Husband wants to juice!!! - I prefer he did not!!

Options

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    i don't think it is very manly to juice but that is my personal opinion. i would take away my husband's man card if he wanted to juice. i have never tried it. i never will. i agree that is a fad diet. why doesn't he just go lift and drink a protein shake after- you could use a blender for those too! :)

Wtf?

wtf? wtf?

Sexist much? It's... just juice. What does that have to do with your "manliness"? I assume men shouldn't be vegans or take care of their skin either?
  • leahcecile
    leahcecile Posts: 2
    Options
    First off, that movie is not objective in that it only presents one point of view. I see it as a very long commercial for juice makers (you'll notice he is actually a spokesperson for a brand if juicers). I think it's important for your husband to see his doctor and ask him whether juicing-only might be dangerous. If he is pre-diabetic, for example, ingesting that much sugar at one time could exacerbate it.

I juice for nutrients since I never get enough fruit in my diet, but I never replace even one meal with it. My doctor thought I was taking a multivitamin from my blood work, but it was just the juice. It's a great way to make sure you are getting the nutrients we all need, but I hesitate at the idea that any liquid-only diet is a good idea. Our bodies just weren't evolved to do that. And natural fiber is so clearly amazing for our health and our weight.

It sounds like your husband is looking for an easy way out honestly, and we all know how many of those there are in real life. Go to the Mayo Clinic website to find actual scientific data about different fad diets - every article ends the same; eating less calories than you burn is the only reliable way to lose weight. That being said, the quickest way out of this situation might be just to get him on the juice diet so he can either succeed (always possible) or fail already and be done with it.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I am glad I am currently single and can eat what I want when I want without interference these days.
    I am into juicing for a couple of months now. I have never successfully only had juices all day ever, even at my
    best I have consumed salads, sprouted peas and beans and seed bars , nuts, and thick smoothies.
    I would let him do what he likes and see for himself the health benefits and what he can manage.
    My aim is to be raw vegan and I had to get back on here because its amazing the amount of calories you can consume,
    especially with a healthy appetite from fitness.

As those into juicing say : Nobody goes into a frenzy over people eating junk food, ask them how they are going to live and
    where are they going to get there nutrients from, but juice a large quantity of vegetable and fruits, and people are freaked out!

Here is my problem - I think he is doing it to drop weight fast. He has been having problems with his back and thinks his weight is to blame. He is already losing counting calories but knows he lost more that one week he tried the juicing. So my thought (fear) is that he is not doing it for the "healthy" reasons but more of a quick fix. Then when he goes back to eating food...we are back to square one.

I am not freaking out believe me...not my style. But trying to convince him to lose the weight in a manner that he can continue for the rest of his life so he does not have to start all over in 6 months. In my mind...like I said pure juicing is just a quick fix. Convincing him to eat a sensible dinner in addition to juicing took me a bit of pressure to convince him. Mind you we have 2 - 8 year old girls. i do not under any circumstance want them to have unhealthy relationships with food so I am careful how they perceive food. Seeing their Daddy (who they copy quite often) drink his meals = unhealthy thoughts later on in life. So I got him to agree to that. Right now he says he won't on the weekend - but if he drops weight he may be intrigued to push it further. Being single without kids is one thing...being married with small children (female mind you and one already with weight issues..) is another.

Not to mention - protein...how much protein can he get with the food he chooses to juice?? - Losing muscle is not an option.

Ok yes drastic weight loss is the usual angle rather than health, I understand now.

Your questions deserve answers:

Vegetables provide incomplete proteins, chains of amino acids, apparently the body can reuse protein and have chains of amino acids in store , so doesn't need full chain to be eaten in one day.

Spinach 49% protein
    kale 45% protein
    broccoli 45% protein
    cauliflower 48% protein
    cucumber 24% protein
    green pepper 22% protein

If he wasn't eating an evening meal it would be good to eat sprouted beans and seed and various nuts

Hope this helps

Perfect - yes that helps!!! Now question - is this before juicing totals or after? Does juicing really just remove fiber? Or do they lose other nutrients such as above?

For a man with his build I am very concerned about protein. Especially since he mentioned starting the gym. And like I said when he did it before I noticed he was grabbing veggies / fruits that he likes and knows..without any rhyme or reason. Thank you tons for this!

The most important question is how LONG does he plan to do this for?
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I think you have gotten some pretty good for/against opinions in this thread.

If you take anything from it, I would say it is not to close your mind to the prospect of him trying it. I wouldn't do it personally, but that is my preference.

I hope he enjoys it and it turns out to be a good experience for him. You however, I can tell you don't want to do it, and that is OKAY! Don't let him rope you into doing it if you truly don't want to.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Tell him to read a book by Jose Canseco called "juiced". The plan in there will get him better results.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    OP I notice you're not responding to the folks who support juicing. Are you just looking for people to validate your opinion or are you actually looking to learn about the benefits?

No LOL (well maybe..no just kidding) - what I am looking for are not just opinions...but facts of why it is good or why it is bad. We all have our own opinions on diets. And other than starving yourself..who says what is right or wrong. However I love my husband and if it causes more problems than it solves...I want him to be aware of it. If someone gives me their opinion of why it is good - that doesn't help me...I need facts of why it is good. If someone agrees with me on why it is bad..well then..I agree haha ;)

Just need solid info so I can speak my peace and help him at least do it safely.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    i don't think it is very manly to juice but that is my personal opinion. i would take away my husband's man card if he wanted to juice. i have never tried it. i never will. i agree that is a fad diet. why doesn't he just go lift and drink a protein shake after- you could use a blender for those too! :)

Wtf?

wtf? wtf?

Sexist much? It's... just juice. What does that have to do with your "manliness"? I assume men shouldn't be vegans or take care of their skin either?

sexist? seriously? it is just my opinion dude. get over it.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Tell him to read a book by Jose Canseco called "juiced". The plan in there will get him better results.

Will look that up - thank you!
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Yeah...he was trolling you. Jose Canseco was a steroid using baseball player.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Not eating is simply bad for your body. Here are some substantiated reasons why extended juining is not good for you:

Juice fasts are simply not sustainable. Any weight you lose, you’ll put straight back on again, possibly with extra because short-term, low-calorie crash diets like this mess around with your metabolism. And once you start eating "normally" again you will simply gain the weight you lost back.

Fiber – (or the lack of it) With no fiber in your diet, even after a couple of days, constipation will become a problem, and in the long term, your cholesterol levels could be affected as fiber helps keep them low. So if you’re not getting enough fiber, your cholesterol could shoot up.

You’ll undoubtedly always feel hungry as you’re not consuming any of the fiber that helps fill you up.

Don’t even think about exercising. You might be getting a quick sugar rush, but you’re not consuming any carbohydrates, so exercising, or even normal daily life is going to be almost impossible. You’ll feel light-headed and exhausted.
    Stomach aches are also a common side-effect of the juice fast.

Protein – (or the lack of it) Plan on losing a considerable amount of muscle tissue. No protein = no muscle maintenance. Also the chance on losing your hair increases due to the lack of protein and other essential nutrients. If your body isn’t getting the nutrition it needs, it powers down the processes that it considers as being not essential to life, and one of those is hair production. Oh, yea, and you will always feel hungry as protien helps with satation

Juice from vegetables and especially from fruits, which tend to have a higher acid content, can damage the enamel of your teeth in exactly the same way that a fizzy drink would. Generally, we consider the acids in fruit and vegetables to be “good” but that’s only in the context of eating the whole thing, not when you’re drinking a super-concentrated juice.

Low-calorie diets like juicing cause the body’s insulin levels to spike and crash which initially causes break-outs, but over time, this insulin cycle alters the structures of collagen and elastin in the body, making them stiffer, and causing skin to look prematurely old. Damage to collagen will also affect your teeth, as it’s collagen fibers that hold them in place.

So, a lack of energy, a messed-up digestive system, prematurely aged skin, rotting teeth and hair loss, muscle loss — hardly the healthy, cleansed body that juice devotees are aiming for, is it?
  • chasetwins
    Options
    I am glad I am currently single and can eat what I want when I want without interference these days.
    I am into juicing for a couple of months now. I have never successfully only had juices all day ever, even at my
    best I have consumed salads, sprouted peas and beans and seed bars , nuts, and thick smoothies.
    I would let him do what he likes and see for himself the health benefits and what he can manage.
    My aim is to be raw vegan and I had to get back on here because its amazing the amount of calories you can consume,
    especially with a healthy appetite from fitness.

As those into juicing say : Nobody goes into a frenzy over people eating junk food, ask them how they are going to live and
    where are they going to get there nutrients from, but juice a large quantity of vegetable and fruits, and people are freaked out!

Here is my problem - I think he is doing it to drop weight fast. He has been having problems with his back and thinks his weight is to blame. He is already losing counting calories but knows he lost more that one week he tried the juicing. So my thought (fear) is that he is not doing it for the "healthy" reasons but more of a quick fix. Then when he goes back to eating food...we are back to square one.

I am not freaking out believe me...not my style. But trying to convince him to lose the weight in a manner that he can continue for the rest of his life so he does not have to start all over in 6 months. In my mind...like I said pure juicing is just a quick fix. Convincing him to eat a sensible dinner in addition to juicing took me a bit of pressure to convince him. Mind you we have 2 - 8 year old girls. i do not under any circumstance want them to have unhealthy relationships with food so I am careful how they perceive food. Seeing their Daddy (who they copy quite often) drink his meals = unhealthy thoughts later on in life. So I got him to agree to that. Right now he says he won't on the weekend - but if he drops weight he may be intrigued to push it further. Being single without kids is one thing...being married with small children (female mind you and one already with weight issues..) is another.

Not to mention - protein...how much protein can he get with the food he chooses to juice?? - Losing muscle is not an option.

Ok yes drastic weight loss is the usual angle rather than health, I understand now.

Your questions deserve answers:

Vegetables provide incomplete proteins, chains of amino acids, apparently the body can reuse protein and have chains of amino acids in store , so doesn't need full chain to be eaten in one day.

Spinach 49% protein
    kale 45% protein
    broccoli 45% protein
    cauliflower 48% protein
    cucumber 24% protein
    green pepper 22% protein

If he wasn't eating an evening meal it would be good to eat sprouted beans and seed and various nuts

Hope this helps

Perfect - yes that helps!!! Now question - is this before juicing totals or after? Does juicing really just remove fiber? Or do they lose other nutrients such as above?

For a man with his build I am very concerned about protein. Especially since he mentioned starting the gym. And like I said when he did it before I noticed he was grabbing veggies / fruits that he likes and knows..without any rhyme or reason. Thank you tons for this!

The most important question is how LONG does he plan to do this for?

Right now he is all over the place with that answer...first it was eating only dinner. Then it was well maybe I will do it every day at work only (long term) and then it was well maybe I will do it every other week. Then he was back to long term !? LOL I think it depends on his success-fulness of weight loss.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

I think the point still stands
  • chasetwins
    Options

well at least you know I do not want sports or pay any attention to it what so ever...Thank you! (and the original..Punk!)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Huh, Totally over my head. I guess, I dont understand why "juicing" is feminine? Just shaking my head confused!!

Wtf?

wtf? wtf?

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    What you prefer is not relevent, you do not make his choices. Give him information that you feel is relevent to your concerns and then back off. He will make his own decision.

RIGHT.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    OP I notice you're not responding to the folks who support juicing. Are you just looking for people to validate your opinion or are you actually looking to learn about the benefits?

No LOL (well maybe..no just kidding) - what I am looking for are not just opinions...but facts of why it is good or why it is bad. We all have our own opinions on diets. And other than starving yourself..who says what is right or wrong. However I love my husband and if it causes more problems than it solves...I want him to be aware of it. If someone gives me their opinion of why it is good - that doesn't help me...I need facts of why it is good. If someone agrees with me on why it is bad..well then..I agree haha ;)

Just need solid info so I can speak my peace and help him at least do it safely.

Haha I wish I was at a computer, but juicing helps with quick absorption of nutrients, enzymes, all sorts of great stuff, without the body having to separate it from the fiber first. It's definitely not a long term solution, but it can really provide a lot of benefits in the short term. The reality is that they're going to be the same benefits as if he were eating a clean diet. Juicing or cleansing can just make the transition easier because it can help break "addictions" to crap. The really important thing, though, is what you do on the other end of the juicing plan. If you go back to eating normally, the weight will come back.
  • Weighinginwithmy02
    Weighinginwithmy02 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I would prefer my husband to be an example to my kids by juicing a lot rather than driving them through McDonalds or making frozen processed foods every night for dinner.....It could be worse. It sounds like he is still eating dinner, snacks, and eating on the weekends. Nothing wrong with it. He is drinking juice from vegetables that come from the earth.
    He shouldn't do anything that you wouldn't encourage your child to do, or your teenager to do, or your twenty year old child to do. He is supposed to be setting an example for you child as to how to eat healthfully and balanced. He is a parent and he has that responsibility. He could include juice, of course, to add to his diet, but not as every single meal for multiple days in a row. What kind of parental message is that to send? If that's not enough to convince him that it's a horrible idea then I don't know what is.

Why would going through Mcdonalds or eating processed food be the only other option? How about eating food? You know, from the earth. And like I said, he could include juice, of course, but not as every single meal for multiple days in a row, unless that's what you would teach your child. It is not what I will teach mine.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options

Don't think there aren't any health benefits to juicing. If you use the almighty Google, there are plenty out there. I know a young lady who juices all of her veggies but she does that because she won't eat them. I consider that a much different situation that what you are describing. But there are some significant health benefits, especially when taken as a supplement for foods you don't like to eat.

I don't particularly like the prospect of it for losing weight, I try to get all the fiber in my diet that I can. That's just me though, some people swear by it.
  • monipie
    monipie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Huh, Totally over my head. I guess, I dont understand why "juicing" is feminine? Just shaking my head confused!!

Wtf?

wtf? wtf?

that is why it is called an opinion. you like yellow hats? i don't...i don't understand why you like yellow hats?! who f*cking cares- it is not for me to understand. you just like them. i just feel it is not very many to drink fruits and vegetables instead of eating real food. it reminds me of a "get skinny quick" fad diet. people, get over it. not everyone has to share the same damn opinions or feelings or beliefs about drinking food.
  • Taffy2426
    Taffy2426 Posts: 2
    Options
    Watch Fat, sick, and almost dead... or visit www.fatsickandalmostdead.com ... I want to juice as soon as I can afford a good expensive juicer. Really great benefits...