If i hear one more person...

Options

Replies

• iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    OP can you help me with my problem? I keep putting on weight because I'm full of f***ing fabulous! What can I do?!
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Yeah well, thyroid is a different kind of thing than just getting off the couch.

Anyways, some motivation:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Wordman44
  • bhmathews
    bhmathews Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Dude. Seriously.

You do realize you did nothing for your cause, right? Cowboy up and just hit the back button next time you read a post that irritates you. Berating and belittling people doesn't help them find strength, motivation or responsibilty.
  • faely
    faely Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    6011d350_Ppf6e.gif

^ My fav response besides the do you even vote lol love dean!!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    "I am on a horse"
    --moo--
    "cow"
    tumblr_lor885QfQN1qc8b1uo1_500.jpg
    bs_zpsc4b7d1d2.jpg
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I like turtles. And socks.
    Oh my god. It was all worth it.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    It is quite obvious the OP does not have an issue with their thyroid.

I have been struggling with a thyroid that has a mind of its own since I was 18, it is hard. Impossible? no. Do I use it as an excuse? No. Is it frustrating to see people lose weight fast when I struggle? Yes.

Until you have an issue that does medically make losing weight difficult you really have no opinion on the subject now move along. Also if you don't want to read the topics you can just skip them. It is pretty simple.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    OP can you help me with my problem? I keep putting on weight because I'm full of f***ing fabulous! What can I do?!

Pull out your f***ing fabulous drain plug.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I get it. I totally get the, "Ugh, I hate seeing people hurt themselves by making excuses," or the, "I worked hard, through pain and no gain--why can't they?"

But boy... when you throw in a hormone issue that is the main control of your metabolism... that's just now how it works.

And I get the frustration at that, too. I can't tell you how many people have been "convinced" they have a thyroid issue because they can't seem to lose weight/keep gaining weight... but also don't track, exercise, anything. And end up having nothing wrong.

However, there IS a reason thyroid keeps coming up. In the grand scheme of things, the understanding of thyroid is in its infancy. Ten years ago, the people that were just "lazy" to doctors now have medication and are losing weight, because the scope of thyroid disease is being more widely understood. Hell, the norms for proper thyroid function have changed dramatically in different ways over the last THREE years.

So, now coverage is increasing as the science tries to keep on top of thyroid (modern medicine still doesn't even know the function/purpose of every thyroid hormone, hence why the main things measured are TSH from the pituitary, T3, T4 and sometimes RT3.)

Now, add on to the fact that this is a hormonal issue that affects the entire rest of the endocrine system (ovaries, pituitary, adrenal glands, etc.), these things can become taxed or affect depending on the state of the thyroid. And those things may end up needing correcting, or may be contributing to weight gain/loss/inability to lose... many people, men or women, end up having issues with weight because of the thyroid/adrenal connection, but like thyroid conditions, adrenal issues are still fairly new in the realm of medical research (Cushings and Addison's were considered the only issues... now doctors and scientists are fully understanding the scope of adrenal function in the body. Hell, doctors were removing adrenal glands within the last thirty years which ended in death no matter what. This stuff is still pretty newly understood).

Hope this helps your understanding a bit more.
  • Alaynaalexandrew
    Alaynaalexandrew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. That was a nice kick in the bute. I think I am going to spend an extra 30 min on the treadmill now. :smile:
  • rsjohnb
    rsjohnb Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    But but but....my farts are so much stinkier when I eat healthy.

PML!!! brilliant!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    You're 18 years old. See if you feel the same way in 25 years with some arthritis and a sluggish thyroid.

Ditto. Or 29 years later... I would be interested in hearing it then. :happy:
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    ...but pizza and chicken nuggets are awesome...
  • JodieP13
    JodieP13 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like turtles who wear socks.
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options

You clearly know nothing about pressure differences...
  • whierd
    Options
    I get it. I totally get the, "Ugh, I hate seeing people hurt themselves by making excuses," or the, "I worked hard, through pain and no gain--why can't they?"

But boy... when you throw in a hormone issue that is the main control of your metabolism... that's just now how it works.

And I get the frustration at that, too. I can't tell you how many people have been "convinced" they have a thyroid issue because they can't seem to lose weight/keep gaining weight... but also don't track, exercise, anything. And end up having nothing wrong.

However, there IS a reason thyroid keeps coming up. In the grand scheme of things, the understanding of thyroid is in its infancy. Ten years ago, the people that were just "lazy" to doctors now have medication and are losing weight, because the scope of thyroid disease is being more widely understood. Hell, the norms for proper thyroid function have changed dramatically in different ways over the last THREE years.

So, now coverage is increasing as the science tries to keep on top of thyroid (modern medicine still doesn't even know the function/purpose of every thyroid hormone, hence why the main things measured are TSH from the pituitary, T3, T4 and sometimes RT3.)

Now, add on to the fact that this is a hormonal issue that affects the entire rest of the endocrine system (ovaries, pituitary, adrenal glands, etc.), these things can become taxed or affect depending on the state of the thyroid. And those things may end up needing correcting, or may be contributing to weight gain/loss/inability to lose... many people, men or women, end up having issues with weight because of the thyroid/adrenal connection, but like thyroid conditions, adrenal issues are still fairly new in the realm of medical research (Cushings and Addison's were considered the only issues... now doctors and scientists are fully understanding the scope of adrenal function in the body. Hell, doctors were removing adrenal glands within the last thirty years which ended in death no matter what. This stuff is still pretty newly understood).

Hope this helps your understanding a bit more.

That was so hot. Teach me more...
  • whierd
    Options

You clearly know nothing about pressure differences...

I am a pressure difference expert, actually. You have to pull it out during a rainstorm or tropical depression.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    joker11_AND_HERE_WE_GO-s259x194-138013-580.jpg....with all the offended over-sensitve people...:ohwell:
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    6011d350_Ppf6e.gif

I :heart: Dean Winchester
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    -talk about thyroid
    -talk about not being able to lose
    -talk about how its hard

Let's go! No excuses! Work hard play hard. C'mon people stop giving your self excuses of why you can't lose weight.

Just put in the work in the gym and the kitchen.

ITS HARD BUT POSSIBLE. BE DISCIPLINED. IT WILL PAY OFF.

I care about everyone on here, but lets get to work and stop making excuses.

I am sick of people using thyroid as an excuse that they "cannot lose weight" as well or doctor's prescribing drugs to people who truly don't have problems with their thyroid.... that being said....

It is a REAL FREAKING problem. I have hypothyroidism... it took me over a year to lose 25 lbs at a consistent deficit and lifting VERY heavy. Someone who does not have a thyroid problem could not even fathom how it is to have one.

Does OP even know what your thyroid is? Or what your thyroid does?

OP do you want to know why my prolactin levels were that of a nursing mother/man with ED? Do you want to see how much hair i lost? How constantly freezing cold i am? How tired and worn out i constantly feel? How dry my skin was? How i had to have punctal plugs put into my eyes because they were so dry?

Honestly, the nerve of some people!
This discussion has been closed.