Women with curly/kinky hair... anyone sick of it?

Options

Replies

• MsMel123
    MsMel123 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My hair is more than 12 inches long and it is very thick. I live in a very humid climate. Controlling frizz is nearly impossible. It was always straight up until about a year ago. If I let it dry natural it is curly to a point but not extremely curly. i normally use a flat iron most days for work. On the weekends and for exercise I have a ponytail. My question is, has any women here experienced their hair changing from straight to curly and is that normal? I really don't like it that much. I was thinking of cutting it short. I have never had short hair in my life.Any pointers would help.
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    what can I do about tangles she gets really bad ones and the conditioner does not do much. However I do not use leave in conditioner, should I consider this for her?
    Is it tangling after sleeping?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I wear my hair curly all the time because of the humidity and sweat=poof...I was contemplating a Keratin treatment, but I just don't want to do anymore chemicals. So I will continue to flat iron once in a blue when I want the straight look and wear it curly the rest of the time.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    yes and also when she comes out of the shower but in that circumstance I thing its already tangled when I put her in the shower I try to use the conditioner when applying it to detangle but apparently it does not work that great or Im not doing it right.
    what can I do about tangles she gets really bad ones and the conditioner does not do much. However I do not use leave in conditioner, should I consider this for her?
    Is it tangling after sleeping?
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I've recently switched shampoos lately to a cheap £1 shampoo and conditioner from Asda and it's doing my hair wonders! Plus it smells nice :)

When I have the time, I mix coconut oil, carrot oil and olive oil together, leave it in my hair overnight, and then wash with conditioner the next morning and use hot oil as a shampoo replacement for the week.

When I don't have the time I just plait my hair before bed and hope for the best!

I love my hair now, but my fringe is a different story when I straighten it :grumble:
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have curly hair..but not really unruly. I wash it once a week in winter and twice a week in summer. I dont really worry about sweat..cause I really dont sweat..I always comb my hair out in the shower with conditioner when I do wash my hair. I do use a leave in conditioner..My normal style is in a ponytail..and I luckily work at a desk IT job..so no one cares what my hair looks like.

Once week I do use aragon oil in my hair..usually when I am out on a long run. The sun helps the oil penetrate..which helps with dryness and frizzies...

My daughter is biracial black/white. She washes her hair every other week...and she does flat iron it.. She is 13 and doesnt like the curll..which is all good. 3 days before she washes it..I put the oil in her hair..paying attention to the ends..and her hair is actually doing pretty well..
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    photo43z.jpg

First picture is my own barrel curling skillz, second top right is natural state and third is a pro blow out.

I feel like kinky curly hair gives you a great base for styling your hair. I used to hate it when I was younger, but I have grown to love the adaptability of curls. I may not be able to get them stick straight, but once and awhile I can go to a professional and get a blow out and feel great, or I can barrel curl right on top of my kinky girls for a smoother curly look.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    photo43z.jpg

First picture is my own barrel curling skillz, second top right is natural state and third is a pro blow out.

I feel like kinky curly hair gives you a great base for styling your hair. I used to hate it when I was younger, but I have grown to love the adaptability of curls. I may not be able to get them stick straight, but once and awhile I can go to a professional and get a blow out and feel great, or I can barrel curl right on top of my kinky girls for a smoother curly look.

ahhh your hair and everything is stunning

reading the other comments... you guys are pretty awesome. every time I post a thread people always either attack or reply with smart *kitten* answers lol
  • Naomi0222
    Naomi0222 Posts: 84
    Options
    Whenever I take my twists out, I am wanting to relax, until I get reeducated on how to do my own hair. I understand where you are coming from. Although, you have a looser curl pattern, and it appears that it would be easier to flat iron your hair if you wanted to, and then go back to curly if you wanted to. That's one thing a perm doesn't allow.
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've only had curly hair for the last 6+ years, since my daughter was born. Before that, it was just kind of wavy.

I use sulfate free shampoo/conditioner, lightly towel dry my hair, use curl creme (no gel or mousse that leaves your hair stiff), then blow dry with a diffuser. I couldn't tell you the last time I brushed my hair. My hair only takes 5 minutes. I love it. My hair is really fine. It straightens easily, but it goes frizzy and kinky at the thought of humidity, so I just leave it natural.

My daughter has really pretty curly hair as well. But hers is so fine I have to brush it to get the knots out. I don't do anything special to her hair.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    my only complaint about my hair is how oily it is, but it's not quite as bad as when i was a teenager, and I have a massaging
    shower head now, so I'm good :tongue:
  • melkadee
    melkadee Posts: 5,598 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend reading http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Handbook-Michele-Bender/dp/076115678X and to STOP using ANY shampoo, and switch to JUST conditioners.

Also check out - http://www.naturallycurly.com/CurlyGirlChallenge

Already doing that! Good to hear it's more and more popular~
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I was and then I just got dreadlocks
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    In my opinion your hair is gorgeous!

But I feel ya on the troublesome hair. Mine is just a god awful mix of straight, wavy and curly... kind of like it doesn't know what it should do and I hate it! I need to straighten, curl or put it up every day and it takes an hour to style it let alone wash it... Now you have it harder because you have those lovely tight curls that can frizz up pretty easily, my recommendation is that you do what feels easier and better for you and your hair. If you relax it or soften the curls will it be easier to manage and still look lovely? Yes? Then do it :)
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I can tell what kind of weather we're having thanks to my hair. Very frizzy = high humidity, Shiny and glossy = dry heat. I have very few days where I dominate my hair instead of it dominating me (and everyone around me within a 1 ft radius). I hardly EVER go to the salon because NOBODY know what to do with it... I've been twice in the past three years: The first I came out with this scary looking triangle look...very curly Cleopatra. I cried. The second, I was poodle-fied. I have no idea how they did it, but they did. Now I just live with it. It's who I am and it's very difficult to confuse me with someone else :wink:
  • salmaosman
    salmaosman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    My curls are gorgeous (not gonna lie) now that I know how to work with and not against them, but I get sick of my hair sometimes only because true kinky curly hair (some people posting here really have more wavy/loose than kinky curls) that actually looks good can take a lot of effort when you have long hair (with the conditioning, deep conditioning, washing, co-washing, detangling, drying, braiding at night, etc.,) and I am all about low/no maintenance. Straightening my hair takes at least 3 hours, and it doesn't last through a workout or couple nights so it's not usually worth the time and effort. Naturally straight healthy hair seems low maintenance, and sometimes I wish I had it, all in the name of laziness.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I use relaxer and my hair is still ridiculously thick and unmanageable for the most part. Leave in conditioner & a diffuser are my friends.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Yeah!!! I adore My Natural hair...BUT, I needed more consistency ( I need to know how I will look from day to day, and how it will react), so after over a year of all natural I am now using a mild texturizer about every 3-4 months. I use the knowledge that I have learned about how to care for My hair when it was Natural...and NOW My hair is HEALTHY, and in the end, that is what it is all about.