Overweight kids- Who's to blame

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    All I want to say is, don't blame video games! Someone always wants to blame the game industry, be it for violence or obesity. So yeah, DON'T DO IT! lol I actually think I may have been thinner when I played games more often, probably because I was too distracted to eat anything. XP

I don't blame video games, entirely. I blame parents for letting their kids sit on their butts for hours and hours playing video games instead of going outside to play.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Here's my view on that:

a) There must be some control in schools. Where I live and study there is obesity, but at lower rates, and every school that has a bar and cafeteria does the following:

- the school bar has some snacks - they have sandwiches, fruit, yogurt and healthy fruit juice. They do sell some pastries, but there are healthier options and none of them is extremely caloric (no chocolate or cream, just jam, coconut, etc). Some times there are candy bars. No soda. No chips. No vending machines.

- the school cafeteria offers a HEALTHY menu. There is soup, one or two main dishes to choose from, salad, fruit (or yogurt/jello) and water. There aren't many fried foods. It's pretty balanced.

b) Parents have to take responsibility. They're not only cooking (or buying) for themselves, they have children to feed and it's their obligation to make sure that the choices they make aren't leading their children to obesity (and eating disorders). Besides, if parents introduce their children to vegetables and fruit at a young age and establish some reasonable boundaries about unhealthy foods, they're more likely to enjoy fruit&veggies and to understand the need eat some things in moderation, even if those are really really reaaaally yummi.

c) I don't know if you'll agree with me, but kids themselves. I felt fat before I turned 6 years old. At 11 years old I'd worry about my food choices and tried to change my habits because I *knew* and understood the effect they had on my health. I knew that I was chubby because I had a sweet tooth and because I didn't do sports. I have always understood that I had responsibility over my body. We need to teach kids about all the dangers of unhealthy eating.

I work in an elementary school where there is hot lunch every day. The secret ingredient in most of the foods is starch. The food they serve (which is a main course, a salad or veggie, a piece of fruit or fruit cup, and ONE dessert) is loaded with carbs, sugar and sodium. The teachers get their meals for free, and while that's a wonderful option, I haven't had the desire to eat a single lunch, minus the baked potato bar they serve occasionally.

And by the way, "fruit juice" is NOT a healthier option -- it is loaded with HFCS and calories. I'd rather have a diet soft drink than a small bottle of any kind of "fruit" juice. That's a sneaky deception.