A 5 yo killed a 2yo with a gun!

Options
twinketta
twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
There are lots of posts on MFP with people condoning guns mainly in countries that they can buy guns `legally` for example USA..but there are others.

Just reported in the news is a 5 year old that was bought a gun by the mother as a birthday gift. the little boy shot his 2 year old sister and killed her.

The mother said she did not know the gun was loaded??? :devil:

Is it really responsible parenting to gift a small child with a gun...or any child for that matter?

Here is the link if anyone wants to read it.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/boy-5-kills-sister-2-childrens-rifle-132847373.html#0v4NWTg

It is like giving the keys to the car to an adult that is drunk.

Why on earth would you give someone a possible lethal weapon when they are clearly not responsible??

ETA typo

Replies

• escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    'Murica
  • nrod1988
    nrod1988 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    sooo sad... :(
  • theskinnylist
    theskinnylist Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.... I like. The shocking part for me are the regions where these shootings take place.

Oh, and that 5 y/o shooting WOULD happen in KY. Horrible.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm not on either side of it. I believe some people should have guns, and there are people that shouldn't. But what ever happened to the "12" year old rule??? I thought little boys got bb guns or whatever little gun at 12 or 13? A 5 year old doesn't have the common sense most of the time to know what killing a person really means
  • Rottnme
    Rottnme Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bad parents are... ...bad parents.
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You can engineer all kinds of safety devices for firearms, but you cant engineer the stupid out of people.
  • twinketta
    Options

I tried to look at the link but the page is no longer available?
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I was handed my first gun at age 2.

I was brought up knowing how to properly use, clean, shoot etc...

But the first thing I was taught was to always check to see if the gun was loaded.

You bet your a** I carry concealed, and I plan to instill the same principles in my children.

If not for them, for the safety of the people around them.

EDIT: Just wanted to edit to say that it is only bad parenting if children aren't supervised or taught correctly. So in this case, yes, extremely bad parenting. Knowledge is key to prevention. If that child had been given the correct tools and information with that gun as a gift, that accident could have been entirely prevented.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

I tried to look at the link but the page is no longer available?

Hmmmm....it shows up just fine on my computer. IDK?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Tragic, but not anything to do with this site.
  • _kannnd
    _kannnd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You can engineer all kinds of safety devices for firearms, but you cant engineer the stupid out of people.

THIS
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

the link is this http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12/
    add gun_death_tally_every_american_gun_death_since_newtown_sandy_hook_shooting. after the last /

Its a sad day that is for sure. The parent was stupid, but I guess that is Darwinism .

However all of these types of websites and statistics are for sensationalism. They should spend their time on swimming pools, as more people drown per year than are killed with guns. Or with automobiles. I wonder where household appliances, and cleaning chemicals....rate?

edit: cant spell today...
  • DandelionCupcakes
    DandelionCupcakes Posts: 234 Member
    Options

But the first thing I was taught was to always check to see if the gun was loaded.

You bet your a** I carry concealed, and I plan to instill the same principles in my children.

I think I might love you. Please don't shoot me. <3
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Parents need to be RESPONSIBLE and lock up the gun and ammo separately. Make sure the gun has no ammo in it and HIDE the key. It is unfortunate parents are not responsible for keeping the guns locked up. If you have a teenager that lives in your house that has mental disabilities, lock your gun up!!! IT should always be locked up and key hidden. I just dont get it and it irritates me. I think it is ok for children to get handed down guns or get a gun for a gift. But BE RESPONSIBLE People! Common sense!
  • twinketta
    Options

You can not be serious?? Handed a gun at 2 years of age??? A lot of kids are not even potty trained, they can not read/write?

what did your parents expect you to do with a gun at age of 2 years old?
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

the link is this http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12/gun_death_tally_every_american_gun_death_since_newtown_sandy_hook_shooting.html

Its a sad day that is for sure. The parent was stupid, but I guess that is dwarism . However all of these types of websites and statistics are for sensationalism. They should spend their time on swimming pools, as more people drown per year than are killed with guns. Or with automobiles. I wonder where household appliances, and cleaning chemicals....rate?

They are definitely sensationalist. All news is really. It's still intriguing though.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I still condone gun purchasing for law abiding citizens. It's my right as an American.

And as someone said before: Bad parenting is bad parenting. The woman is obviously a moron. Her ignorance is the contributing factor to her 2yr old being shot.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with guns but with the stupidity of people and parents.

This week, a 1 year old baby lost it's foot because the parents put it on an ATV (4wheeler) with the 8 year old brother. Gonna blame the ATV or the parents for doing something that stupid?
  • twinketta
    Options
    Tragic, but not anything to do with this site.

Which is why it is posted under chit chat, fun and games. It is not site related :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.