introvert or extrovert?

Options

Replies

• Tatonka_usn
    Tatonka_usn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Introvert

Mercatus Center scholar Jerry Brito debunking the top ten myths about introverts:

Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
    This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days.

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
    Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite.

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
    Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting.

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
    On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in.

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
    Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts.

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
    Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time.

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
    Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
    Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them.

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
    Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up.

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
    Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

source: http://spatialorientation.com/2011/10/14/misreading-introverts/

^^^^^^^^ Love this! Couldn't agree more....fits me to a T! :smile:
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Introvert around strangers and people I don't know very well.. Extrovert around friends, family and teh interwebs!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I'm smack-bang in the middle. I am socially outgoing but need time to recharge alone. I also need to mentally prepare for just about any major public presentation/party/meeting.
  • mikegl1
    mikegl1 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Both. I am an extrovert in my work envorment since it takes communication and positive interaction with people to get my job done.

Intovert at times when I just don't feel like being seen. Sometimes in a mall I wish I could be invisible so I could shop without being bothered or because there is one "uppity" mall around me where people go to be seen and flirt so people watch and judge how you look.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    OP- what you described is not introversion, it sounds more shy or antisocial.

Introverts gets their energy from being alone while extroverts get their energy from being around people.

I am very outgoing and friendly, but I get my energy from being alone. I am very much an introvert.
  • ArchangelMJ
    ArchangelMJ Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    OP- what you described is not introversion, it sounds more shy or antisocial.

I assume the OP is most likely shy as well as an introvert. That's how I am. Shyness isn't a prerequisite for introversion but is seems pretty common, kind of like perfectionism.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    very introverted but people say Im a little extroverted as well

with stockings like that (draws attention) I doubt you are an introvert.

As for me I am an extrovert, I am able to fit in any crowd. The only time I am an introvert is in meetings.
  • Excuse_less
    Excuse_less Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhere in the middle but usually on the shy side until I get to know people
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the pictures in my ticker and then you tell me(!)
  • SixPackIsMyGoal
    SixPackIsMyGoal Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm probably a shy extrovert, so maybe Introverted Extrovert...
  • iradamrawr
    iradamrawr Posts: 35
    Options
    i'm really uncomfortable around strangers in real life. i can put up a false front of friendliness and make small talk, but inside i find meeting new people to be very awkward and usually don't speak unless i must. when that happens, i mask that awkwardness with humor.

i don't like to be the center of attention and much prefer to be just another anonymous face in the crowd. i have no idea why some people so desperately want to become "famous". i would find that to be awful. i've always been this way. until i know somebody better, i'm always ill at ease around them.

i guess you could say i'm an introvert.

what about you?

thats basically me not too long ago now my position makes it hard to be antisocial/shy (i run a resturant and have to do the hiring/firing and be kind of the face of the guest service so im meeting people all the time) but i also would rather sit at home in front of the TV or computer or go for a run by myself or anything that doesnt involve anyone but me than being in a large group so im definatly an introvert
  • elledeery
    elledeery Posts: 866
    Options
    As long as I'm behind a computer screen or in a very small group of relatives or close friends I'm an extrovert, put me in a situation where I'm either surrounded by strangers or the room is full even if it is people I know well like family and friends I become the world's biggest introvert. I often wish I could be more out there when it comes to new people or even group settings but bullying induced social anxiety has really ruined that for me unfortunately so my adult years so far have been way more introverted than I would like.
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Total introvert. I can fake being comfortable in group situations when I need to, but I don't enjoy it.
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm an introvert with social anxiety.

It's not pretty if I have to do public speaking.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i'm really uncomfortable around strangers in real life. i can put up a false front of friendliness and make small talk, but inside i find meeting new people to be very awkward and usually don't speak unless i must. when that happens, i mask that awkwardness with humor.

i don't like to be the center of attention and much prefer to be just another anonymous face in the crowd. i have no idea why some people so desperately want to become "famous". i would find that to be awful. i've always been this way. until i know somebody better, i'm always ill at ease around them.

what about you?

I'm right there with you - I'm an introvert until I start drinking, then I relax and become the friendliest, most approachable, funniest person you'll meet! Weird, but true... lol
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

what about you?

Intorvert. There's nothing more horrifying to me than getting invited to a wedding.

Reminds me of a joke:

How do you know when you're dealing with an extroverted engineer?

He looks at *your* shoes while he's talking.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm always exhausted after being around a lot of people and I need to go home and just be alone for awhile.

Aw, textbook definition, lol. Introverts gain their energy from being alone and having "me-time", while extroverts get charged from interacting with people. When introverts interact with others,( and they may be very articulate and adept at this), they're still using up that energy they stored.

This is very me
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    Introvert.

It's incongruous for me sometimes - I'm loud, excitable, and actually enjoy being the center of attention. But I dislike leaving the house (in the winter months, it's not unusual for me to go *weeks* without leaving the house) and being around people - even people I like - exhausts me. I do well with small talk, but extending attention and energy any further is very hard for me.

Trying to figure out the rules, which are ever-changing depending on who I'm around and the mood, is difficult for me sometimes.

I often need a recharge time of days after a social occasion.

Thank God for the internet.
    This.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been introverted my whole life.
    I have no problem talking to people, I just don't initiate conversation.

I try to be outgoing, and sometimes I feel like I actually am--but, then I go to work and am surrounded by naturally out-going persons and it freaks me out.
    I feel bad because I think sometimes they think I don't like them, but I do. I just rather read than talk to them.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Introvert.

I'm an INxJ (50/50 split on T/F) --> for those of you who know Keirsey's Temperament Sorter or Myers-Briggs

A lot of folks don't know the difference between introversion and shyness and thus use the terms interchangably. The two are totally different things.

ETA: Being socially awkward or "disliking people" does not equate introversion!