Surely I'm not the ONLY one here...

Options
13»

Replies

• servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    my looks is something I know I am good in. I have looked at a 1,000 mirrors in every angle imagineable. I have measured my face, nose - width ratio ect.... I have studied what makes people attractive.

So you rock the golden ratio? Hmm
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Who gives a ****? I used to turn on alpha-male to pick up girls... it would always turn out badly because the girls that are attracted to that personality are not girls that I find attractive in the long wrong. I prefer taking my time and if that involves being awkward and a little self loathing that's up to me.

Lightbulb!
    Too bad more guys don't get this :flowerforyou:
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I am confident, but I am not going to rate myself as a number to make someone else happy. I am me, I see myself as a moderately attractive woman and don't need anyone else to tell me a number to make myself feel confident. Even if I was 100% ugly still would be that way.

You could never be 100% ugly with your beautiful personality :flowerforyou:
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I can see it from both sides. I think confidence does make someone attractive, even if they are not the usual definition of good-looking. At the same time, it's not helpful having someone judge you because you're feeling insecure, in fact, it only makes things worse.

I've had people be frustrated at my lack of confidence before and all it did was make me feel misunderstood and a bit stupid.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    If you are annoyed then you are the one with the problem. To each there own.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    it doesn't bother me, think of Maslow's needs pyramid. We are all at different levels and different journeys and here for our own reason.

Maybe the lack of confidence is why people decided to make a change. Being worth saving verses having high self esteem are two separate things altogether. Maybe some of these people want higher self esteem and would have more if they lost weight, gained muscle, have friends on here, etc.

Have a beer, a coffee, a chocolate bar, or your favorite..... and wish these people luck.

I completely agree with this! And I do love a man that can quote Maslow! :love: :wink:
  • samanthajade124
    samanthajade124 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    There may be legitimate reasons why people lack confidence. Sometimes it's not just their weight. Like others have said... everyone has been through their own journey. I used to be extremely confident and outgoing and then got stuck in an emotionally, verbally, and on occasion physically abusive relationship and was miserable for 5 years. After that long of being told you're worthless and that you're disgusting and no one will ever want you, it's hard to believe otherwise. I've been on my own for about 14 months now, and am trying to improve myself and get back to where I was but I know it's going to be a long journey to repair the damage that he caused. Don't be too quick to judge people with low self confidence. (not looking for pity. I'm proud that I got myself out of the situation and am very happy I am where I am right now)
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I agree that it can sometimes be frustrating that so many people don't understand that they do have value and they are worth taking care of themselves and being healthy. However, I understand where that lack of self worth comes from. We have all had influences speaking into our lives. Some of us were fortunate to have parents that helped to reverse the negativity that came from our peers at school (I was bullied for my weight buy my mom and dad were amazing). I had some self esteem issues when I was younger, but as I got older and wiser, I came to realize that more of what my parents told me was true than what my peers told me. Some people aren't that fortunate. My cousin had a mom that just reinforced all of that garbage because her own self esteem sucked. My cousin still struggles with self esteem issues. It's like the line from Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts tells Richard Gere, "The bad stuff is easier to believe." Until you realize that the "bad stuff" is just lies, you will believe it.

I love this site because there are a lot of positive people who encourage and help these people break the cycle they've been stuck in all their lives. I use my own experience to give advice and encouragement to others. My philosphy is that if I have more of something, I give more of it. I have more self confidence, so I try to help others see their worth so that they can build self confidence.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Confidence is the expectation of future success, based on past repeated success. So, one has to have success in order to have confidence.

Otherwise it would be called optimism, or maybe delusions of grandeur ;)

Tip: the way to help out people who aren't confident isn't to yell that them that they are unconfident and how awesome and sexy confident people are. All that does is make them think "wow, since I'm not confident, I must not be awesome".
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    There may be legitimate reasons why people lack confidence. Sometimes it's not just their weight. Like others have said... everyone has been through their own journey. I used to be extremely confident and outgoing and then got stuck in an emotionally, verbally, and on occasion physically abusive relationship and was miserable for 5 years. After that long of being told you're worthless and that you're disgusting and no one will ever want you, it's hard to believe otherwise. I've been on my own for about 14 months now, and am trying to improve myself and get back to where I was but I know it's going to be a long journey to repair the damage that he caused. Don't be too quick to judge people with low self confidence. (not looking for pity. I'm proud that I got myself out of the situation and am very happy I am where I am right now)

This was my first marriage for 7 years.
    My confidence has soared over the last 15 years.
    You can and will do this! :smile:
  • Cre8veLifeR
    Cre8veLifeR Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Most people, especially women, undervalue their worth. Have you not seen the DOVE beauty sketches ad? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpaOjMXyJGk

We live in a culture where the standard of beauty is unobtainable, even to the models portraying it! I have a good friend who was a model for Guess and believe me, she was the most insecure neurotic person I have ever known!

I am confident because I don't compare myself to other people. I don't base my self worth on my looks or what other people think of me. I base my self worth on my thoughts, on my intentions and on what I DO with those thoughts and intentions. I feel that everyone is beautiful and unique, like a butterfly, and if they don't see it then we who do have the responsibility to point it out to them so that they can. :)

That being said, I DO get insecure in certain situations, for sure - like pitching an idea to a potential client - it always scares the *kitten* out of me, but I do it anyway.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    ...who is annoyed and disappointed in the amount of whiny people on here
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    I'm not yelling at people and I don't know how many times I have to reiterate the fact that I'm not annoyed at THE PEOPLE but just the FACT that they have the low-confidence.

I honestly know what it's like to have low-confidence. Believe me. I've been there. I grew up in a trailer with parents stuck in an unhappy marriage. THey beat me, they beat my brother. I was constantly told that I would never have a boyfriend because I was too fat and fat was ugly. They would lock me out of the house and tell me to come back when I lost weight. I was super awkward because I was 5'7" and a size 16 in 5th grade. Which is when my best friend died and I thought it was all my fault because I wasn't there to save her. at 18 I had my first boyfriend (ever). He asked me to marry him then convinced me that if I didn't do drugs with him and give up my virtue to him then I didn't love him and he would leave me. I thought if he left me I would be alone forever because no one would ever want me. We broke up. A year later I was raped by some guys who were suppose to be my friends. When I tried to tell my best friend (who was also friends with these guys) she turned against me and the entire group turned against me. They told me "why would they do that to you when they do that to you when they could have anyone"

So, yeah, I know what it's like to be beaten down. To have confidence so low that you don't even think you are worth being alive. I have the scars to prove, physically and emotionally.

THAT being said, I have managed to grow confidence in the years since then. I may only be 26 but I've lived. I understand that it's not easy and no, I am not yelling and I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my statement. That sucks. But the fact still stands that we are all WORTH IT. We are all WORTHY of confidence and love. Especially our own love. If you are here and you are tyring to make a change then you need to love yourself. You can take what I say and turn it around to the negative and tell me how mean I am and how I just don't understand. OR you can take my words for what they were intended. As an idea. That maybe we should think about how we value ourselves and why we value ourselves at that level. Maybe I'm delusional who knows. But this is my opinion and I'm sticking to my guns.
  • _eatme_
    _eatme_ Posts: 3
    Options
    Desperate people get laid more...proven fact.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm not yelling at people and I don't know how many times I have to reiterate the fact that I'm not annoyed at THE PEOPLE but just the FACT that they have the low-confidence.

I know you're not yelling. I was exaggerating. All I'm saying is, re-read what you've written, and put yourself in your mindset when you were 16. Would that have helped or not?

I find people who have come a long way sometimes forget where they came from, and how they viewed the world.

(To be fair, it's difficult in a forum post, because you're airing your thoughts to lots of people, and people who who have just started will be reading them, as well as people who've improved things.)
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I could agree with the sentiment, but not the words you use to describe it...I'd choose instead that I find it sad.

an·noy (-noi)
    tr.v. an·noyed, an·noy·ing, an·noys
    1. To cause slight irritation to (another) by troublesome, often repeated acts.
    2. Archaic To harass or disturb by repeated attacks.

When you use that term, it's hard to read it in the way you later said you meant it. 'I'm not upset at you, but your actions or attitudes are annoying me' just doesn't fly. Saying the actions or behaviors are annoying is absolutely implied criticism of the person behind them.

dis·ap·point·ed (ds-pointd)
    adj.
    Thwarted in hope, desire, or expectation.

Again, the way it's most commonly used, diappointed suggests that YOU have been thwarted. Which suggests these people (or as you say their actions or attitudes) has let you down or failed to meet your expectations.

Anyway, I think that's why folks are reading your post in a way that you don't seem to have meant it.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification, sir.

I did later amend what I said by saying.
    Maybe annoyed isn't the right term. Disappointed and sad really.

I think I was perhaps in an irritated state when writing the original post but as stated. It's the FACT of the low self-esteem that it's directed to. Not the people. I will try and choose my words more wisely next time.
  • _Pseudonymous_
    Options

I know you're not yelling. I was exaggerating. All I'm saying is, re-read what you've written, and put yourself in your mindset when you were 16. Would that have helped or not?

I find people who have come a long way sometimes forget where they came from, and how they viewed the world.

(To be fair, it's difficult in a forum post, because you're airing your thoughts to lots of people, and people who who have just started will be reading them, as well as people who've improved things.)

I admit that I probably worded it correctly but I can't help but feel upset about it. When I heard how much my depression and self-confidence bothered those around it (and in fact annoyed them) I was mad. Hurt even, but the fact of the matter is that it eventually sunk in and hit home. Seed planted and what not. I realize everyone has to deal with things differently and in their own way but I'm glad it happened that way for me. I'm sensative and often defensive, at first. Which is why I try to never fight the same day that someone pisses me off. lol.

Also, admittedly, there are differences in people. There is the fact that I actually am pretty and just couldn't see it (which I can see I do see on here) and the fact that I spend a lot of time in self-reflection (which is how I brought myself out of depression without the use of medications which may sound unusual but it is how it worked).

But the sentiment of my thoughts are still there, even if poorly worded. It's just the fact that by the time I realized the poor choice of words it was too late the amend them.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I guess I can understand being annoyed by someone who's extremely lacking in confidence. I know someone who's one of the most negative people I've ever seen. It can be rather tiresome after a while because it's almost incessant. Albeit, this person has other traits that are annoying as well, but yeah, lol.