Things You Had to Deal W/ As The Only Black Kid

Options
123457»

Replies

• bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    true embarassing story.

i had a great friend in school, she was my bestie, this is like 2nd grade, and we were super tight!
    until my dad met her one day at school, and i was told she couldnt be my friend, because she was black ..
    i was all of 6 years old... thanks dad...

oh, yeah and as an adult and a human resources manager, i will be damned if i allow that kind of crap around me ..
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Stereotyping is fun!

I am of Irish* descent.

Only one of the following is true for me:

1. small pen!s
    2. like to drink
    3. bad temper

*I consider myself American.

If this thread is still around later, I'll do some reading, but for now, I am off to drink.

I'm Irish, two of these things apply to me.

I'm a girl, and I'm Canadian - so I am exceedingly polite and apologetic
  • momtobe06
    momtobe06 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I dealt with so many race issues as the only white kid from sixth grade on up.. I went to school in the 1970's- 1980's and had the pleasure of living out my school career with the Desegregation busing system in which they decided to pluck me out of the school right across the street from my house and ship me an hour a way into the ghetto, so now I was the only white kid in a class of black kids. I was bused from integrated schools to a less integrated school because many parents pulled their kids out of the cleveland public schools and put them in private schools... so the plan backfired. I was picked on, called names, had someone try to catch my hair on fire, bricks thrown at me while on the bus, breaking the bus windows.... the stereotype I dealt with is that every white kid must be a hill billy and that I supported slavery... guilty by association because of my ancestors.

racism works both ways people... treat people how you want to be treated
  • kvonjohn
    kvonjohn Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well I wasn't a kid when this happened but here goes...

I was a Korean Linguist in the Army. I happened to be the only black female in my company and my best friend was the only black female in her company (she was a Korean linguist also). One day while we were stationed in Korea we were on the bus back to our base after a shopping trip. This was a military bus that shuttled service members between bases. Well this lady sitting across from us says loudly, "Does anyone speak Korean? I left my phone somewhere and a Korean guy has it and I can't understand what he's saying!" My friend and I look at each other and she turns to the lady, holds out her hand and says, "Yes, I speak Korean. I'll talk to him for you." The lady then looks at my friend as if she just sprouted a horn and jerks the phone away from her. My friend says, "No, really I speak Korean." So my friend takes the phone and begins speaking to the guy in Korean. The lady's jaw drops.
    After the conversation was over and my friend resolved the situation, the lady looks at us and says, "I didn't think you actually spoke Korean! When you said you did, I thought oh no sister Shaka Zulu didn't say she could speak Korean! But I'm married to a black guy."

stewie-say-what-o.gif
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I dealt with so many race issues as the only white kid from sixth grade on up.. I went to school in the 1970's- 1980's and had the pleasure of living out my school career with the Desegregation busing system in which they decided to pluck me out of the school right across the street from my house and ship me an hour a way into the ghetto, so now I was the only white kid in a class of black kids. I was bused from integrated schools to a less integrated school because many parents pulled their kids out of the cleveland public schools and put them in private schools... so the plan backfired. I was picked on, called names, had someone try to catch my hair on fire, bricks thrown at me while on the bus, breaking the bus windows.... the stereotype I dealt with is that every white kid must be a hill billy and that I supported slavery... guilty by association because of my ancestors.

racism works both ways people... treat people how you want to be treated

You from Boston?
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    My mom sent me to the African American Academy here in WA for summer school.
    That's actually the name. I'm not being a jerk.

I got called snow flake/snow white/cream puff, kicked down the stairs, beat up, and people would say things like "Thanks for enslaving my ancestors!" as I walked through the halls.

I've never told anyone this because I was too embarrassed ._.
    but u most likely did enslave there ansisters

I doubt that the OP, personally, enslaved their "ansisters."

"Ansisters" as opposed to "anbrothers." lmao
    both of u can kick rockz

I'm going to go with "no."