Replies

• chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No, hun.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    lol...I don't mind it...but when they say "dear"...it makes me feel old :-)
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts when a stranger says it to me. Especially a girl or woman who is younger than me.
    I worked with a women at a job last year, and she literally said it to every single customer she spoke to throughout the day. I cringed all 4,567 times a day she said it.
  • bed2883
    bed2883 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    BALTIMORE!

That's what I was going to say!!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I LIKE it. Its as close to a woman flirting with me as I ever get.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I find it annoying some times.. depends on who it comes from but if guys say it to me then no it does not bother me at all

Im just the opposite. I don't have any problem with it if a woman says it to me, I think its a friendship thing. When a man does it, I find it very very condescending. I usually respond...Thank you honey cakes.....they hate that. :)
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have family in the Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia area. Everyone says Hun! I can be anywhere in the world and if I hear an American accent and the words Hun, I automatically assume the person is from that neck of the woods. It doesn't bother me.
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you are raised in the south everyone is hon or sugar. I say it all the time regardless of the gender of the person I am talking to.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hon/hun doesn't bother me nearly as much as "babe"... I have to laugh every time, because it just sounds so ignorant!
  • angserino
    angserino Posts: 59
    Options
    It needs to be made known that NOT everyone born and raised in the South talks like this.

You can tell who is doing it in a flirty way and who isn't. I kind of think it is tacky. That is just MY opinion. Not knocking anyone that does it.
  • YogaNikki
    YogaNikki Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty. I'm a southerner. I don't intend it to be cheesy or flirtatious. I just prefer it to babe, or sweetie, etc. I blame the people I grew up around. Sweet tea, boiled peanuts and 'hon.' :wink:
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    waitresses are exempt, it's okay for a waitress to say it. I had a boyfriend once who did it when he was about to say something true but hurtful so now I can't stand it either.
  • AliasSha
    AliasSha Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My mom does it all the time, I don't (I have a co-worker who does too). I personally find nothing wrong with it because my entire family on my Mom's side is like that. I guess it depends on just where you grow up and such.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I live in a southern town and work with a lot of older women. I constantly get called that.
    doesn't bother me
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am a ministry partner for our church for kids in middle and high school..I dont say 'hun"...but when talking to them..either male or female.. I say "sweetie" there are over 300 of them..and dont know everyone's name..but it works..

But then I come from a family where my dad calls all the women he meets "love"..so for me..its no big deal..
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Since I am a Southerner by association, I can tell you for a fact that it is said all the time. It doesn't bother me at all and I find it friendly.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    i say it as a lady, to another lady in a supportive, caring way.

i wouldn't say it to a dude.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me a bit, Hon.

holliday_grits.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    My 86 year old grandmother says it all the time. Are you telling me she has been flirting all this time? Go granny!