so my low cal diet won't work to lose 50 pounds?

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You have been given solid advice, backed by the experience of many, and you have chosen to ignore it.

Okay, then. Best of luck in your endeavors.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    A couple friends used to weight about as much as me. They signed up with a medical weight loss clinic. One has lost 40 pounds in the last two months. She eats about 900 calories a day, she's still losing. The other has hit a plateau at about 180. They don't eat sugar or salt, all protein, carb and veg. I don't eat the same thing as them.

If I could quickly get down to 180 it would be easier to focus on the best way to lose for long term health.

Could I get information instead of just bashing?

Medical weight loss clinic generally means medically "supervised" weight loss program.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Research
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Research

:huh:
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    No one should be eating less than 1200 calories a day unless they are medically supervised in their weight loss. It takes that many calories to get adequate nutrition.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Could I get information instead of just bashing?

Here you go
    http://cdnutritionandfitness.com/what-is-starvation-mode-a-k-a-adaptive-thermogenesis/
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You're losing lean muscle mass with such a drastic deficit. Muscle burns calories even at rest. Less muscle = less calories required for maintenance. You're trading in your 1700 calories today for how many less calories in the future? 1400? 1300? Eat at a small deficit and aim to preserve your lean muscle mass. What you're doing isn't sustainable and will backfire on you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Well, since we've resurrected this thread. . .

It's been nearly two months, OP-- status update?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

OP hasn't posted since 5/1 and her ticker shows 14 lb. lost (she was claiming 15 lb. lost at the time of the OP), so I somehow doubt we're in for a raging success story.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I have absolutely nothing constructive to add to this thread. Your style of weight loss just leaves me confused and wondering why would anyone want to treat their body in such a way? :cry: :sad:

this. ultimately, it won't work. something has to give...I hope it was diet before it was her health.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

OP hasn't posted since 5/1 and her ticker shows 14 lb. lost (she was claiming 15 lb. lost at the time of the OP), so I somehow doubt we're in for a raging success story.

arrested-development-dont-know-what-expected_zps4353d8c6.gif
  • systemic31
    Options
    Why does everyone keep stating that you have to eat 1200 calories a day.this s bull. How can somebody who has had a gastric band fitted eat less than 1000 calories, and still lose 40-50% of their excess weight. Do some research before before you post mindless crap about starvation mode and the likes. Do some research on BMR . And calories needed to maintain your weight.not everyone has caloriific needs of 2000 cals a day.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    OP is up to 28 pounds. If she lost all of it in the four months since the first post, she lost a little less than 2 pounds a week, and probably could have done the same on the 1700 MFP gave her. If, however, she was already at 15 pounds lost (see above), then she lost 13 pounds in four months. I lost more than that eating over 2000 calories a day.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Ok...so you lost some weight eating like that. That's simple physics. There comes a point though when your body is going to not take this abuse anymore. Your loss will slow to a crawl, you'll be metabolising muscle instead of fat, your hair and nails will be brittle....and you'll look and feel like warmed over dog doo. Of course....if that's what you have in mind, by all means, keep going.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone keep stating that you have to eat 1200 calories a day.this s bull. How can somebody who has had a gastric band fitted eat less than 1000 calories, and still lose 40-50% of their excess weight. Do some research before before you post mindless crap about starvation mode and the likes. Do some research on BMR . And calories needed to maintain your weight.not everyone has caloriific needs of 2000 cals a day.

A. Zombies

2. 1200 is a suggestion based on basic nutrition (Getting in all of your micros and macros) but no, it's not a magic number.

III. Pretty sure gastric bands and the amounts that those people can eat are the exception to the rule, not something to strive for.

Conclusion: Zombies
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

A. Zombies

2. 1200 is a suggestion based on basic nutrition (Getting in all of your micros and macros) but no, it's not a magic number.

III. Pretty sure gastric bands and the amounts that those people can eat are the exception to the rule, not something to strive for.

Conclusion: Zombies

That and they do lose a lot of lean mass, not just fat. And they're obese to start which means they can maintain a larger deficit. And zombies.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Congrats Op, you're going to ruin your metabolism, become malnourished, and might as well say byebye to your muscle and get more familiar with the fat, cuz that's all that you'll see!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    Just wait until your hair starts to fall out. Or you get dizzy and fall over and crack your skull open. When you're in the hospital, they'll be giving you 1200 calories through an IV. I hope THAT doesn't hinder your weight loss.

When I was 270 pounds I ate 1975 a day plus almost every single exercise calorie back and lost weight. There is no reason whatsoever for you to be eating 900 calories a day and being proud of it.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    25297d1309921005-intruder-recall-zombie-thread.jpg
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly surprised by how people are determined to punish their bodies because of the way they feel about food....

You'd think I'd eventually stop being surprised at this point.
This discussion has been closed.