introvert or extrovert?

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Shy introvert here.

I will recommend the book "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain. It isn't scientific but there are mentions of studies that have been done. It is mostly personal stories that relate to the studies. The beginning is also about how our society transformed from one that valued introverts to one that expects everyone to be extroverted. I know several people who have read and enjoyed it also.

ETA: I am an INTJ
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Introvert.

I'm an INxJ (50/50 split on T/F) --> for those of you who know Keirsey's Temperament Sorter or Myers-Briggs

A lot of folks don't know the difference between introversion and shyness and thus use the terms interchangably. The two are totally different things.

I do like using Myers Briggs as a tool to understand normal, healthy differences between people. Introversion and shyness are not the same.

Here's a high level Myers Briggs explanation of extraversion amd introversion:

http://www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/extraversion-or-introversion.asp
  • Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am such an introvert but I'm REALLY trying to be more extroverted! :ohwell:
  • weinbagel
    weinbagel Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i'm definitely an introvert, too! i HATE small talk and only speak when necessary :)
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Options
    Introvert. I find that being around people drains me.
  • ktafr16
    ktafr16 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I would call myself an extrovert when it comes to hanging around people I am comfortable with and introvert when I am meeting new people! But once I am comfortable around you, I am outgoing and don't necessarily think before I speak...always enjoyable!

Everyone is different and that is what makes the world enjoyable!
  • FUELERDUDE
    FUELERDUDE Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Introvert. I find dealing with people, and crowds, exhausting (I sometimes want to be in a crowd, but only as an observer because something interests me.). I work well in small groups of people and am normally slow to warm up to people in real life (The net is so much easier for some reason.). I am perfectly happy in my work area with little interaction with others.
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Introvert.

But I'm becoming socially better, with increased confidence from heavy lifting.

(Trying to get bulky..)
  • gangsterfurious
    Options
    I am definitely an introvert but the people I know do NOT believe me.

That's only because I'm really forcing myself and going by my motto "fake it till you make it".

I've really had to force my personality to act more extroverted to survive in this world. Especially in regards to getting jobs.

Blah.

I'd rather hide in a little office cube somewhere by myself but I keep ending up with people-facing positions.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Introvert.

I'm an INxJ (50/50 split on T/F) --> for those of you who know Keirsey's Temperament Sorter or Myers-Briggs

A lot of folks don't know the difference between introversion and shyness and thus use the terms interchangably. The two are totally different things.

Yes, introversion is not synonymous to shy and quiet. Also, extroversion is not synonymous to friendly and outgoing. This is a very common misunderstanding.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I hate people
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I am an introvert.

It can sometimes be a problem because my best friend/roommate is an extrovert and there are times when she wants to hang out and I just want to be alone and I sometimes end up unintentionally offending her or hurting her feelings by telling her that I'd rather hang out in my room by myself than spend time with her. But if I don't get enough alone time, I get really stressed out and cranky.

I also have social anxiety, so that's fun. I have a hard time talking to people and then I am able to convince myself that everybody hates me! Yeah. It's pretty cool.
  • TheWiseCat
    TheWiseCat Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm beyond being an introvert. I am a stab-people-in-the-face-trovert.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I'm an extrovert.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm kind of weird. I am both. At work I have no problem at all interacting with my coworkers and clients, even when I am out on a business trip with brand new clients I don't know; people think I am witty and fun to be around. I am a big goof ball and laugh a lot, they see the real me, I guess you could say.

However, in my personal life I have a really hard when I first meet new people as well. I clam up and get all weird (okay, weirder than I normally am). Once I know people and am comfortable around them I am able to be myself, goofy and fun-loving.

The funny thing is that I don't really care what strangers think; I play air drums while walking down the sidewalk, I do laugh loudly and often. If people notice or stare, I don't notice or care, but if they approach me I get awkward.
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    I'm a total introvert. I find it difficult to talk to anyone I don't know. If I make conversation with a stranger, I am forcing myself to do so and end up feeling like I was just talking jibberish. I don't like going to social events or anywhere that has a large group of people. I have very few RL friends. I enjoy "me" time and spending time with my family and friends. What's funny is that most of my friends are extroverts and they are the ones that took the time to befriend me. It's a challenge for them to get me to go out with them. Sometimes I wish I could be more extroverted but I know it's not going to happen.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    First, a definition - an extrovert gains energy from being around other people and finds being alone taxing. An introvert gains energy from being alone and finds being around people draining. Introverts are not misanthropes.

I am a social introvert. I like people, a LOT, but it drains my energy but I have to retreat and gather my thoughts every hour or two. If I'm out being social all day then I might need days to recuperate.

I wish I was an extrovert and could bounce around, being social, without cost, but that's not me. You guys have it made.
  • Increditim
    Increditim Posts: 159
    Options
    Very extrovert - like very. That is all I can say. I'm too shy to share any more.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i don't know.

I am unassuming and fairly quiet. I don't go out of my way to meet new people nor chat up strangers.

However, I enjoy performing in front of people. I like getting on a stage and singing and I used to act in plays.

I am much more comfortable singing in front of 100 people than I am singing in front of a few.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I pretty much base everything I do on whether or not there will be people there. And by everything I do, I mean working out and shopping...that's all I do because, I do not care for crowds or any people to begin with. I'd say I show strong signs of introvert-ism.