Sick and Tired of feeling Hungry

Options

Replies

• pmteet
    pmteet Posts: 69
    Options
    If they are over weight they are not eating healthy. I know vegans who eat an entire package of Oreos. That is NOT healthy. I am really not going to play your game. You know I am right. You WILL NOT get fat eating only HEALTHY unadulterated fruits and veggies. Yes there are apples in apple pies. But THEY are not healthy. Seriously? No wonder there are so many overweight people in the world if the really believe that calories from chips and calories from apples are the same. If you watch thin people. Not naturally thn but people who just eat what a healthy amount of food is you will see they eat more fruits and veggies than meat. That they do not eat junk, even vegan junk.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options

A calorie is a calorie.

400 calories from apples, or Twinkies, it's 400 calories.

Truth.

Just like 500 lbs. of feathers weighs exactly the same as 500 lbs. of bricks

I will say, however, that you will most likely end up feeling full after eating 4-5 large Granny Smith apples in order to get those 400 calories whereas you would likely not be anywhere near feeling satiated after eating the 2-1/2 Twinkies needed to get those 400 calories.

That is where the difference lies. It is in that fact that calorie for calorie you would need to consume vastly more volume in healthy food items to get the same calorie tally from a relatively modest amount of junk food.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    The best diet advice I ever got was on this site, from a poster who said to eat more protein and complex food, like whole seeds. Not that seeds are that complex, but they are complex for the body to break down. They sit in your system longer. I have discovered that protein is a form of energy, though longer to realize than sugar. It is also much slower to release the energy than sugar. Sugar and carbs are good in limited amounts. but protein will leave you feeling fuller longer. The only warning I have is that protein leads to exercise, and you know how bad that is for you. :laugh:
  • acogg
    Options
    A pound of sugar has the same amount of calories as a pound of celery? Now I have seen everything! :noway:
  • AnnaMarieDinVa
    AnnaMarieDinVa Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Me, too!! I am not losing weight because (for the most part) I have overeaten healthy foods. I love veggies. :) And beans and tofu. :)
    Maybe if you open you diary people can give better insight.

I always feel so guilty. I like healthy food and veggies. I just eat too much of them. I go way over my calories.... :-/

Empty calorie (unhealthy) food makes you hungry.....
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary for ideas, I eat healthy and feel satisfied when I am done eating. I'm certainly not hungry all the time since I eat 5-6 times a day it's like I am always eating.
  • lisahewitt22
    lisahewitt22 Posts: 102
    Options
    When I'm feeling really hungry but it's not time to eat I drink a cup of water or two and it makes me feel way fuller.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I will be honest I'm a horrible eater X_x I do however enjoy salads by some unknown reason I'm done eating today but I'll try larger salad tomorrow. Pmteet you could be right this could just be a craving more than hunger pain. So I guess the question is how do I kill the craving to eat. I been keeping up with the water intake thus far yay but not nearly enough veggies because I do not like how they taste X_x I sound like a little kid.

You are probably eating too much sugar and junk food--both will work against any kind of satiety. You could try a lower carb program. If you keep your carbs between 50 to 100 grams per day (and if you exclude sugar and junk food, it is not hard to do) you will not be hungry and you will lose a lot of weight. You will need to up your intake of good fats and protein if you are going to lower your carbs--which help you to not be hungry. Send me a friend request and you could see what I eat---I am never hungry (and I only eat around 1400 calories most days). Good luck.
  • acogg
    Options
    Potato chips fried in canola and sprinkled with salt are vegan. I think we have some seriously underfed people on this thread who are trying to pick fights because they are feeling cranky. Eat healthy and be happy.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    If they are over weight they are not eating healthy. I know vegans who eat an entire package of Oreos. That is NOT healthy. I am really not going to play your game. You know I am right. You WILL NOT get fat eating only HEALTHY unadulterated fruits and veggies. Yes there are apples in apple pies. But THEY are not healthy. Seriously? No wonder there are so many overweight people in the world if the really believe that calories from chips and calories from apples are the same. If you watch thin people. Not naturally thn but people who just eat what a healthy amount of food is you will see they eat more fruits and veggies than meat. That they do not eat junk, even vegan junk.

Um, seriously? What is magically in"healthy" food that somehow makes their calories not count? This line of thinking IS why people are overweight.

I challenge you to eat 3,000 calories a day of fruits, veggies and lean proteins for a week and see what happens. Then go ahead and eat 1,400 of calories a day of oreos for a week.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

Have you read the link i posted?? The professor who ate nothing but junk food improved his health indicators, such as blood pressure, risk for diabeties, cholestrol levels, triglycerides just by eating junk food. How is this possible?

Because being over weight is the biggest health risk. Lose weight and you will get healthier, eating fruits or Twinkies, doesn't matter. The risk is being "over weight."

As I said i lost a lot of my weight eating junk food.

This is simply not true for the long haul. Yes, losing weight is important but how you lose weight and what you eat while losing weight is important as well. There are many micro-nutrients that are missing in junk food (that's why they call it junk food). There are phyto-nutrients which fight cancer and CVD that will be missing. I have lost a number of friends to cancer and CVD way too early and what I have noticed is the strong inclination that they all had to eating junk food. Those who eat whole nourishing foods not only seem to be avoiding the "big two" but they generally have more energy and resistance to viruses, in addition to looking younger.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Eat more vegetables. Add some protein. Maybe something with carbs. Stir fry is great for this. Fry up half a green pepper, an onion, some garlic, broccoli or spinach. Add some spices whatever you like. Throw in some tofu, chicken, or even chopped boiled egg. Add some cooked brown rice just enough to meet your calorie goal.

Typically when I make something like this my calories for the meal comes to about 600 or so and it is very filling.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Have you read the link i posted?? The professor who ate nothing but junk food improved his health indicators, such as blood pressure, risk for diabeties, cholestrol levels, triglycerides just by eating junk food. How is this possible?

Because being over weight is the biggest health risk. Lose weight and you will get healthier, eating fruits or Twinkies, doesn't matter. The risk is being "over weight."

This is simply not true for the long haul. Yes, losing weight is important but how you lose weight and what you eat while losing weight is important as well. There are many micro-nutrients that are missing in junk food (that's why they call it junk food). There are phyto-nutrients which fight cancer and CVD that will be missing. I have lost a number of friends to cancer and CVD way too early and what I have noticed is the strong inclination that they all had to eating junk food. Those who eat whole nourishing foods not only seem to be avoiding the "big two" but they generally have more energy and resistance to viruses, in addition to looking younger.

Multivitamin.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Nobody is saying 'Don't eat healthy' or ' it's better to lose weight eating junk' We're simply saying to LOSE WEIGHT you do not HAVE to eat healthy food. A calorie IS a calorie when it comes to losing weight. However YES you will probably feel better in the long haul if you try to make some healthier choices (and will stay on your plan longer if you still work in your fave foods)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Multivitamin.

you ever read the ingredients of lucky charms? It has a ton of vitamins and minerals ha.

Lucky_Charms_nutrition+facts.jpg

Eat 10 servings you'll get most of those vitamins, carbs, fats, fiber and fill the rest of your day with some protein. You're all good to go.

And risk aging faster? NEVER.

Besides, who doesn't want to trick themselves into thinking that healthy weight folks eat whatever they want, so long as it doesn't come in a package to avoid the realization that losing weight and maintaining weight loss actually means that you have to consider ALL calories day after day, forever -- without giving up or convincing yourself with anti-science that there is a point in which you will be eating so healthy the amount of calories just won't matter.
  • symkat
    symkat Posts: 70
    Options
    If you are just wanting more food because that's what your body is used to but you are not physicaly hungry there are tricks you can try. I used to be an emotional eater. I ate because of boredom, sadness, anxiety, you name it. everything but actual physical hunger lol. when I want to eat because I'm bored or upset or something I try chewing sugar free gum or eating crushed Ice. if I am craving sweets ( my biggest problem area is my cravings for sweets) I make ice cubes out of sugar free drink mix and then crush the ice and munch on it. after you've been eating less for a while it should get easier.
  • Fairlieboy
    Fairlieboy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of myths about calories. The "common sense" to weight loss was eat less and move more.
    However, there is pretty good understanding now of the biochemistry and endocrinology about what is really complex. And the more research, the more complex it becomes.
    There are some principles.
    1. Eat more protein. The body responds by feeling full.
    2. Eat more greens / plant food to fill up, Drink water as people have said - hunger can be reduced by water / black tea.
    3. Eat food. Not food products.
    4. Cut out added sugar. 13% of American diets are added sugar (this is not sugar in fruit and milk.) It is added by manufacturers.
    Fructose (cane sugar, honey, agave, High Fructose Corn Syrup) is really vicious. When you have it you do not have any feedback loop for hunger. Eat 2 chocolate bars and you don't get any feedback loop, AND you put it into fat. (The liver process is different to other food). And 1 can of softdrink per day equivalent increases diabetes by 22%! But eat 4 apples and you are full and stop eating. Chocolate - you want another; and another. Fructose happens to be more addictive than cocaine!

If you do your own research and read some books such as David Gillespie Sweet Poison or Big Fat Lies, it may give you some pointers.
    Stay with it - being healthy is a great alternative to chronic illness!
  • YourLotusFlower11
    YourLotusFlower11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Ok now I am going to say this and I might get slammed. I am coming from a place were until the past few years I never had a problem with my weight but most of my family has...including my hubby. My observation is this idea of feeling FULL instead of just not hungry. I have seen my mother only feeling satisfied after she was stuffed. I think people have to get use to feeling not hungry instead of full. Does that make sense. I know it may seem like I am splitting hairs but there is a difference.

IF you are eating really healthy food you will be more full because your body is getting the nutrition it needs and not just calories it does help.

Michelle

Omg this is so true. When I started using MFP I realised I was always eating to the point where I was feeling stuffed. Now I eat until I feel full and I feel satisfied. It took me about 10 days to get used to listen to my body and my tummy and break the habit of overeating. I also make sure I eat food that keep me full for longer complex carbs and protein. I never feel like I gonna faint if I don't eat when a meal time is approaching anymore. Keep it up u will get thru it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

This is just not true.

You can and will gain weight if you eat over your TDEE of fruits and vegetables. Don't fool yourself into thinking that you won't. I dare you to eat 3000 calories of carrots and apples everyday, and see what you weigh 2 weeks from now. You will weigh more.

You do not need to eat "clean" to lose weight. Have you ever heard of the Twinkie Diet? You might want to google how that professor lost weight eating nothing but pure sugary fatty junk food.

And perhaps I should introduce you to my overweight cousin Tracy who eats a vegetarian diet...not said Oreos and other junk foods you mentioned...but simply non meat and non dairy "clean" foods. She eats more than she should and exercises less than she should. Calories in are greater than calories out, and she wants to lose weight...
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    More protein and water is my trick.

^^ this