one of my gourmet three course meals in return. NO PROBLEM!
    Unfortunately DH' s team lost after extra time :sad: :sad: :sad: but we have consoled ourselves with alcohol (not good) and I am consequently over calories and have had no exercise apart from walking up a steep hill. Tomorrow is another day, someone once said!
    Love to all. Thinking of those who are having a tough time. Hang in there :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I still weighed 201 today!!!!!!!!!!!!! So maybe my scales have finally decided to be nice to me. Some one asked how often we all weigh. I weigh daily. I know that the 'experts' suggest once a week or even less but I like daily. Now my husband is obsessed with the scales and will weigh several times a day. The Y was closed today and I hadn't gone to the mall with my husband for quite a while so I decided to do that. Plus I was curious to see how my increased endurance would hold out with walking. It wasn't as easy as riding my bike at the Y. But I got in 1.5 miles and walking a mile was really pushing it before I went to the Y. And I walked fast enough that I walked off about 250 calories. I took my headphones and planned on putting on my 80's cardio. As soon as I got in the mall my phone stopped working. So during one my breaks, I took 2, I played with my phone. I took it off wi-fi and just used the phones data plan and it worked just fine. Now my husband refused to walk with me as I tried to do some arm movements along with my walking. So I was a crazy looking 63 year old. My sister gave me a couple of blouses in March for my birthday. I buy my clothes in the womens department and was so happy that I had bought a 1X instead of 2X so that's what she bought. But she bought in the misses department and they didn't fit at all. She offered to take them back but I kept them and have jsut hung them as incentives to get into. So i tried them on yesterday again. I could wear them out, I have seen many women wear things that tight but I want them to fit me real nice.

Joyce, satisfied in Indiana
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,788 Member
    Options
    City Jane-you quoted Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind..
    Took Homer down to the park and we walked for about a mile.. and got him a drink when we got back to the car.He just loves it down there...
    Had a nice time today with the DH we dont get to spend quality time together as much as I would like..
    Glad everyone is enjoying there extended weekend:happy:
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi, Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday! Congrats to all those with such great scale victories this week and all nsv also.

Robin Happy Birthday enjoy your day

I had a great weekend we went camping lots of hiking and walking that would have had me wincing last year but this time just felt good to go at my own pace but join in on the fun. I even lost 1 pound this week so I'm a happy lady!!!

So sorry to hear of some of you that are sick or dealing with sick loved ones take care and thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Well got all my flowers planted today sure hope we are done with frosty nites. is warm here today, better go get some cleaning up done then dinner time

well wishes to all Juanita in sudbury
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    First, happy birthday Robin, the fish sounds yummy, Enjoy!

DH is home from the shooting match, he had a good time, so of course he wanted to take me out to lunch at Longhorns, did ok, but what they pass off as a salad wouldn't fill a tooth. The waitress looked at us real funny when I pulled olive oil and red wine vinegar out of my purse. I don't like what they use. The lunch portion grilled shrimp with sauce on the side, steamed veggies. I used a little of the sauce on the veggies was very good.

I walked this morning for a little under 2 miles, so I don't feel to bad, but my arms hurt like heck from yesterday.

Tigress in GA
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting around on the website but your photo caught my eye. So who is in the pic? Bodi? or Ritter?
    We have a Golden Retriever that is 5, she is very, very special to us. Didn't think I could love a pet so much. Her name is Jazz (Jasmine).
    Bodi is my yellow. Bodi means blond hair in old gaelic somewhere. Ritter is a chocolate lab. Ritter is a German Chocolate company. Bodi was about 1 and half in this picture. he is almost 4 now. thank you for asking. M fur boys are the loves of my life.( along with my husband and children and grandchildren of course ):laugh:

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
  • NewLuna
    NewLuna Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Robin- Thanks for sharing your two fur boys. Your Bodi looked like my Jazz in the small pic, but with expanding photo could tell he was a Lab. Sweet facial expression.
    Jazz and I walk daily on our property, with my attempting to play hide and seek from her. She is to keen on my attempts but seems to let me think I've hidden on occasion. I've taken to trying to trot behind her if she moves quickly, but I cannot keep up.
    It seems so far out of reach, but would love to be able to run with her one day.

Joyce - Glad to hear that you weigh every day. I don't feel so out of sorts about it now. In one days time I can fluctuate up to 5lbs so I keep that in mind and know that once a week is what I should strive for.
    Good for you to have been able to try on gifted shirts that fit now. I like the idea of incentive clothing. Most of my smaller clothes I probably would not wear but I do have older jeans that are in smaller sizes. I do plan, as the weight comes off, to get rid of my big clothes.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    yardigrass - WTG girl!

DeeDee - that was ever so nice of you to help that girl. Sometimes I will ask a stranger their opinion because I know that they don't have any ulterior motive (like a sales commission). I think Vince might be getting ready to go work outside. Hope he ordered more landscape fabric.

Got up, did about 55 minutes of the LaLoFit DVD (weights). I originally was going to go to the Y and use their weight equipment, but late last night I looked on the web and saw that they didn't open until 8!!! Then I ran to WalMart (forgot to get some greek yogurt, but I put that on my shopping list for the next time I go. I'm so happy they've started carrying the Arctic Zero ice cream. My March, and April, and May goal STILL hasn't been met. Oh well....one day it will

yanniejannie - Memorial Day was called Decoration Day a while ago.

Well, off to work outside.

katla - I will post them, trust me. Right now your daughter is just "considering" moving to IL, it may not happen

Worked outside from 9:30 until abround 5, then took a quick (and I do mean quick) shower just to get some of the dirt off me, then into the pool I went. It is just so relaxing floating and listening to the spillover.

Robin - happy birthday!!!!

Horselovers: We used to live right next to Unionville (BIG TIME horse country). Remember when Barbaro got injured? He went to New Bolton Center which was real close to us. I knew the owner, she went to the Y with me. Anyway, Jessica at the time Barbaro was there was working there, she got to pet him. Even the reporters didn't get to. She knew his vet. Anyway...I digress. I was starting to say that I had a big fear of horses, but living in Kennett Square right next to Unionville, I knew I had to get over it. I took some lessons. The first horse I was on was lame and couldn't run even if he wanted to. The instructor had to keep reminding me to breathe, I was so scared! But I got over it, never did get to where I would let the horse gallop but I didn't mind him cantering.

Did 50 minutes of a LaLoFit DVD today at home. Tomorrow I'll go to the Y and just swim some laps since we have a Newcomer board meeting Wednesday. They're going to have a breakfast for the committee heads. To be honest, I found out what they're serving, and I'll probably have something at home. But that isn't until Wednesday. Anyway, after the Y will go to the post office and then need to stop at the store to get strawberries. One of the gals who plays mahjongg asked for a strawberry shortcake. I've never in my life made whipped cream from scratch. I have this "thing" about buying something premade. So I'll need to make the whipped cream tomorrow since I probably won't have time what with bowling and then mahjongg.

grandmalle - glad you found some sneakers. Don't you just love it when you use coupons?

I take the body test on the Wii and that will tell me if I've gained or lost. But my "official" weigh in is weekly.

Going to make this short since I really would like to just lie down and rest

tigress in GA - your lunch sounds heavenly! So what if the waitress thought you had lost your marbles? One day she might very well wind up doing the same thing. Good for you

Michele in NC
  • colograndma
    colograndma Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi there Ladies!

Sounds like everyone had a great Memorial Day! We were busy, got flowers from our garden ready for our precious Marie (88) a friend that wanted to decorate her hubby's grave, and a friends at the Vets cemetery, plus her mom and dad's at another. Then tackled that dad gum woodbine some more, that silly thing goes on forever..:tongue: . and we have another one to get rid of still in our little jungle. We then put a drip system in our second raised bed. Drip system and sprinkles are new to us, and we are still working out the kinks, but it is coming along nice. So much easier than lugging hose everywhere. We put drip system along the walk yesterday, and it works great! Also worked with our compost bin... getting in more carbon material (old leaves from the pompus grass that we are also taking out). Our grandson is so happy that we are composting, he loves all " Saving nature" things, and I have learned it is quite the science, getting the "mix" just right, plus you need to stir it up and mix it up daily which in itself is a good work out :laugh: Got the old heart rate going.:bigsmile: Then came in and cleaned this messy house I have been ignoring lately. Tomorrow is work.

Meg: Hope you are getting rest! We are continuing to lift your Dad up in prayer!

Grandmallie : Hope it has warmed up your way some! We were in 90's again.

Joyce: Congrats on weight loss, you will be in Onederland soon! :flowerforyou:

YannieJannie: I was a navy wife too! You are spot on with how things were. DH was on the John F. Kennedy carrier... Lots of med cruises, and time away. I also remember Memorial day being called Decoration Day. And out here, that is still followed a lot. Everyone was decorating the graves of loved ones. One town that DH's folks were from have peony bushes planted between the head stones, built in decoration! :wink: A time to honor our military AND loved ones that are gone.

Yardtigress: Whoo Hoo girl, 5 pounds! Awesome!:heart:

Michele: What a special treasure you were given with those letters!

Katla: It is hard not to have emotions when you are worried about your daughter. We have 3 girls, and trust me, a lot of my stress eating came from stressing over how they are struggling or being used. I do not meddle but the girls know they can vent with me, and I will always be here to listen and help them see all points of a situation.

Robin: Happy Birthday! Hope it was a blessed day!

Well girls, I gotta go and get ready for work tomorrow. I have Jury duty on Tuesday :noway: then have to work 5 straight days.

Hugs, Connie :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,974 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: In 2009 I had to walk back and forth in the house at bedtime to get to 10,000 steps most days……I began to look for ways to add more steps earlier in the day so that didn’t happen and starting in 2011 I began to gradually increase the length of the morning walk, then added afternoon walks, and later added late afternoon or evening walks and that’s how my step count has gotten so high…

:flowerforyou: I attribute my ability to take long walks to gradual addition of time and very good nutrition and good shoes…..also having something interesting to listen to so my mind is occupied and doesn’t realize how long I’ve been walking.
    We had wind today that interfered with plans for pruning but I got yard chores done closer to the ground.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Just a quick check in to let you know I haven't fallen off the face of the earth.

My dad had another stroke this weekend so I've pretty much been at the hospital the whole time. He's doing ok, although has lost some of the sight in both eyes. Every day is a bonus.

I continue to log, but don't think I'll have much time to post for a while.

Love to you all.
    Amanda x
  • sunshine61250
    sunshine61250 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well, I weighed today and it wasn't near as bad as I thought it would be!!! I thought for sure I had gained some weight but ended up losing 1.5 pounds. I'm still farther away from my goal weight than I wanted to be at this point, but I'm not getting any closer to where I was so I'll take it.

cityjaneLondo, that was such a nice surprise! What do you normally cook for your 3 course gourmet meals?

jmkmomm, hooray! Those new tops will be fitting perfectly in no time!

grandmallie, I LOVE quality time with the hubby. Enjoy it!!! Seriously missing mine right now. He's on another business trip and I almost always go with him but we decided I needed an extra week to just relax and get better.

meyllisa, good for you! Camping and hiking is something that I wish we did more of. The fresh air is great for you.

Yardtigress, that made me smile! I carry balsamic vinegar (25 years old) with me when we dine out. Much better to know what your calories are and to not get sabotaged with the bottled stuff.

rjadams, our daughter-in-law was here in March. I was going to the store and asked her if she wanted anything. She asked for a Hershey's bar. I told her that Hershey's was not chocolate (IMHO) and can home with an assortment of Ritter bars. She said she's never eating Hershey's again. Yummy stuff!

exermom, a weights DVD? How does that work? Do you have to have all the weights already at home or do you use household things?

colograndma, I miss visiting the cemeteries on Memorial day when we are here. When we lived in the Netherlands, we would visit the American Military cemetery on Memorial Day but they don't have one here in Norway.

barbiecat , I keep telling myself that I need to get a pedometer and start recording my steps. Do you still try for 10,000 or do you try for more (or less) now that you are at your goal weight?

tiarapants, I'm so sorry to hear that! My father had several strokes before he passed away and my MIL had one several years ago. I know how hard it is on them and you. Prayers and hugs going out to you.

Have a great day everyone!

Joy
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Katla :smile: Sending you a hug! I know worrying about your daughter is stressful. Hopefully she will make the right decision! Congrats on the scale victory:flowerforyou: !!!

Liz Plus :smile: Sending prayers your way for your sister and you:flowerforyou: !

Robin :smile: Happy birthday:flowerforyou: ! I love Ritter chocolates:love: , had some at Christmas!

Grandmallie :smile: Congrats on getting your new shoes and at an awesome price!

Heather :smile: Hope the rain lets up and the sun shines for you today:glasses: !

Joyce :smile: Congrats to you:flowerforyou: !!! Those shirts will be fitting perfectly in no time!

Juanita :smile: Congrats for getting rid of that 1 pound:flowerforyou: !!! Sounds like camping and hiking was a lot of fun!

Tigress :smile: I think it`s perfectly fine to take your own salad dressing with you!

New Luna :smile: Playing hide and seek with your dog, that`s so cute:laugh: , Noel and I play that in the house, she always finds me!

Michele :smile: Homemade whipped cream is easy to make, chill your bowl and beaters in the freezer for a bit, add the heavy whipping cream a little sugar and vanilla and wala…the best whipped cream ever:love: !

Connie :smile: Sounds like your yard is coming right along, it is a lot of hard work getting things just so!

Barbie :smile: You just continue to amaze me with all you do!

Amanda :smile: So sorry to hear dad had another stroke, sending you both prayers and hugs:flowerforyou: !

Joy :smile: So nice to see you again! Glad you`re finally feeling better!!! Congrats for being 1.5 down!!!

Today is Noels birthday:love: , she`s 8 years old, still plays like a puppy:laugh: , I have to make a stop at the pet store and get her a little gift, her favorite toys are balls, I`ll see if I can find one she doesn`t already have:laugh: !

Time to get busy this morning, the long weekend is over, yesterday felt like a Saturday to me, I feel like I`m missing a day:sad: ! Hope today is a wonderful day for everyone! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in beautiful sunny and warm NC:glasses:
  • m3x43
    m3x43 Posts: 40
    Options
    Good morning!

Well, the damage from yesterday's cookout isn't too bad. The challenge now is not letting it morph into a week long binge! How did everyone else do over the holiday?

Robin - Happy Birthday!

Amanda - Praying for your dad.

Hope everyone else is healthy. Good luck with your goals for the week!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good Tuesday morning!

Sure was nice having a three-day weekend! Back to work today, first I'll tackle the house cleaning, oh wait, what am I talking about! First I'll put on the fitness channel and get in a good kickboxing workout, THEN doing the cleaning. Need to get my priorities in line here. Had a wonderful hike in the wet woods yesterday, and every day I do some walking, but I need some good, hot, burning cardio.

Had a marathon gardening day on Saturday, I'm still a bit sore from that episode. 8 hours straight is a little much. But I did get just about everything done that needed doing. Now if only the sun would shine!

I remembered to take my camera along and snap some garden photos, here's a link to my blog post if anyone cares to take a peek.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jb_2011/view/veg-garden-pics-536178

Amanda, so sorry about your dad. Take good care, dear.

Not a lot of time to comment this morning, wishing everyone a wonderful day!

:smile: jb in cool, cloudy, breezy, wet Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    New Luna: I weigh every day, too. I find it encouraging and motivating. :smile: Not everyone feels encouraged through the inevitable ups and downs that daily tracking reveals, though. People have to do what works for them.:flowerforyou:

Liz from Halifax: It sounds as though you’ve raised good kids. What a blessing! I’m sorry your sister is having a hard time.:flowerforyou:

Connie in CO: We’ve been using drip systems for a long time. They are wonderful! They don’t waste water, and they deliver to the plants perfectly. I have mine set up to automatically fertilize, too. Enjoy your lovely raised beds. As to meddling in the kids’ business…I try to be a listening post and then vent to DH—or all of you. Some times it is very hard to keep my opinion to myself, and once in a while I wonder whether I should be more open in expressing my opinions to my kids. Advice welcome.:bigsmile:

Amanda: I’m sorry your dad has had another stroke. Since my husband had his stroke, every headache makes me worry. The stroke stole vision from DH’s right side, and we were told that is a rare location in the brain for a stroke, and one of the least disabling. We count our blessings. I hope your dad recovers and has no additional strokes.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

DeeDee: Thanks for the good wishes for my daughter. I hope she is able to make a good decision. Add me to your good wishes list. I need to try to think unselfishly where this is concerned and it is hard to see her choose things that take her farther and farther away from us. :cry:

Today we have a fairly busy day. I have yoga, which is always a good way to start the day, and DH has a physical therapy appointment. This PT is really helping him in positive and noticeable ways. :bigsmile: Then we need to go to the hearing aide store. The new ones are working so well that we’ll be buying them, and the woman mentioned a no interest payment plan. I’d rather do that than take the money from savings. We’ll have some appointments to shuffle for the time I’m going to be in CO babysitting. My SIL is delighted that DH will be staying with her for a few days, so everything is going in a positive direction. :smile: Our son called yesterday and it was wonderful to have a chance to talk to him. :bigsmile: He has a few more weeks of training on the east coast and then will be home again. He and his wife will finally get to go on their honeymoon while I’m babysitting in CO.:heart:

Enjoy your day.:flowerforyou:

Katla in NW Oregon
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JB: I love your garden pictures. Thanks for sharing.:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. I think I am back! As I said on my homepage, no more company, no holidays, no trips, no more flooding in the basement, and dad is doing better, so NO more excuses! I can't believe how the month has flown by me.

I got all my chapters for the textbook in so now it's just a waiting game to get manuscript pages back. I'm caught up on one project, nearly so on another, and next week I will concentrate on a new test bank I took on (a small one but it pays really well!)

Hopefully dad will go back to the home today or more likely tomorrow.

I can't begin to catch up, but did want to say JOY: I'm glad you are feeling better and ROBIN: happy belated birthday!

Take care all...goal for the day is 6000 steps and the danged water!
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon all, spent the morning in the garden planting the rest of the beds. I just have 2nd set of lettuce and radishes next week and the potatoes Friday or Saturday.

Joy-glad you are feeling better. Longhorns has balsamic vinegar and I just don't like it, and they use the dark olive oil which to me is for cooking and I use the light colored olive oil because I like the taste better. Everyone likes something different.

Amanda- sorry to hear about your Dad, my prayers are with you.

Meg- glad you can slow down for a couple of days.

Got to go to Costco for yogurt later, right now I am tired, but I need to make lunch.

Tigress in GA
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues.More rain today.
    HUGS
    jane