Husband wants to juice!!! - I prefer he did not!!

Options

Replies

• sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am glad I am currently single and can eat what I want when I want without interference these days.
    I am into juicing for a couple of months now. I have never successfully only had juices all day ever, even at my
    best I have consumed salads, sprouted peas and beans and seed bars , nuts, and thick smoothies.
    I would let him do what he likes and see for himself the health benefits and what he can manage.
    My aim is to be raw vegan and I had to get back on here because its amazing the amount of calories you can consume,
    especially with a healthy appetite from fitness.

As those into juicing say : Nobody goes into a frenzy over people eating junk food, ask them how they are going to live and
    where are they going to get there nutrients from, but juice a large quantity of vegetable and fruits, and people are freaked out!

Here is my problem - I think he is doing it to drop weight fast. He has been having problems with his back and thinks his weight is to blame. He is already losing counting calories but knows he lost more that one week he tried the juicing. So my thought (fear) is that he is not doing it for the "healthy" reasons but more of a quick fix. Then when he goes back to eating food...we are back to square one.

I am not freaking out believe me...not my style. But trying to convince him to lose the weight in a manner that he can continue for the rest of his life so he does not have to start all over in 6 months. In my mind...like I said pure juicing is just a quick fix. Convincing him to eat a sensible dinner in addition to juicing took me a bit of pressure to convince him. Mind you we have 2 - 8 year old girls. i do not under any circumstance want them to have unhealthy relationships with food so I am careful how they perceive food. Seeing their Daddy (who they copy quite often) drink his meals = unhealthy thoughts later on in life. So I got him to agree to that. Right now he says he won't on the weekend - but if he drops weight he may be intrigued to push it further. Being single without kids is one thing...being married with small children (female mind you and one already with weight issues..) is another.

Not to mention - protein...how much protein can he get with the food he chooses to juice?? - Losing muscle is not an option.

Ok yes drastic weight loss is the usual angle rather than health, I understand now.

Your questions deserve answers:

Vegetables provide incomplete proteins, chains of amino acids, apparently the body can reuse protein and have chains of amino acids in store , so doesn't need full chain to be eaten in one day.

Spinach 49% protein
    kale 45% protein
    broccoli 45% protein
    cauliflower 48% protein
    cucumber 24% protein
    green pepper 22% protein

If he wasn't eating an evening meal it would be good to eat sprouted beans and seed and various nuts

Hope this helps

Perfect - yes that helps!!! Now question - is this before juicing totals or after? Does juicing really just remove fiber? Or do they lose other nutrients such as above?

For a man with his build I am very concerned about protein. Especially since he mentioned starting the gym. And like I said when he did it before I noticed he was grabbing veggies / fruits that he likes and knows..without any rhyme or reason. Thank you tons for this!

Juicing removes the insoluble fibre which leaves all nutrients in the juice.
    Insoluble fibre however does have its value in the digestive system , so I eat bananas etc smoothies.
    Juicing is a way of getting high concentrations of nutrients from a large number of fruits and vegetables, more fruit and veg
    that anyone could generally eat in one day with the best will in the world.

Total juicing ( no solid food) should be for short periods of time and is called a fast although a fast is really just water.
    Extended fasting suit highly spiritual persons and most people cant manage :)
  • buttonfeet
    buttonfeet Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I did it in phases for 60 days, then stopped for a bit. I'm still losing a lot of weight and have more energy than ever. Juicing caused my entire appetite to change in 4 days. I no longer have cravings for junk food or large amounts of red meat. My devotion to bacon dried up instantly. It was (and still is) really weird.
    I don't think juicing was ever intended to be a sole source of food, but it definitely helped me reboot my system. I would never suggest juicing for more than 60 days and I wouldn't suggest that as his only food source for those 60 days.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Personally I find it baffling, to separate out the fiber like that. But I am a person who likes to drink their calories and so many people are baffled by my love for shakes and smoothies, so I don't suppose I have room to talk.
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    There are many opinions out there about juicing, and one I've read in a book recently by a celebrity trainer was that juicing removed some of the vital nutrients found in the fruits and veggies and that it's actually a better idea to blend them into a smoothie! Now, as long as he's getting all his food groups (protein, carbs, healthy fats) with his meals then I don't see anything wrong with it, but he has to be getting protein in every meal! I love to make a healthy smoothie for one meal a day and plan to maybe start doing it for two meals a day and eat a healthy dinner!

You're never going to really find the facts you need, because whatever facts you find to support your argument, there will always be facts to support the other side as well! Information nowadays is just all over the place and crazy! As long as he's getting his nutrients and hopefully exercising then it's all good!

Here is a link to that book I was talking about! http://www.amazon.com/The-Body-Reset-Diet-Metabolism/dp/1609615506
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Try to stand by your husband and be supportive. :)
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I am glad I am currently single and can eat what I want when I want without interference these days.
    I am into juicing for a couple of months now. I have never successfully only had juices all day ever, even at my
    best I have consumed salads, sprouted peas and beans and seed bars , nuts, and thick smoothies.
    I would let him do what he likes and see for himself the health benefits and what he can manage.
    My aim is to be raw vegan and I had to get back on here because its amazing the amount of calories you can consume,

As those into juicing say : Nobody goes into a frenzy over people eating junk food, ask them how they are going to live and
    where are they going to get there nutrients from, but juice a large quantity of vegetable and fruits, and people are freaked out!

Here is my problem - I think he is doing it to drop weight fast. He has been having problems with his back and thinks his weight is to blame. He is already losing counting calories but knows he lost more that one week he tried the juicing. So my thought (fear) is that he is not doing it for the "healthy" reasons but more of a quick fix. Then when he goes back to eating food...we are back to square one.

I am not freaking out believe me...not my style. But trying to convince him to lose the weight in a manner that he can continue for the rest of his life so he does not have to start all over in 6 months. In my mind...like I said pure juicing is just a quick fix. Convincing him to eat a sensible dinner in addition to juicing took me a bit of pressure to convince him. Mind you we have 2 - 8 year old girls. i do not under any circumstance want them to have unhealthy relationships with food so I am careful how they perceive food. Seeing their Daddy (who they copy quite often) drink his meals = unhealthy thoughts later on in life. So I got him to agree to that. Right now he says he won't on the weekend - but if he drops weight he may be intrigued to push it further. Being single without kids is one thing...being married with small children (female mind you and one already with weight issues..) is another.

Not to mention - protein...how much protein can he get with the food he chooses to juice?? - Losing muscle is not an option.

Ok yes drastic weight loss is the usual angle rather than health, I understand now.

Vegetables provide incomplete proteins, chains of amino acids, apparently the body can reuse protein and have chains of amino acids in store , so doesn't need full chain to be eaten in one day.

Spinach 49% protein
    kale 45% protein
    broccoli 45% protein
    cauliflower 48% protein
    cucumber 24% protein
    green pepper 22% protein

If he wasn't eating an evening meal it would be good to eat sprouted beans and seed and various nuts

Hope this helps

Perfect - yes that helps!!! Now question - is this before juicing totals or after? Does juicing really just remove fiber? Or do they lose other nutrients such as above?

For a man with his build I am very concerned about protein. Especially since he mentioned starting the gym. And like I said when he did it before I noticed he was grabbing veggies / fruits that he likes and knows..without any rhyme or reason. Thank you tons for this!

Juicing removes the insoluble fibre which leaves all nutrients in the juice.
    Insoluble fibre however does have its value in the digestive system , so I eat bananas etc smoothies.
    Juicing is a way of getting high concentrations of nutrients from a large number of fruits and vegetables, more fruit and veg
    that anyone could generally eat in one day with the best will in the world.

Total juicing ( no solid food) should be for short periods of time and is called a fast although a fast is really just water.
    Extended fasting suit highly spiritual persons and most people cant manage :)

You rock! Thank you for the explanations...:)
  • chasetwins
    Options
    There are many opinions out there about juicing, and one I've read in a book recently by a celebrity trainer was that juicing removed some of the vital nutrients found in the fruits and veggies and that it's actually a better idea to blend them into a smoothie! Now, as long as he's getting all his food groups (protein, carbs, healthy fats) with his meals then I don't see anything wrong with it, but he has to be getting protein in every meal! I love to make a healthy smoothie for one meal a day and plan to maybe start doing it for two meals a day and eat a healthy dinner!

You're never going to really find the facts you need, because whatever facts you find to support your argument, there will always be facts to support the other side as well! Information nowadays is just all over the place and crazy! As long as he's getting his nutrients and hopefully exercising then it's all good!

Here is a link to that book I was talking about! http://www.amazon.com/The-Body-Reset-Diet-Metabolism/dp/1609615506

Thank you ...and so true!! LOL
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    OP I notice you're not responding to the folks who support juicing. Are you just looking for people to validate your opinion or are you actually looking to learn about the benefits?

No LOL (well maybe..no just kidding) - what I am looking for are not just opinions...but facts of why it is good or why it is bad. We all have our own opinions on diets. And other than starving yourself..who says what is right or wrong. However I love my husband and if it causes more problems than it solves...I want him to be aware of it. If someone gives me their opinion of why it is good - that doesn't help me...I need facts of why it is good. If someone agrees with me on why it is bad..well then..I agree haha ;)

Just need solid info so I can speak my peace and help him at least do it safely.

Haha I wish I was at a computer, but juicing helps with quick absorption of nutrients, enzymes, all sorts of great stuff, without the body having to separate it from the fiber first. It's definitely not a long term solution, but it can really provide a lot of benefits in the short term. The reality is that they're going to be the same benefits as if he were eating a clean diet. Juicing or cleansing can just make the transition easier because it can help break "addictions" to crap. The really important thing, though, is what you do on the other end of the juicing plan. If you go back to eating normally, the weight will come back.

Too true it needs to be a start of a clean eating, healthy lifestyle change!
  • TBirdColorado
    TBirdColorado Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Consult a doctor.

There are MANY good fitness/diet books out there by actual practicing Medical Doctors.

The first that come to mind are
    "Just Tell Me What to Eat"
    and
    "Body for Life" (There is also BFL For Women)

Neither of those mentions juicing that I recall.
    There is also a book by an OD (Osteopath) called "What Does Your Doctor Look like Naked?" about nutrition.
  • chasetwins
    Options
    I did it in phases for 60 days, then stopped for a bit. I'm still losing a lot of weight and have more energy than ever. Juicing caused my entire appetite to change in 4 days. I no longer have cravings for junk food or large amounts of red meat. My devotion to bacon dried up instantly. It was (and still is) really weird.
    I don't think juicing was ever intended to be a sole source of food, but it definitely helped me reboot my system. I would never suggest juicing for more than 60 days and I wouldn't suggest that as his only food source for those 60 days.

He just mentioned the whole cravings thing...He is a muncher for sure and thinks this will kill his urge to stop munching. Thank you! (removal of bacon...ohhhh the devastation I feel LOL)
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Consult a doctor.

There are MANY good fitness/diet books out there by actual practicing Medical Doctors.

The first that come to mind are
    "Just Tell Me What to Eat"
    and
    "Body for Life" (There is also BFL For Women)

Neither of those mentions juicing that I recall.
    There is also a book by an OD (Osteopath) called "What Does Your Doctor Look like Naked?" about nutrition.

Someone else mentioned getting a doctors opinion - and I told him...to be sure his body would be OK to do this he may want to make an appointment for some blood work first. (plus having his Dr.s ok would validate him haha) Hopefully he at least takes that bit of advice from here.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Huh, Totally over my head. I guess, I dont understand why "juicing" is feminine? Just shaking my head confused!!
    i don't think it is very manly to juice but that is my personal opinion. i would take away my husband's man card if he wanted to juice. i have never tried it. i never will. i agree that is a fad diet. why doesn't he just go lift and drink a protein shake after- you could use a blender for those too! :)

Wtf?

wtf? wtf?

Sexist much? It's... just juice. What does that have to do with your "manliness"? I assume men shouldn't be vegans or take care of their skin either?

that is why it is called an opinion. you like yellow hats? i don't...i don't understand why you like yellow hats?! who f*cking cares- it is not for me to understand. you just like them. i just feel it is not very many to drink fruits and vegetables instead of eating real food. it reminds me of a "get skinny quick" fad diet. people, get over it. not everyone has to share the same damn opinions or feelings or beliefs about drinking food.

having preconceived notions about groups of people, be they men, women, blacks, whites, asians, gays, straights, etc are not the same thing as liking yellow hats.

but anyway, back to the thread.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Since I was called a troll for making a joke...Here is some real advice.

The majority of time when (i said majority) someone undertakes an extreme diet such as a juice fast, here is what happens. Instant success on the scale, the majority of which is water loss. You are miserable and eventually water levels balance out and even though you are starving all the time you see little progress on the scale in a week or two. Despair sets in, and you think of every food you like and you eat all of it. You then weigh yourself and find that you gained the majority of the weight back.

Then a second post comes on board that you are giving up and nothing works.

Please convince him to start a manageable diet with a moderate calorie deficit and get to the gym.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    He is eating food. He is eating dinner with his family. He is juicing from morning until dinner, Eats dinner with his family, has a snack, and eats food during the weekends. I dont understand why that would be setting a bad example for children? I think its setting a GREAT example for the children. When I have kids, I am going to show them how to juice fresh fruit from an orange and strawberries rather than go to the store and buy the premade juice that has all the other additives. I think it would be a
    great example to set for your children. Its sad the way children are growing up these days, so many obese children.
    I would prefer my husband to be an example to my kids by juicing a lot rather than driving them through McDonalds or making frozen processed foods every night for dinner.....It could be worse. It sounds like he is still eating dinner, snacks, and eating on the weekends. Nothing wrong with it. He is drinking juice from vegetables that come from the earth.
    He shouldn't do anything that you wouldn't encourage your child to do, or your teenager to do, or your twenty year old child to do. He is supposed to be setting an example for you child as to how to eat healthfully and balanced. He is a parent and he has that responsibility. He could include juice, of course, to add to his diet, but not as every single meal for multiple days in a row. What kind of parental message is that to send? If that's not enough to convince him that it's a horrible idea then I don't know what is.

Why would going through Mcdonalds or eating processed food be the only other option? How about eating food? You know, from the earth. And like I said, he could include juice, of course, but not as every single meal for multiple days in a row, unless that's what you would teach your child. It is not what I will teach mine.
  • nas061
    nas061 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    @nerdlyness
    It flushes out built up toxins in your system

Such as?
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

Spinach 49% protein
    kale 45% protein
    broccoli 45% protein
    cauliflower 48% protein
    cucumber 24% protein
    green pepper 22% protein

Hope this helps

The most important question is how LONG does he plan to do this for?

Right now he is all over the place with that answer...first it was eating only dinner. Then it was well maybe I will do it every day at work only (long term) and then it was well maybe I will do it every other week. Then he was back to long term !? LOL I think it depends on his success-fulness of weight loss.

ok this is a problem then.

he needs to be educated that juicing two meals a day is NOT sustainable long term. this needs to be a short term way for him to overhaul his diet, nothing more than that. if he's seeing this as something he's going to do for the long haul, he will most likely end up right where he is now.

what is your husband's (and your) diet like right now? where do you guys want it to be?
  • chasetwins
    Options
    Since I was called a troll for making a joke...Here is some real advice.

The majority of time when (i said majority) someone undertakes an extreme diet such as a juice fast, here is what happens. Instant success on the scale, the majority of which is water loss. You are miserable and eventually water levels balance out and even though you are starving all the time you see little progress on the scale in a week or two. Despair sets in, and you think of every food you like and you eat all of it. You then weigh yourself and find that you gained the majority of the weight back.

Then a second post comes on board that you are giving up and nothing works.

Please convince him to start a manageable diet with a moderate calorie deficit and get to the gym.

^^ This is EXACTLY my thoughts when I started this thread! ^^ Well that and how much damage it can do besides the obvious. :/ (too much sugar etc. - too much of anything is bad in my opinion)

Hopefully he will speak with his doctor - from there if they say go ahead then I just have to ensure he has all the info necessary to do it as safely as humanly possible until he stops.
    If and when he stops...then I kick in with sensible meals all day so he can learn how to lose then maintain ;) Like someone else said previously..you can lead a horse to water...getting him to drink is a totally different battle.
  • chasetwins
    Options

Spinach 49% protein
    kale 45% protein
    broccoli 45% protein
    cauliflower 48% protein
    cucumber 24% protein
    green pepper 22% protein

Hope this helps

The most important question is how LONG does he plan to do this for?

Right now he is all over the place with that answer...first it was eating only dinner. Then it was well maybe I will do it every day at work only (long term) and then it was well maybe I will do it every other week. Then he was back to long term !? LOL I think it depends on his success-fulness of weight loss.

ok this is a problem then.

he needs to be educated that juicing two meals a day is NOT sustainable long term. this needs to be a short term way for him to overhaul his diet, nothing more than that. if he's seeing this as something he's going to do for the long haul, he will most likely end up right where he is now.

what is your husband's (and your) diet like right now? where do you guys want it to be?

I just started him out on Monday doing what I am...TDEE - 20% I work out - he doesn't currently. I also bought him a fit bit so I can get a better idea on how much he moves around at work. He lost 5 pounds the first 2 days or something (weighs himself daily) then nothing and then the topic of juicing came back up :( Hence my thought he is looking for a quick fix.

My goal (for both) is to lose the weight to something reasonably healthy (doesn't have to be perfect) and then maintain a healthy active lifestyle....
  • kikazzi
    kikazzi Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been on a juice cleanse of fruits and veggies for 30 days now with my wife so I thought I might add my thoughts & experience.
    First, know that a juice cleanse is to get you healthy and get rid of the trash from your body. Losing weight is a side benefit. The health benefits should be the goal, not the weight loss.
    Second, I would only recommend doing it with a goal in mind, as in a limited period of time. I think the best bet is 15-20 days. Check out Reboot with Joe. My wife and I are doing 60 days but I think they benefits seem to be all in place by 20 days at the latest.
    Third, go all in. It's a cleanse. There is no point in a partial cleanse. Do not do off days or normal meals. Ease back into regular eating at the end, adding a small meal or so a day. Not only is this how you get the benefits of the cleanse, its also how you keep your sanity. Not eating anything is so much easier than occasionally eating.
    Fourth, know that your first week will SUCK. Get past it, it is brutal. You will be in a terrible mood and will not feel good. Push through.

My results so far: I feel great. I've been lifting heavily, running, biking, and playing soccer. Because of my workout levels I supplement with protein powders so I don't die. I've lost some muscle mass in spite of this, not too much but some, probably 2 pounds, since in my first week I didn't supplement. The amount of energy available to your body is incredible. I have been able to run farther than I have in over a year. It's like you take a step and get your runner's high.
    For the past 4 years I've had rashes, both underarm and a forehead rash. With medication I could keep them at bay. I've not used any medication since a few days before I started this. The rashes are gone. They disappeared entirely in the first 2 weeks. I can't tell you how happy I am about that.
    My acne is reduced and it heals up a lot faster. It took around 25 days for this benefit, probably because it's not entirely related to eating.
    Finally I've lost around 18 pounds, but as I said, that's a side benefit. A little bit of muscle is in that, I've dipped about 5% in my lifting ability. I was not obese or anything; I'm 6'2 and weigh 182 today. I'll hit 5% bodyfat at 170. I've generally kept my weight around 175 at peak fitness.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    Not sure of your situation, but maybe you can talk him out of it due to the monetary factor. IT IS EXPENSIVE. When we had a juicer it took $15-30 of produce to make 3 or 4 cups (real cups, not drinking glasses)