It's not a journey

Replies

• SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    So, for all those who claim to be on a journey, you are claiming at some point you will stop. As history has shown time and again, if you stop, you will find yourself sliding back and will undo all of your hard work.

At some point I will die, and thus the journey will end. Then my work will be undone since I can't imagine successfully avoiding rot and maggot activity in order to preserve all my hard work. That's okay...I'm gonna continue this journey anyway...until I run out of road.

:drinker:

So if nothing else, I have at least sparked a rededication ceremony for some people! Good has been done here.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    you're all obviously barking mad....I love it - have had a most excellent 10 mins laughing ...OP if you like it....you stink (feel better?)

A little mild, but I will take it!
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Can you please come over to the Couch to 5k board so you can get past week 4:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

It's so much better than worrying about stuff like this and trolling the forums....

But, I have been running 4 miles every Saturday. That would be taking a step backwards.

(OK.. it's treadmill running, and I can't pace myself to run in the real world nearly that far yet, but let me have my battle victory even if I haven't won the running war yet).

That is too awesome. There is no winning the running war, as you well know. I must have read an older post of yours the other day....

It probably wasn't. I failed at couch to 5k a couple of years ago. This time around, I ditched the real world, and started with the treadmill. I haven't really followed any program for it, I just increase my speed and the grade a little bit, and find over time, I am able to go further and faster. Same basic priniciple, but without the targets, I lose the mental block. I just turn the tready on and run. When I'm done, I am done.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    I'll just join in here since the 'journey' talk makes me want to stop believin'...

... butweight loss isn't a 'journey'. Just because some dolt on the Biggest Loser tells you that he/she is on a journey, that doesn't make it so - rather, it's a lifestyle change. A journey has a definite end - a lifestyle change goes with you for life. There is a definite and sensible difference.

Bri!:drinker: (non-alcoholic of course)
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    So if nothing else, I have at least sparked a rededication ceremony for some people! Good has been done here.

Haha. :) Nice.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    I saw "journey" and now I have Don't Stop Believing in my head. That's all I can contribute to this thread.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    In future I'll tell people that I'm on a Scorpions instead of a Journey.

Take me to the magic of the moment
    On a glory night
    Where the children of tomorrow dream away
    in the wind of change

Walking down the street
    Distant memories
    Are buried in the past forever
    I follow the Moskva
    Down to Gorky Park
    Listening to the wind of change

\m/
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    can call it whatever i want
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    I agree OP.

Weight loss isn't a journey. It's a process.

This is a Journey.

Journey-band-03_zps5fde0100.jpg

Oh good! I'm glad I'm not the only one...:bigsmile:
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    The reason I dont' like the journey talk, is because this is not a journey. A journey by definition is a movement from one place to another. It has an endpoint.

It's called death. We all stop our physical form there so no point in counting calories anymore.

/jounrey
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,430 Member
    Such a simple word. Personally I like to use peregrination.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    this wasted 30 seconds of my life reading this post. terrible take.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    If it's bullying and hate mail you're really after, I could pretend you're my exhusband and let loose. :flowerforyou:

I could take that. People come in my office, and rant to get it out of their system all day long. I'm like a therapy dog that way.

Bow WowWow
    Another fun musical group
    I just love this thread OP!
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    I agree that it is a lifestyle change. Let me offer you this though:

If somebody wants to call losing 100 pounds a journey, they aren't exactly incorrect by calling it a journey. As you mentioned, the definition of journey has an end point. Would it not be correct if they did lose the 100 pounds and reached the end of their journey? For example, a man weighs 315 pounds and wants to weight 215, by definition it is a journey. However, to maintain 215 pounds it would be a lifestyle change.

Either way, sending you a PM/hate mail because of your opinion is just about the dumbest thing I've heard all day.
    OP, do you want some aloe vera, cause you got buurrnned.. haha j/k, calm down. :tongue:
    I dont' feel the burn. As I stated, I wanted the attention from the bullies :wink: The stated reason for the post was to detract attention from all of the why are people so mean threads that have been driving me nuts today.

Touche', I just wanted to quote the Big Bang Theory, as I heard this last night and I chuckled :laugh: <<<<me chuckling

..... bazinga....

I saw the big bang theory and instantly thought bazinga....

carry on
  • NanahcubJess
    NanahcubJess Posts: 12 Member
    Not a hateful comment! Just honest and civil feedback :)

I agree with you to a certain point. A journey does have an endpoint, and this is where you are completely correct when you say that using the word journey means that they will stop after the journey is over.

However, maybe their journey ends when they reach their healthy weight. After that, it's not a journey anymore. They've won, they completed their goal. Even if that journey ends, it doesn't mean that they will quit being healthy. That's where the weightloss journey ends, and maintaining their health begins.

This is why I consider weightloss a journey. I won't be losing weight forever, that would literally kill me. I have to stop when I reach my healthy weight, and then it's over, from then on I'll be maintaining.

:)
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    I love you:))
  • goodtimezzzz
    Not a hateful comment! Just honest and civil feedback :)

I agree with you to a certain point. A journey does have an endpoint, and this is where you are completely correct when you say that using the word journey means that they will stop after the journey is over.

However, maybe their journey ends when they reach their healthy weight. After that, it's not a journey anymore. They've won, they completed their goal. Even if that journey ends, it doesn't mean that they will quit being healthy. That's where the weightloss journey ends, and maintaining their health begins.

This is why I consider weightloss a journey. I won't be losing weight forever, that would literally kill me. I have to stop when I reach my healthy weight, and then it's over, from then on I'll be maintaining.

:)
  • goodtimezzzz
    nice its all a journey....when one ends another begins no big deal... you got too much free time to think about words...;)
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    If it's bullying and hate mail you're really after, I could pretend you're my exhusband and let loose. :flowerforyou:

I could take that. People come in my office, and rant to get it out of their system all day long. I'm like a therapy dog that way.

Bow WowWow
    Another fun musical group
    I just love this thread OP!

yippee yo yippe yay
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    Is too a journey...someday, I will die, and the journey will be over.