Women with curly/kinky hair... anyone sick of it?

Options

Replies

• spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I am rocking the bald look. What hair I have is going grey or going away, so it is easier to simply shave it off. Be happy you have hair and enjoy it. I bet there are some curly styles you could enjoy. :-) Have fun with it. Life is a lot like stud poker, you play with the cards you are dealt.
  • alisonsouth
    alisonsouth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My daughter is mixed race and she has the same problem! I discovered the leave in conditioners by 'mixed chicks'..and they are a god send! i also use it on her hair as a styling serum (just run a small amount through her hair once dried).They have a ton of products,but this one worked well for her :) I hope you find what you are looking for :) x http://www.mixedchicks.net/ <--- try their link xxx
  • tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    ugh my hair is just a thick tangled MESS. i constantly keep it back in as tight of a ponytail as i can put it up in and have to slick it down with 1-2 tablespoons worth of super hold gel on top and pop in at least six strong hair clips near the base of the ponytail, otherwise i look like i just got done sticking a fork in a toaster. i HATE IT. i've had my hair thermally relaxed once and some locks have retained a bit of it, but the rest is...yuck. when wet it also comes down to the top of my butt so straightening it with nothing but my chi flat iron would take hours... and no matter how good it looks when i pull it back, the second i start sweating from exercising or doing physical labor at work, POOF. it's awful. i can't afford to get it relaxed again so i just kind of deal with it.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Only this one.
    oprah_zps4e9c3e39.jpg
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I wish I could have that cool curly look that I see other women have, but for some reason my hair goes flat at the top and flares out at ends as it dries. I look like Rosanne Rosanna Dana (and if you're to young to know this reference...google it)

edited to add: during the summer I do wear it natural, but end up putting it in a ponytail
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    The kinkier the better, I say.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I love my hair. I don't really know what to do with it, since it's shorter than I'm used to, but it's wavy without me spending any money or time on it, and if I wanted it to be straighter, it is just by growing it out and or brushing it. I do want to try going red though :smokin:
  • spike90
    spike90 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    SOOOOO sick of having curly hair all of my life. Had it straightened once and it looked horrible (looked like a giant "A")!!!!! I wish I didn't have to cake it in moose to keep it from frizzing all up and don't even think about taking a nap cause it will end up all tangled up and just plain bad!!!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm also a curly girl and have been for 6+ years now. Although I don't straighten or color it, my hair is not thriving like it once was because I've been neglecting it. When stretched, it used to come close to my elbow. Wearing it down, bunning it, and twists caused massive tangles. Over the past few months, I've trimmed it back quite a bit, sometimes an inch at a time. I used to want to keep my length and see how long it would grow, but now, all I want to do is cut it to a length that is more functional and less tangly. I especially want to cut the back really short and maybe even taper it at the neck because that's the part that tangles the most.

ETA: My profile pic is from Spring 2007. This length was really easy to care for and what I might cut it back to.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Under all this European silky weave my hair is in it's natural state.
  • Jarice12
    Jarice12 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm transitioning and already thinking "why am I doing this again?" I have about an inch and a half of relaxer left, but I cut off about 7 or 8 inches! I wear sew-ins for protective styles right now until my hair gets to about chin length. Then I am going to experiment of course. But right now, I'm having a hard time blending my curls with the "other" hair. My hair absolutely does not want to be straight! After I work out it curls right back up, sometime even before I start. At this point, I'm at a loss, and in a similar boat...
  • SoViLicious
    Options
    Only this one.
    oprah_zps4e9c3e39.jpg

Oh hell no! You said I was the only one!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Curly haired, ethnically ambitious women? The world needs more of them.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have bigger curls but I found that switching to a sulfate free shampoo helped a lot. And try to shampoo just your scalp-- rinse well (spend about 5 minutes or so rinsing) and that takes care of the rest. I also rub some coconut oil in it every couple of weeks, leave it in for 30 minutes or so and wash and condition normally. If you towel dry, just press and squeeze the water out with your towel as rubbing will damage your hair. I put in a little detangler/leave in conditioner and some soft hold mousse or gel and let it air dry and that's it.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Only this one.
    oprah_zps4e9c3e39.jpg

he is saying he is sick of her curly hair! LOL
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything helpful to add, just want to say I would kill for very curly hair. It is such a sexy look.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    WAHHH??? Looking it up right now!
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've learned to embrace my waves and just let it do it's thing which seems to suit me :happy:
  • SoViLicious
    Options
    Only this one.
    oprah_zps4e9c3e39.jpg

he is saying he is sick of her curly hair! LOL

Good.. because I did not want to have to cut O
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I have only recently embraced my curls and was an avid straightener. I also got it brazilian blow dried which has ruined my curls forever, they're not as nice as they were before and now I can't recreate them as much as I try :sad:

I really do think that the key to loving your curls is figuring out what works for you, no curl is the same and I know people who hate mousse but I could never go out of the house without it! I do hate how straight hair looks 'neater' in a professional setting though...I'm always paranoid I look like a wild woman :laugh: