Overweight kids- Who's to blame

Options

Replies

• shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Way to own it Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [/quote]That was the Mom posting. :smile:
    [/quote]
    OOPS! Way to own it MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I was a fat kid but it wasn't my parents fault. They were actually pretty
    strict with food probably to the extreme. I wasn't allowed junk type stuff at home but that didn't stop me from getting food I wanted. Friends houses, convenience stores, grandmas house. You can restrict the type of food your kids eat all you want but watch out for kids like me that'll fight against it. I see parents who are complete extremist when it comes to food which is fine but it would be more beneficial to teach kids moderation and not this whole good food bad food carp that people want to teach.
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    parents. unless there is some other underlying issue.
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Another way to think about it. This week, the FDA approved the marketing of the "morning after" pill over the counter to girls 15 and above. What does that tell you about respect and the role of the parent?

Nothing wrong with girls 15+ having access to it. Granted, this was a revenue based decision that aids the advertising industry, so the government's role in it was all about payola, but functionally this is good for women.

Again though, in most cases it wouldn't be needed if parents were doing their jobs and teaching young women about life.

Yea right....nothing wrong with letting 15 year old girls (girls mind you, they aren't mature women) buy a pill that takes away any possibility of risk being involved with having sex at that age.....

When I heard this I thought it was great. It's not going to dramatically change anything, except for that girl that was raped by her "boyfriend" or father or uncle and might now be able to avoid the additional stress of an unwanted pregnancy without further humiliation. It has NOTHING to do with respecting decent parent's rights.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I don't know - my daughter is overweight (age 5, 72 lbs) but her brother is not (age 9, 68 lbs). My daughter is very sedentary, and my son is very athletic, just like his mom and dad. Personally, I race triathlon and carefully monitor my intake but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to get her to be active and do the same. She's 5 - she just isn't into it yet.

I'll loan you some from my daughter. She has been a ball of energy since birth! They had 90 minute softball practice yesterday and I thought she would fall asleep as soon as we got home. nope. She play Kinect Sports for 30 more minutes and danced her way to bed.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Another thought on school lunches:

When I started teaching they gave us a handout with the rough calorie count for a school lunch. The high school portion was roughly 800 calories, so I asked why it was so high. I was told that it's because over 50% of our students were living in poverty, and we had to assume that school breakfast and school lunch were the only meals those students would get that day.

Was that based on some PTA bs, or some legitimate scientific research, or did they even tell you where they came up with such assumptions?

You mean how many kids were in poverty? It was based on the number of kids who qualified for free lunches.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Another way to think about it. This week, the FDA approved the marketing of the "morning after" pill over the counter to girls 15 and above. What does that tell you about respect and the role of the parent?

Nothing wrong with girls 15+ having access to it. Granted, this was a revenue based decision that aids the advertising industry, so the government's role in it was all about payola, but functionally this is good for women.

Again though, in most cases it wouldn't be needed if parents were doing their jobs and teaching young women about life.

Yea right....nothing wrong with letting 15 year old girls (girls mind you, they aren't mature women) buy a pill that takes away any possibility of risk being involved with having sex at that age.....

When I heard this I thought it was great. It's not going to dramatically change anything, except for that girl that was raped by her "boyfriend" or father or uncle and might now be able to avoid the additional stress of an unwanted pregnancy without further humiliation. It has NOTHING to do with respecting decent parent's rights.

Not going to debate this in this thread as it hijacks the thread...it is my personal belief that it will hurt more than help.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    partly parents and partly schools/government! :smile:

Nope. Theres no partly. Its fully parents. If your school doesn't provide healthy foods and keeps pushing high calories junk foods then talk to them. Many communities are now doing it and for almost the same cost. The fact that NO parent screamed at the schools when they passed out pizza as a serving of veggies shows that parents are the one neglecting.

As a teacher, I would like to know how what I do is responsible for obese children who come to MY classroom? Am I the one feeding them junk food instead of nutritious food? No. Am I the one who allows them to sit on their butts and play video games, watch TV, text, etc, when they should be outdoors playing and getting exercise? NO.

AND, I would also like to add that I teach HEALTH, and right now I am making a very serious effort to teach these children all about healthy eating, nutrition and the importance of exercise. I'm not harming them, I'm helping them.

IT IS ENTIRELY the fault of the parents AND partially the fault of the pediatricians who refuse to tell the parents their child needs to lose weight, for fear of "offending" the parents.

Teach, good! wile you are at it, can you PLEASE get on teaching my kids to tie there shoes and not pee on the floor. Really what do you do all day? Maybe another set of common core will make you people shape up. Oh, also my son likes to burp in public, get on that too. Thanks.

I don't teach kindergarteners. Sorry, those are all on YOU. Get back to work, you have homework to do. Lots and lots of it.
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have 4 healthy weight children. That said I control everything they eat not that they don't get treats. It's more like you may have 2 cookies not 6 whole wheat bread not white pasta is a mix of veggie and whole wheat. No juice except once in a while on Saturday with pancakes. No pop or very little that is a treat not for quenching thirst. No sugar or artifical sweeteners in any drinks. Water and organic milk are the norm here . I figure that at the very least other kids will have one less thing to pick on them for. I was told I was a chubby kid looking back at the pictures I wasn't even close to being overweight. Are parents responsible? Sometimes. The better question is do the parents themselve know how to eat properly. They are finding that there is so much that goes into overweight. How much mom gained during pregnancy, what she ate, did she breastfeed? If she did what types of food did she eat while breastfeeding? Genetics. What eating habits were the kids exposed to when they became aware of what foods were available. Pesticides, hormones and antibiotics in food? There are so many variables.
    What are you giving for snacks? I do fruit and veg for snacks. Does this guarantee that my kids never have a weight problem? Nope! Will it help? I hope so. As long as it works for us I will keep doing it.
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of people are losing the knowledge of how to cook. It seems like "home cooking" can be loosely defined as anything actually heated in the house, such as microwaved, over-processed foods or a reheated serving of KFC.

Families are eating out way too much, the lines at drive-thrus are always packed. I know, I have just recently given up fast food as a way of life.

Many grocery stores stock such complete crap that we are led to believe is decent food.

A lot of people don't make meals from ingredients anymore, they buy the whole refined, processed, dehydrated or frozen package. The meats and milks are laden with growth hormones and antibiotics.

Everything is LOADED with sodium, to stimulate our deadened palate.

Vegetables and fruits are routinely sprayed with poisons and some are waxed.

And we top off the meal with "single serve" bottles of soda, sweet teas or sugary juices. They have introduced a 1.5 liter bottle that is supposed to be a single serve bottle. Pretty soon we'll need bigger hands just to grasp our soda bottles.

And don't get me started on the poison that is the diet soda, a chemical time bomb, masquerading as a health drink.

MFP is a wonderful place to determine the actual value of food. I am learning so much.

Jan
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Parents in 99.99% of the cases.

Medical in .01% of the cases.

I get mad (silently) at my brother every time I visit. He has five children, two are obese (the oldest two), two are overweight (grade school) and one is still a regular weight (2 years old).

Whenever I've visited, the cabinets are full to almost bursting with cookies, chips and snack cakes. It makes me mad because I was an overweight kid and I remember how awful it was once I got into middle school and I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone, especially my nieces.
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Very touchy subject as I have a niece that falls into this catagory. But do I blame my sister for her being that way? Not completely NO I DO NOT!! Here is why... it has to do with our "genes" and body type. As a child I was on the heavy side but all though my teenage years I was on a diet!! My mom's body type is the same that I have as well as my sister. My niece eats fruit, veggies but yes she also eats "kid food" mac-n-cheese, chicken nuggets etc... My sister as well as my niece is VERY aware of her weight issue and constantly trying to "get it under control". But it is NOT COMPLETELY the way she is eating that she is the size she is. Her body type and family genes HAVE SOMETHING to do with it too!!!
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Growing up in a home of overweight teens I think it is partially the parents fault but also partially the teens... I was not overweight until after I got married, but my siblings all are... now YOUNG children have no responsibility since they don't know any better...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Any possibility of risk? Now now. You obviously haven't learned.
    I get it, you don't like it. BFD. Be such an awesome parent that it or a wire hanger isn't needed.
  • dbmata
    Options

When I started teaching they gave us a handout with the rough calorie count for a school lunch. The high school portion was roughly 800 calories, so I asked why it was so high. I was told that it's because over 50% of our students were living in poverty, and we had to assume that school breakfast and school lunch were the only meals those students would get that day.

Was that based on some PTA bs, or some legitimate scientific research, or did they even tell you where they came up with such assumptions?

You mean how many kids were in poverty? It was based on the number of kids who qualified for free lunches.

No, that's easy to figure out and any trained gibbon could do so.
    The assumption that the only meals they were getting were the ones at school. What research was done to support something so silly?
  • hfester
    hfester Posts: 114 Member
    Options

I'll chime in here because I missed the original comment. My son gets to eat "hot lunch" once a week as a treat. I counted up the calories of the school lunch he gets on Fridays: about 700-800. He's six. The example lunch I used was pizza, chocolate sundae, mandarin oranges, and shredded lettuce with ranch.

Canned mandarin oranges shouldn't count as fruit. Yet people scream about the reform of school lunches.

Where on earth does your kid go to school that he's 6 years old and he's eating pizza and a chocolate sundae for lunch? And you're worried about the mandarin oranges being counted as fruit? I work in a public high school and we do not serve ice cream. Pizza, yes. Canned fruit? Yes. Chocolate sundaes? Uh, no.

He goes to Joe Q. Public elementary school in the midwest. Pretty standard stuff. We've lived in MO and IL and ran into about the same type of food. I commented on the mandarin oranges being counted as fruit because they are "following" the federal guidelines for school lunch with certain servings of vegetables, fruit, dairy, and grain. Under their guidelines, canned oranges in juice or heavy syrup counts as fruit. So, yes, I'm worried about that.

I worked in a public high school for five years. Now I'm in a private school. We serve plenty of crap here, too.
  • nine2481
    nine2481 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Parents, Children, Teachers & Government are all at fault.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

No, that's easy to figure out and any trained gibbon could do so.
    The assumption that the only meals they were getting were the ones at school. What research was done to support something so silly?

I believe it was based interviews with parents and students. And probably partly on the experiences of teachers. Kids will often tell their teachers that they aren't getting enough food at home, or that their parents work nights and they are responsible for making their own dinners. I had a student get arrested once because he was asking the gas station for the food they were going to throw out at the end of the day. They said no and he made a scene. It was a pretty poverty-stricken community.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Parents, Children, Teachers & Government are all at fault.

*sigh*

Any time you trust the government to tell you what's good for you, you're asking for it.

Example: Pizza is a vegetable.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I believe it was based interviews with parents and students. And probably partly on the experiences of teachers. Kids will often tell their teachers that they aren't getting enough food at home, or that their parents work nights and they are responsible for making their own dinners. I had a student get arrested once because he was asking the gas station for the food they were going to throw out at the end of the day. They said no and he made a scene. It was a pretty poverty-stricken community.

Ah, interesting! Also really soul breaking. Kids shouldn't have to be in that situation, and the police arresting for that? Well... I try to be nice in this community, so I won't say what I'm thinking about that.

So there was a rational basis for doing that, wow. Urban setting?