Where to buy pants? HELP?!

Options
Today I tried on pants at several of the "trendier" clothing stores for the first time since I was a few years out of high school (probably 12+ years ago). I have been significantly overweight since I was in my early 20's and therefore had no reason to shop these stores. Wellllll... What the heck?! Does anyone make pants for women's bodies vs. skinny teenagers? I have quite a bit of bulk (mostly muscle, some fat) in my legs from running and lifting and some of these pants would not even go over my calves, in fact one pair I couldn't get over my huge size 11 foot! LOL. I don't feel pressure to dress to trends, but I would like clothes that fit my new body and that are modern and fashionable. I had an awesome wardrobe when I was obese, but now that I am significantly smaller I want cute clothes again! (P.S. I don't miss my cute size 24 pants at all! Lol.)

June 2012--size 24
January 2013--size 12 (all clothes gifted by a friend and an Aunt who were sick of seeing me belting my 6 sizes too big clothes to my smaller body, LOL)
May 2013--?? (All my size 12's are too big)

I don't know if this matters but I'm 31, 5'10" and 26% body fat. I'm not at my goal body, but I would like maybe 1-2 pair of pants at my current size.

So here's my question, PLEASE HELP?!?! If you're curvier or muscular and not skinny where do you shop for pants?!?! THANKS!!!

***I was not at all sure where (meaning which category) to post this question, so I apologize if I have violated forum etiquette. I rarely post here***

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    In to see if there are any new places I've never heard of to check out :)
  • BrennLinn
    BrennLinn Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I bought some Denizen jeans from Target and they are pretty amazing. They have a little bit of stretch and are very true to size!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    In to see if there are any new places I've never heard of to check out :)

Hopefully we'll get lucky!!!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    I bought some Denizen jeans from Target and they are pretty amazing. They have a little bit of stretch and are very true to size!

I've never heard of those, but I will look, thanks! (Do you mind if I ask what size or style you wear? And what issues you normally have with fit?) THANKS!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I also vote for Levi's Denizens. They are amazing. I wear a size 6. My measurements are-- waist: 26, hips: 36.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    I also vote for Levi's Denizens. They are amazing. I wear a size 6. My measurements are-- waist: 26, hips: 36.

Ahhhh, they're made by Levi! Thank you! Any other retailer you'd recommend? Target isn't my favorite (not for any reason other than continued poor customer service). Thanks!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Oh I meant to add: OP I get jeans in stores that have misses sizes, which are cut for women who are curvier. Then I buy tops at the trendier junior's stores like Forever 21. Not all of the juniors tops fit me, because a lot of them are cut smaller in the chest than I need, but in general that system works for me.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Ahhhh, they're made by Levi! Thank you! Any other retailer you'd recommend? Target isn't my favorite (not for any reason other than continued poor customer service). Thanks!

I got mine at Ross. Not sure where else you could get them. I love Ross, that's where I get a lot of basics.
  • YolieCreator
    YolieCreator Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When I was smaller (12-16) I bought my jeans at either the Buckle or Old Navy. Lots of choices. The Buckle can be pricey but they have really good quality jeans.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have a booty, so pants have always been hard.
    My measurements for comparison
    29 waist
    42 hip
    21 thigh
    155 lb
    32%BF
    I haven't gone pant shopping in a while, I think I'm a 12. I wear size 8 skirts because that's what fits my waist.

1st are you opposed to getting things tailored? If it fits the bum and the thighs, a tailor can take in the waist.

Lee natural fit (from an outlet mall)
    I have also had success from Express Editor pants
    and check out Thrift stores and consignment shops! I have 2 near me, Plato's closet, and Green Street. These places only have things in season.

I have also been eyeing up Venus.com. they have cute inexpensive stuff but I haven't bought yet.

I don't want to buy pants until I loose some weight. I've been wearing mostly skirts and dresses because my jeans fell apart last month. =(
  • Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Levis seem to always fit me perfect! I have a small waist, but VERY big hips lol but places like AEO and A&F never seem to fit me because I'm not a stick!
  • ctpeace
    ctpeace Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Kohls has been great for me for work pants. Gap for jeans, you've gotta go through a few styles, but usually they've got a good one. Haven't tried jeans at kohls. My question is shorts/capris for legs that are looking nice but not ready for booty shorts!
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    Try to shop places with sizes in even numbers (0-2-4) rather than odd (1-3-5). Those are women's sizes, not juniors, and you should have better luck! Gap, Banana Republic, Abercrombie and Fitch, J Crew, and Express, for example, all do ladies sizes.
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am probably showing my age but I love Talbots. Especially for tall jeans. Of course I only buy when on sale or better yet clearance!!!!
  • Jongfaith
    Jongfaith Posts: 195
    Options
    I recomend just shopping around. Heard of a new place today called Citi Trends I'm going to check out soon for some summer ware. I went from a size 18 to a 14 and have found lots of cute jeans from Vanity and other stuff from Kohls, Gordmans, and Target lately on the clearance racks. Lots of the current styles fit crazy but you can find cute stuff that fits and looks good on ya!

Good luck and happy shopping!
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Sears/K-Mart is pretty good.

Check to see if you have any local plus-size consignment stores. Used to buy all my bigger clothes from a shop like that. :)

Good luck!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I like Old Navy, and they fit pretty generously. I sometimes have trouble with Target because the calf area of their pants runs really small--like the pants could fit overall, but not go over my calf, or they are loose everywhere but tight on the calf. The Limited has some good nicer, work type pants.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Size 10 here. I was born with a butt, I carry my extra weight in the thighs, and I have muscular calves from minimalist shoes and a lifetime of walking. I have good luck with the Classic fit pants from Coldwater Creek. Wouldn't call their clothes trendy, but a good deal of what they carry is stylish. My 20-something son's girlfriend even wears some of their stuff (and of course looks adorable in it :smile: )
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I've always had good luck with Old Navy jeans. Not usually more than $30 each, and usually can find some on clearance. I've found some good pants at Kohl's as well. Their store brand is pretty good.
  • dannatona
    dannatona Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Express! I love their jeans. I've always had a bit of a tummy and a booty, their jeans fit me amazingly. I'd definitely give them a try!