A 5 yo killed a 2yo with a gun!

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I was handed my first gun at age 2.

I was brought up knowing how to properly use, clean, shoot etc...

But the first thing I was taught was to always check to see if the gun was loaded.

You bet your a** I carry concealed, and I plan to instill the same principles in my children.

If not for them, for the safety of the people around them.

You can not be serious?? Handed a gun at 2 years of age??? A lot of kids are not even potty trained, they can not read/write?

what did your parents expect you to do with a gun at age of 2 years old?

I am serious. They believed that in a gun bearing state like MT it was imperitive that I know how to properly handle a weapon if I were to ever come across one by accident.

They weren't teaching me how to be a sniper or olympic level shot. They were trying to prevent an unneccesary accident.

My dad made special rubber bullets and casings and made sure I grew up comfortable with the fact that guns existed. He made sure that I knew how to completely disarm and unload any gun, and when I got older I learned how to use it.

I am so grateful for the knowledge he gave me. Luckily I was never faced with ann unfortunate circumstance with guns, but if I had been, I would have known how to safely handle the situation.

"I am serious. They believed that in a gun bearing state like MT it was imperitive that I know how to properly handle a weapon if I were to ever come across one by accident.

They weren't teaching me how to be a sniper or olympic level shot. They were trying to prevent an unneccesary accident."

This more than anything. you are teaching them how NOT to get killed or kill someone else. I want my children to be comfortable around firearms and familiar with their function. This will prevent ignorant mistakes that cause death. A child that has no knowledge or experience doesnt know how to operate or be aware of the dangers. They may be nervous they may not understand the simple safety rules that are easy to teach. nervousness, curiosity, unknown....these things cause accidents.

Can I ask you a simple `yes` or `no` question

If the gun was not available would this `accident` have happened?

Sure. Could have easily done the same with just about any blunt object or knife. Those accidents happen as well.

But making guns illegal doesn't make them unavailable. It just means the only people who will have them are those who disregard the law.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am a crazy parent, but I bought my 5 year old books and board games and spent time playing them. My 2 year old I played building bricks and stuff to encourage him with hand/eye co ordination.

I didn`t leave either child unsupervised at any point, they were always with an adult, so why would I need to provide them with a a gun?

I am not trying to provoke an argument, I am just asking why a responsible parent would gift a small child a gun?

Scenrario...your child goes to a birthday party. They are playiong hide and seek. Your child hides in a closet way in the back behind all the heavy coats where the father keeps his loaded shotgun. While the child is in there waiting what happens? My children will know. A) A gun is always Loaded B) dont touch the gun with out dad or another adult around. C) Where the trigger, safety, muzzle, is and how they each function... Etc

your child knows nothing. good luck

or the children will know not to touch a gun, you don't need to own a gun or familiarize your child with guns to be able to tell them that guns are dangerous and if they see one they should tell a responsible adult they trust and not touch it....
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Maybe I am a crazy parent, but I bought my 5 year old books and board games and spent time playing them. My 2 year old I played building bricks and stuff to encourage him with hand/eye co ordination.

I didn`t leave either child unsupervised at any point, they were always with an adult, so why would I need to provide them with a a gun?

I am not trying to provoke an argument, I am just asking why a responsible parent would gift a small child a gun?

You are not a crazy parent at all. What my parents did was waaaaay out of the norm and definitely not something I would expect any other parent to do.

And my parents didn't "give" me my own gun. I wasn't allowed my own gun until grade school, and even then, it was only brought out when we went hunting, target shooting, etc. They just gave me knowledge and awareness very early because they knew I would be around them my entire life :)

True.... My 17 year old daughter who shoots on a Trap/Skeet team doesn't even get access to her gun whenever she wants it. She is more then capable of handing it herself she can drive a car legally but I still don't allow her free reign of her shotgun.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This is so ridiculous. Handing a 2-year old a gun?!?! What the actual F?! You people must be high off your a$$es. Thank God I'm not living in your country. There's never been a kid shooting another kid here, never been a school shooting. I guess maybe we're doing something right.

:noway:
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

But the first thing I was taught was to always check to see if the gun was loaded.

You bet your a** I carry concealed, and I plan to instill the same principles in my children.

You can not be serious?? Handed a gun at 2 years of age??? A lot of kids are not even potty trained, they can not read/write?

I am serious. They believed that in a gun bearing state like MT it was imperitive that I know how to properly handle a weapon if I were to ever come across one by accident.

They weren't teaching me how to be a sniper or olympic level shot. They were trying to prevent an unneccesary accident.

My dad made special rubber bullets and casings and made sure I grew up comfortable with the fact that guns existed. He made sure that I knew how to completely disarm and unload any gun, and when I got older I learned how to use it.

I am so grateful for the knowledge he gave me. Luckily I was never faced with ann unfortunate circumstance with guns, but if I had been, I would have known how to safely handle the situation.

"I am serious. They believed that in a gun bearing state like MT it was imperitive that I know how to properly handle a weapon if I were to ever come across one by accident.

They weren't teaching me how to be a sniper or olympic level shot. They were trying to prevent an unneccesary accident."

This more than anything. you are teaching them how NOT to get killed or kill someone else. I want my children to be comfortable around firearms and familiar with their function. This will prevent ignorant mistakes that cause death. A child that has no knowledge or experience doesnt know how to operate or be aware of the dangers. They may be nervous they may not understand the simple safety rules that are easy to teach. nervousness, curiosity, unknown....these things cause accidents.

Sure if the gun wasn't available the 2yr would be alive. But the gun is not the issue here, the issue is that the MOTHER did not and was not protecting her children though: Proper supervision, proper education and being a decent human being. There's plenty of other scenarios where the 2yr old would've ended up killed or injured and it all boils down to one thing: The mother is a terrible excuse for a parent.

And just for the record... It's really sad that this accident happened. But that's what it was. An accident. An absolutely terrible and preventable accident.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Tragic, but not anything to do with this site.

Doesn't have to do with this site... its in the chit-chat fun and games section...
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

Scenrario...your child goes to a birthday party. They are playiong hide and seek. Your child hides in a closet way in the back behind all the heavy coats where the father keeps his loaded shotgun. While the child is in there waiting what happens? My children will know. A) A gun is always Loaded B) dont touch the gun with out dad or another adult around. C) Where the trigger, safety, muzzle, is and how they each function... Etc

or the children will know not to touch a gun, you don't need to own a gun or familiarize your child with guns to be able to tell them that guns are dangerous and if they see one they should tell a responsible adult they trust and not touch it....

you think thats all it takes>? Do you have children? do you know how curious children are?
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

Scenario, I live in the UK, my child goes to a birthday party, plays hide and seek, he goes way back in a closet and hope he wins a nice prize? He would not expect to find a shotgun?

Neither of my children would be going to play hide and seek with anyone that I thought had a gun in their possession? I would always go with the kids to any party also? I am responsible for protecting my kids, they would not be responsible at a such a young age to protect themselves?
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

QFT. Kids don't need to be handed a gun to realise that they shouldn't touch one. By that logic you'll have to expose them to stranger danger, let them play with matches, knives etc or they won't know what to do when confronted with these situations?! It's about education. Maybe you could do with some.
    I won't try and argue with you. You can't reason or rationalise with unreasonable, irrational people.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This is so ridiculous. Handing a 2-year old a gun?!?! What the actual F?! You people must be high off your a$$es. Thank God I'm not living in your country. There's never been a kid shooting another kid here, never been a school shooting. I guess maybe we're doing something right.

If somebody wants to do something evil, they'll find a way to do it. Banning guns isn't the way to stop evil people.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    People use things like this against those who support guns, but do you really think that all people who support the right to bear arms are ridiculously STUPID when it comes to child rearing??? Two separate issues here...
  • bearkisses
    Options

you think thats all it takes>? Do you have children? do you know how curious children are?

i do, which is why i wouldn't show them where the safety is
  • bearkisses
    Options

QFT. Kids don't need to be handed a gun to realise that they shouldn't touch one. By that logic you'll have to expose them to stranger danger, let them play with matches, knives etc or they won't know what to do when confronted with these situations?! It's about education. Maybe you could do with some.
    I won't try and argue with you. You can't reason or rationalise with unreasonable, irrational people.

thank you, you articulated it way better than i could have!
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    This has nothing to do with guns but with the stupidity of people and parents.

This week, a 1 year old baby lost it's foot because the parents put it on an ATV (4wheeler) with the 8 year old brother. Gonna blame the ATV or the parents for doing something that stupid?

You're equating losing a foot with death? Yeah right. Guns don't kill, people do. And 5 year old people do. Give 'em the tools and they'll do the job.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

So...your solutions is to rid all the world of guns to bandaid poor parenting skills?

You did not answer yes or no?
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    People use things like this against those who support guns, but do you really think that all people who support the right to bear arms are ridiculously STUPID when it comes to child rearing??? Two separate issues here...

Actually I do think the right to bear arms IS ridiculously stupid. But hey, I'm not a card carrying member of the NRA. How do you defend a 5 year old killing a 2 year old with a gun? He had his right to bear arms? But she didn't have her right to life?
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

i do, which is why i wouldn't show them where the safety is

You are clueless about children. I watched as my 2 year nephew learned how to circumvent a child proof door handle on the bathroom in under 5 minutes... you think a simple switch is going to stop them... This is why they need educated. Lack of education causes accidents.
  • IronMikeFox
    IronMikeFox Posts: 458
    Options
    I don't know what makes me want to cry more - the mere thought of this horrific tragedy or the inevitable arguing that will ensue.
  • MassiveDelta
    Options

So...your solutions is to rid all the world of guns to bandaid poor parenting skills?

You did not answer yes or no?

Cause your logic is invalid. thats not a feasible solution.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

Where I come from that gun is to be locked in a cabinet that is not accessible without a key... not kept in the back of a closet behind the coats..

I also never grew up around guns, I still knew where all the parts were, how they functioned and not to touch it if I found one.
This discussion has been closed.