It's not a journey

SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
Posting this because I have not had enough people being mean to me today. I need to put something up to bring in the bullies as all the :people being so mean" threads are getting all the attention, and I want some too :wink: ...

[rant]

People often ask me why I have such a beef with the concept of people being here for a "journey." They read my profile, and see that I say I don't like it. Some send me PMs because they are all butthurt that I am making fun of their journey, or say that I am not a supportive friend, etc. (Another whole topic of it's own. Why do people feel the need to send me hatemail?)

The reason I dont' like the journey talk, is because this is not a journey. A journey by definition is a movement from one place to another. It has an endpoint. So, for all those who claim to be on a journey, you are claiming at some point you will stop. As history has shown time and again, if you stop, you will find yourself sliding back and will undo all of your hard work. Entropy applies with fitness. This is not a one and done kind of thing. It's a lifestyle change. If you want it to be permanent or to stick, you will probably need to work at it for your entire life.

That's why I hate the journey analogy.... Journey's end up like this...

plane-crashing1.jpg

Don't even get me started about how we aren't all here for the same reasons. Now stop sending me hatemail.

[/rant]

Replies

• saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Dude, you're just trying to sabotage everyone.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    how can you say such things... i mean we are all here for the same reasons right? To not eat 1200 cals and b*tch about not losing weight and complain the helpful peeps are soo rude...
  • BleedsCoffee
    BleedsCoffee Posts: 247 Member
    I saw "journey" and now I have Don't Stop Believing in my head. That's all I can contribute to this thread.
  • griff7809
    griff7809 Posts: 611 Member
    I agree that it is a lifestyle change. Let me offer you this though:

If somebody wants to call losing 100 pounds a journey, they aren't exactly incorrect by calling it a journey. As you mentioned, the definition of journey has an end point. Would it not be correct if they did lose the 100 pounds and reached the end of their journey? For example, a man weighs 315 pounds and wants to weight 215, by definition it is a journey. However, to maintain 215 pounds it would be a lifestyle change.

Either way, sending you a PM/hate mail because of your opinion is just about the dumbest thing I've heard all day.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Agreed, it's NOT a journey. Journey implies an end. There IS no end. This is a life change that I will have to continue for all my remaining years. Hit my goal, say "Journey's over, I'm done", go back to my former oblivious behavior, and I'd see you all back here next year.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Not sure we can bne friends anymore if you aren't on the journey with me. Ugh, day ruiner :)
  • obrientp
    obrientp Posts: 546 Member
    I call it a journey because I don't plan to stop this ride until I'm in an urn.
  • anneerick
    anneerick Posts: 147 Member
    You have a major first world problem here.....
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    I agree OP.

Weight loss isn't a journey. It's a process.

This is a Journey.

Journey-band-03_zps5fde0100.jpg
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    I agree that it is a lifestyle change. Let me offer you this though:

If somebody wants to call losing 100 pounds a journey, they aren't exactly incorrect by calling it a journey. As you mentioned, the definition of journey has an end point. Would it not be correct if they did lose the 100 pounds and reached the end of their journey? For example, a man weighs 315 pounds and wants to weight 215, by definition it is a journey. However, to maintain 215 pounds it would be a lifestyle change.

Either way, sending you a PM/hate mail because of your opinion is just about the dumbest thing I've heard all day.

QFT. :drinker:
  • fluffychicken7
    fluffychicken7 Posts: 77 Member
    Dude, don't be hating on Journey as they are an awesome band! Also, I think you got it out of context I believe the saying goes, better health is a journey, not a destination. -- now everybody, let's join hands and sing, don't stop believin' hold on to the feelin'. (or not, don't really care.)

Peace out.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Leave me alone :angry: biotch!~
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    I'm just a small town girl, living in a lonely world.
  • Marcia661
    Marcia661 Posts: 183 Member
    potato potawto ;)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Yet-more-hate-mail.jpg
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Can you please come over to the Couch to 5k board so you can get past week 4:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

It's so much better than worrying about stuff like this and trolling the forums....
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    I hate the use of the word Journey too .. not because it's inaccurate, but because it sounds like a bunch of new-age bull****.

But it is a journey, by definition:

1jour·ney noun \ˈjər-nē\
    plural journeys

Definition of JOURNEY

: an act or instance of traveling from one place to another : trip
    chiefly dialect : a day's travel
    : something suggesting travel or passage from one place to another <the journey from youth to maturity> <a journey through time>

It fits definition #3 .. it's a passage from unfit to fit. There IS an endpoint - a fit you. Now staying at that endpoint is another matter entirely ...
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    potato potawto ;)

This really is the point. Who cares if I dont' like to call it a journey? I find the use of the word on this site an overused cliche. Let me have that. That's the real thing that annoys me about it.
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    I wonder if the people who are on a fitness journey feel/think that their journey will end.
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Life is a journey. And life has a stopping/end point. I plan to be on this particular journey for life...which DOES have an end. Duh.