Lawsuit against I can't believe it's not butter!! Eeek

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I agree, this is just as bad as McDonald's being sued for hot coffee. Well no *kitten* buttercup, you expected ice cream?

Sums this up PERFECTLY!

I think the lawsuit should be for selling a bottle of chemicals that have no nutritional value what-so-ever, & trying to say it's better for you than butter.

That one has been tried. And dismissed.
    http://product-liability.weil.com/class-action-law-suits/you-can-believe-its-not-butter/

"the court concludes that the illogical relationships plaintiff draws between the nature of partially hydrogenated oil and the representations defendant makes about the blend of oils renders plaintiff’s complaint implausible on its face.” The lawsuit therefore was dismissed."
  • CharlesLadd
    CharlesLadd Posts: 39
    Options
    I am not sure what you really expected. Oils and fats contain twice the calories of carbohydrates and proteins. As far as I know, only pure water (and maybe sodium chloride) is calorie free. Diet coke is basically carbonated (aerated with carbon dioxide) dirty water, with the dirt being mostly artificial chemicals. Yuck. I think it is better to eat real food in moderation, drink a lot of water, and stop looking for the magic foods, like low-cal fats, low-cal potato chips, etc. Personally, I would rather eat a little butter (for the flavor), and make up for it with a bit more of the high-fiber vegetables.
  • Katina3333
    Katina3333 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    look i know it takes common sense to understand that but its sad that the way of life is that chemical based crap is cheaper than homemade n healthy stuff more expense and there are alot of people who are on a fixed budget like myself who need to eat healthier because of life n death situation but cant cuz well we have bills too n we only get so much a month so... thats y so many people buy junk and then there are the people who think that the government would not let us consume things that are harmful which isnt the case... i dunno i watch what i eat so i dont use that crap anyways besides its only 3 or 5 molecules from becoming plastic anyways.... so thanks but no thanks

Kind of off subject but I haven't found it cheaper to eat healthier... maybe I'm doing it wrong according to some people (but at least I'm doing it! lol). For example: I buy sandwich thins, I believe its 8 to a pack which cost about $3 whereas a loaf of white bread is .99 cents! My cracker chips that I love are about $3.50, yet you can buy a generic bag of greasy chips for a buck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I agree, this is just as bad as McDonald's being sued for hot coffee. Well no *kitten* buttercup, you expected ice cream?

Sums this up PERFECTLY!

I think the lawsuit should be for selling a bottle of chemicals that have no nutritional value what-so-ever, & trying to say it's better for you than butter.

Do they actually say that?

by touting its zero-calorie-ness, yes.

That's reaching just a tad don't you think?

ETA: I think you made that word up..but I like it.
  • CharlesLadd
    CharlesLadd Posts: 39
    Options
    I have lost 65 pounds in a year and I have not gone to eating low fat foods. I don't believe in diet foods. I feel that the key to any long term weight loss program is portion control and regular exercise. This is one of the reasons I use myFitnesspal. I eat regular foods watching my calories and other nutritional information. I use regular butter (just less of it) and I eat foods with fat. I try to stay away from sugar. If I want a steak, i eat it. I put butter on my veggies and I eat a lot of nuts but I stay within my calorie count. I found that after a year, I have increased my activity and at times the issue is to eat enough food to cover my caloric output.

BINGO! It's "portion control and regular exercise." Give that person a cigar!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    http://www.icantbelieveitsnotbutter.com/product/detail/129811/i-can-t-believe-it-s-not-butter-original-butter-spray

"I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® Spray contains 0g fat and 0 calories per 5 sprays."

How many sprays do you need and what would you use it for?

Agreed. I use an average of 5 sprays at a meal. And I only use the product maybe twice a week tops. So I am not worried. :)
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Oh no, 3 calories!
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just smear butter all over everything so it slides down my gullet with ease
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    We don't seem to have this in the UK - sprays tend to advertise as 2 cals or whatever.
    Why do people eat crap like this?

Go real food.
    Because it's lower in calories.

Why is it less 'real'?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    We don't seem to have this in the UK - sprays tend to advertise as 2 cals or whatever.
    Why do people eat crap like this?

Go real food.
    Because it's lower in calories.

Why is it less 'real'?

Because it has more than two ingredients ( or some arbitrary number) is the answer you're gonna' get.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    wow thats pretty bad. Its kind of similar to a spray I use that says 0 calories but you know its not really... lol. Instead of lying to everyone, they should make the portion size bigger, at least to make it say, 5 or 10 calories worth of a spray.

But then they wouldn't make money fooling people into thinking that a spray for butter is zero calories. My friend and I were discussing it- they make more money off of people buying it because it is zero calories than they lose in their lawsuits.
  • triathlete5301
    triathlete5301 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what you really expected. Oils and fats contain twice the calories of carbohydrates and proteins. As far as I know, only pure water (and maybe sodium chloride) is calorie free. Diet coke is basically carbonated (aerated with carbon dioxide) dirty water, with the dirt being mostly artificial chemicals. Yuck. I think it is better to eat real food in moderation, drink a lot of water, and stop looking for the magic foods, like low-cal fats, low-cal potato chips, etc. Personally, I would rather eat a little butter (for the flavor), and make up for it with a bit more of the high-fiber vegetables.

^^ :love: So true!
  • bdkglk
    bdkglk Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!! I had not heard either. I guess I will count out a few sprays now. LOL. I only have a little bit left. I will never buy this again.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    It's this really a thread about a cooking item that's less than 5 calories? Really? REALLY?!?!

That's what I was thinking.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    It's this really a thread about a cooking item that's less than 5 calories? Really? REALLY?!?!

It's about a product that contains hundreds of calories but says a portion has 0 calories. Basically that's could infer that after consuming this product 1 portion at a time one might not have added any caloric value to their diet, but in actuality, 700 calories were added. It's kinda fked up, but it's the perfect product in North America were people and the diet industry have a symbiotic relationship in where the diet industry takes money out of your pocket and a few brains cells as well and where the user can feel euphoric consuming their 0 calorie fat...lol, just kidding.
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Yup LMAO

Posted to make sure others were aware - as I use it a lot, not naive enough to think the whole bottle is 0 calories however some people use it religiously and if a bottle of something has 700- 1000 calories when one thinks it is 0...they use a bottle a week - this could be a potential problem in their diet if they do not know / realize it.
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and thought it was the most disgusting thing ever! I'll stick with real butter, thank you very much.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Here is the break down
    12.5 sprays has 10 calories and 1 gram of fat,
    25 sprays (1 teaspoon) has 20 calories and 2 grams of fat
    37.5 sprays has 30 calories and 3 grams of fat.

If that's the actual breakdown then I'm going back to sleep... it's not worth being conscious for.
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Really?

No plastic tasting sh1t for me...I prefer real butter.

Agreed! ^ I always call it "I Can Totally Believe it's Not Butter!"
    Real butter, ghee, coconut oil, avocado oil, or olive oil for me. :)
  • sweatybettyboop
    sweatybettyboop Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good thing I don't use a whole bottle at a time :wink:

My dog stands there and looks at my while I am using it...he will actually walk over to me and wimper to have a spray or two. He loves it. My other 2 dogs are afraid of the bottle. :laugh: