artificially sweetened soda gives you diabetes

Options
SirBonerFart
SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
to quote from the study
Both SSB(sugar-sweetened beverages) consumption and ASB(artificially sweetened beverages) consumption were associated with increased T2D(type 2 diabetes) risk.

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2013/01/30/ajcn.112.050997

Maybe this will finally stop all you saboteurs who try to push diet soda on us

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I am tempted to take you on.
    But you seem familiar . . . so
    post-19429-Ill-allow-it-Senor-Chang-commu-UYei.gif
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    "Conclusions: Both SSB consumption and ASB consumption were associated with increased T2D risk. We cannot rule out that factors other than ASB consumption that we did not control for are responsible for the association with diabetes, and randomized trials are required to prove a causal link between ASB consumption and T2D."

The conclusions section leaves the door wide open to other possibilities.

Additional information would be needed such as what percentage of diet soda drinkers eat a well balanced diet.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    To complete your quote:
    ...We cannot rule out that factors other than ASB consumption that we did not control for are responsible for the association with diabetes, and randomized trials are required to prove a causal link between ASB consumption and T2D.

Someone tried to push diet soda on you????
  • TX_Aggie_Dad
    TX_Aggie_Dad Posts: 173
    Options
    33774394.jpg
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I will not drink any soda (diet or otherwise) even if there is no link to any Diabetes type (I or II).

That chemical stuff is bad for my body, my health and my wallet.

To each its own
  • MattN1972
    MattN1972 Posts: 117
    Options
    Hey, I'll give you the first diet soda for free. Just come back to me when you need your next one.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    ...In individuals who drink more than a liter a day, which probably means they're not living a healthy lifestyle.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I've seen more reliable experiments conducted at a children's science fair.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Doy! Of course it's associated with T2D, because when people get T2D the first thing they do is cut out sources of sugar, so they switch to diet soda.

There is no reason to assume A causes B instead of B causes A. It's just as valid to assert that diabetes causes diet soda consumption.
  • SirBonerFart
    SirBonerFart Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see you guys can joke around about this stuff but diabetes is very serious problem in America
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Men over 200 lbs are more likely to be capable of benching over 300 lbs.

Results in the most recent American journal of exercise physiology...
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    4f10560c0ea93.png
  • MsJulielicious
    MsJulielicious Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lzrr2g5nI51r2jdrto1_400.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm soooo excited to get the diabeeetus.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Associated, not causal. BIG difference. People who drink diet sodas are probably already overweight (known risk factor for diabetes) and also may have a family history.

I need to leave now, I just hate it when someone makes a statement like the OP and expects us all to be sheep and just blindly believe it.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see you guys can joke around about this stuff but diabetes is very serious problem in America

I said I'll allow it.
  • barrattandrew
    barrattandrew Posts: 148
    Options
    I will not drink any soda (diet or otherwise) even if there is no link to any Diabetes type (I or II).

That chemical stuff is bad for my body, my health and my wallet.

To each its own

"That chemical stuff" -- WTF? Do you ignore that chemical stuff H2O? or N2O2ArCO2NeHeCH4KrH2Xe
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

So run for office on a soda ban platform. DO IT!
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Damn artificially sweetened soda! Damn it straight to hell! I wasted my whole youth spending time with it and getting to know it. Telling it all my dreams and secrets. What did it give me? Nothing. Not. One. Damned. Thing.

Now I find out it's giving things to other people. Did they put in the time that I did? I doubt it. I seriously doubt it.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options

h809232DC