Women with curly/kinky hair... anyone sick of it?

Options

Replies

• DMV_Spicegirl
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain. Natural hair is a beast to manage im resisting a relaxer but I sure miss the good ol days
  • mrsjoyw
    mrsjoyw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I've been relaxer free for about 15 years and my hair is naturally curly. It's beautiful to look at, but a PITA to maintain. I have to admit that I haven't been the best "au naturel" hair person. I usually wear it straight (by way of blowing drying and flat ironing) in the fall, winter, and spring and wear it curly during the summer. But with running or doing some sort of exercising, my hair always reverts. It would probably be best to just leave it curly, but I just don't want to. But I also don't want a relaxer again.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    A friend told me a while back to use an old t-shirt to dry my hair, because towels are so absorbant, they actually extract moisture from your hair. I have noticed a difference. I also agree with the post above to NOT brush or touch your hair. I have also stopped trying to pull my hair back into a tight pony tail or bun. When I have it up I wear it in a loose pony tail, then I don't have to fight the frizz.
  • EmilyEmpowered
    EmilyEmpowered Posts: 650 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend reading http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Handbook-Michele-Bender/dp/076115678X and to STOP using ANY shampoo, and switch to JUST conditioners.

Also check out - http://www.naturallycurly.com/CurlyGirlChallenge

Agree with this!! My children are mixed and now are 4 and 3 years old, I only condition their hair now, and it is so much healthier and not as dry and frizzy as it used to be. Their curls are so much prettier now. They can wear their hair down instead of me having to braid it like I used to to keep it under control. Also, def dont brush it!! Comb only

Although my curls have relaxed way more than I would have liked as I aged, now that my hair is growing out again it is getting some curl back and Right now, I mostly just condition and shampoo once or twice a week.
  • Okapi42
    Okapi42 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with you people? I love having curls! They're a big part of my identity, I'm afraid. Never straightened my hair, never plan to. Just because it's fashionable doesn't mean it looks better.

I just can't use a blow dryer or it ends up looking like my profile pic, so washing requires a bit of advance planning, but it only needs it every 3 days or so. And that's despite the fact that between martial arts, bicycling, and horses, it seems I'm always wearing a helmet.

I usually just wear an Alice band to keep it out of my face, but it also lends itself well to soft up-dos. If it gets really dry and frizzy, I use Twisted Sista leave-in conditioner or serum, but it rarely needs it except in winter.

Been considering colouring it, but I'm afraid that will make my curls go limp! My sister swears by henna, though, says it makes her hair very soft and shiny and fights the frizz.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I have curly kinky waist length hair but you would NEVER know because of the shrinkage.
    Wanna know how long it takes to detangle? --FOREVER ---

Just today I was thinking ---maybe just a teeny teeny bit of relaxer--they call that texlaxing

but naaaw
    <deep sigh>
    gonna tough it out :noway:

and when I let it out--:tongue: -people of cultures and in all languages say the nicest things about the wild wild kingdom on my head

one woman followed me across the street--- pulled out a paper and pen from her purse
    and started taking notes on what I did to get it to grow :laugh:
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Love my curls, but I desperately need a good cut. It's difficult to find a hair dresser that can cut curls well! I love DevaCurl, Mixed Chicks, Moroccan Curl Definer and Noodlehead (Sally's Beauty Supply). I agree, never brush your curls. Also, never towel dry ... Use an old t-shirt instead to squeeze out the moisture.
  • ROCKNMIMI
    ROCKNMIMI Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am in your shoes. I love my natural hair though....5 years in July. I thought about a relaxer but like you with two jobs I dont have time to worry about chemicals in my hair. I normaly wear it curly/kinky but was getting bored. I almost relaxed but remember I am one female who does not like to do her hair. On top of that I cut about 3 inches due to the tangles and nots...hahahah. Since I have cut it I have been wearing a flat ironed style...chemical free. I think its is getting trained because normally on rainy days like today I end up looking like "Mufasa" after the rain. I don't want any heat damage and working out without a relaxer makes for big hair anyway. This weekend I will start my wash and go's all over again and enjoy it with the heat approaching. I will add some highlights and lowlight over the summer to give me some PPPZZZZAAAZZZ! Stay away from sulfates and any product that as lots of "cones" in it. It dries your hair out. Kinky/Curly/Wavy hair needs more moisture than strait hair. It can be a hassle but you have to do what is best for you and your s schedule.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with you people? I love having curls! They're a big part of my identity, I'm afraid. Never straightened my hair, never plan to. Just because it's fashionable doesn't mean it looks better.

I just can't use a blow dryer or it ends up looking like my profile pic, so washing requires a bit of advance planning, but it only needs it every 3 days or so. And that's despite the fact that between martial arts, bicycling, and horses, it seems I'm always wearing a helmet.

I usually just wear an Alice band to keep it out of my face, but it also lends itself well to soft up-dos. If it gets really dry and frizzy, I use Twisted Sista leave-in conditioner or serum, but it rarely needs it except in winter.

Been considering colouring it, but I'm afraid that will make my curls go limp! My sister swears by henna, though, says it makes her hair very soft and shiny and fights the frizz.

So I heard--on my to-do list!!!
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    My hair does turn a little curly/frizz when it's humid. I don't like it at all. Makes it look like I didn't even wash my hair and I wash it every other day.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I don't know of a single hairdresser in London who can cut curly hair worth a damn. That's why it's past my boobs right now :laugh:
  • ROCKNMIMI
    ROCKNMIMI Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    ....someone said they don't shampoo. Maybe she meant she Co-washes. She washes her hair with conditioner instead of shampoo, like I do. When my hair is in its natural state I wash my hair maybe 3 to 4 times per week but with a natural conditioner instead of shampoo. I use a clarifying shampoo maybe once per month to remove build up from gels, mousses, oils, sprays etc.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    My hair is a curly, frizzy disaster if I just let it be... Like you my hair is up ALOT more than down. I can not go without washing my hair either so I have found that it is not always the most expensive things that work but the right combination over all.. Here is what works for me:

Suave, yes suave (believe it or not) lol Shea butter shampoo and conditioner combo. (olive green bottle) wash daily.
    Towel dry (lightly) then brush you hair immediatley before it dries. While still wet, put a bit of curls unleashed (walgreens I know carries it) in your hair and brush through. Let it air dry. Both the shea butter shampoo and the curls unleahsed will help smooth your hair and control frizziness. Curls unleashed has a number of products that will help you and it is a natural product which is a bonus over all. This works for both myself and my daughter, who was cursed with my hair!. From time to time I will also use a bit of moraccan oil spray.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    my only contribution to this is simple. People generally look best in their natural state. If you were born with curly hair you truly do look best with it. If you were born with brown hair and now lighten it, yes I am sure you look good. However for most people they look best natural.

Personally just based off the picture of the OP, I think she is gorgeous I would flaunt that curly hair. Many women would die for that hair, the grass is not always greener on the other side.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    By the way I love your hair!

I myself have waivy hair and very fine so I keep it short

However not to highjack your post but I need some advice from all you curly haired ladies. My daughter will be 4 this month and as I stated I have waivy not curly hair so not sure how to take care of curly hair and she has curly hair almost like the OPs I get many compliments when we are out about her hair.

But I dont know what to do. Every other day I wash her hair (with shampoo) put conditioner on hair only not scalp. I put silk drops on her hair and use a thick comb to brush and every time hair appears on the comb. I cant just leave it alone because its so tangled. Help please I dont have a curly hair stylest/expert to talk to and I dont know what to do....
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    :happy: I would *love* curly hair! My is stick straight and b-o-r-i-n-g! It is so fine it doesn't hold a style. Curyly/kinky hair is fun and full of personality! So jealous!!! (and I am not old with a perm!!!).
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options

However not to highjack your post but I need some advice from all you curly haired ladies. My daughter will be 4 this month and as I stated I have waivy not curly hair so not sure how to take care of curly hair and she has curly hair almost like the OPs I get many compliments when we are out about her hair.

But I dont know what to do. Every other day I wash her hair (with shampoo) put conditioner on hair only not scalp. I put silk drops on her hair and use a thick comb to brush and every time hair appears on the comb. I cant just leave it alone because its so tangled. Help please I dont have a curly hair stylest/expert to talk to and I dont know what to do....
    Brushing curly hair is the worst thing you could do, you're essentially breaking the curl bonds. Try finger brushing her hair instead and curling strands around your fingers.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    what can I do about tangles she gets really bad ones and the conditioner does not do much. However I do not use leave in conditioner, should I consider this for her?

Brushing curly hair is the worst thing you could do, you're essentially breaking the curl bonds. Try finger brushing her hair instead and curling strands around your fingers.
  • abikinibyjuly
    abikinibyjuly Posts: 330 Member
    Options

I would suggest putting the conditioner on her hair and detangling it with a comb, and then rinse it out. Squeeze out the excess water, blot dry with a t-shirt and then put in some kind of curl definer to help with frizz. Then, just let it be. Let it dry naturally, don't touch it, don't mess with it and her curls should be beautiful. I've always had lots of hair come out on when I detangle. I don't know if it's a curly haired thing, I have LOTS of hair, so I've never been concerned.