"Lifting Heavy". What does that really mean for women?

Options

Replies

• chele1028
    chele1028 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy means the same thing for women as it does for men, no difference, weight is weight.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Excellent thread! I am a home exerciser, and at present struggle with 24 pound squats.

I do tricep kickbacks and skull crushers with 10 pound weights, and at present am sore for days after (I know, but I'm new!).

Once these become easy, it is worth continuing to buy heavier weights? Is it inevitable that I will eventually need to get to a gym to "lift heavy"?
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Excellent thread! I am a home exerciser, and at present struggle with 24 pound squats.

I do tricep kickbacks and skull crushers with 10 pound weights, and at present am sore for days after (I know, but I'm new!).

Once these become easy, it is worth continuing to buy heavier weights? Is it inevitable that I will eventually need to get to a gym to "lift heavy"?

The main thing about an effective lifting program, whether you are doing it to maintain muscle mass while dieting, to gain muscle while at a surplus/recomping, or to gain strength is to continually challenge and stimulate your muscles. You need to progressively load to do that (up the reps, within a reasonable rep range and/or the weights). You do not have to do this at a gym as there are some good body weight programs, but doing it with free weights, or a combination of free weights, machines and body weight, is the most effective/efficient way - it just allows for easier progression.
  • kaliedoskope
    kaliedoskope Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I mostly use the machines in my gym...Assisted Pulls ups and chin ups, Lat Pull, Flys, rear delts, low row, Overhead press, Leg Press, Chest press, etc....So these count too, right? Though I have been stuck at certain weights for awhile however when I feel that I can go up in weight I will. I always try to do 12 reps 3 times for each piece of equipment.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    The weights I lift are in the range of 5-30 kg (11-66 pounds), and that's with kettlebells or those light barbells they use for bodypump classes, NOT with an Olympic barbell. I don't consider what I do as "lifting heavy," but I am working to the best of my ability and have been increasing my weights over time. I had a hard time with 4 kg kettlebells when I first started, so I've really made a lot of progress even though I'm still not very strong compared with other people.
  • 0nehappyheart
    Options
    Bump
  • SlinkyAndHerAmazingBunsOfSteel
    Options
    Bump for later :smile:
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Great information in this tread.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    excellent info. bump to read later
  • unbreakablemoth
    Options
    Bump to follow :)
  • joycloete
    Options
    The weights I lift are in the range of 5-30 kg (11-66 pounds), and that's with kettlebells or those light barbells they use for bodypump classes, NOT with an Olympic barbell. I don't consider what I do as "lifting heavy," but I am working to the best of my ability and have been increasing my weights over time. I had a hard time with 4 kg kettlebells when I first started, so I've really made a lot of progress even though I'm still not very strong compared with other people.

Do you find the weights you use heavy? If so, then you are heavy lifting.
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I've been intrigued by "lifting heavy" but have no idea what kind of weight to start with, and the term definitely sounds more intimidating than starting with the bar and adding weight to it over time. It'd be helpful to hear what women started with for different lifts. I haven't done bench press or deadlift or that kind of thing since highschool so I have no clue where to start without hurting myself. I'll also feel more confident going to the weight area at the gym if I know what weight to grab.

i agree. i'd like to hear from some of the women here on exactly what their progression has been. in short, to simply answer these questions:

1) starting bench press? current bench press? how long have you been doing bench presses?
    2) starting squat? current squat? how long have you been doing squats?
    3) starting dead lift? current dead lift? how long have you been doing dead lifts?
    4) starting overhead press (OHP)? current OHP? how long have you been doing OHPs?
    1) started at 65lbs. Currently 120lbs for 6reps. (a yr)
    2) back squat 165lbs. First time a couple weeks ago at crossfit. 2rep max
    3) start trap dead lift 100. Current 190.. Straight bar 80lbs current 185lbs (a yr)
    4) OHP 45lbs 3months ago. Current 95lbs 2rep max.
  • suemin68
    suemin68 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bumping for later
  • zombi
    zombi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    making sure I can find this later!
  • Onderwoman
    Options
    Is squatting more than your bodyweight a good measure of lifting heavy?
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Is squatting more than your bodyweight a good measure of lifting heavy?

Remeber lifting heavy isn't about the weight- it's about the reps.

If you can rep 10 reps of your body weight squat- then no- it's not lifting heavy. It's a warm up at that point :D

But for me- my squat is rubbish- my one rep max is hovering just above my body weight- so for me that's heavy. It isn't about the weight. It's about the rep range.

But being capable of doing a full body weight or 1.5*bw squat is definitely respectable.
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    Options
    For me, "heavy" is any weight i can only successfully lift for 3-4 reps. If i can reach 5 reps, it's time to add weight.