The dumbest diet you ever tried?

Options

Replies

• LokomotivMordor
    LokomotivMordor Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Full Irish breakfast every morning and about 12 pints a day for 2 weeks = 4kg gain
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Atkins was the only other one I tried. Didn't work for me. But worked great for my dad. He lost 60 lbs on it.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Some cave man diet I found online. You ate fruit, nuts and drank water all day. Then for dinner you could have whatever you want.

Then I tried the fat flush. I actually felt great on that health wise, but after a week I went in on a cheesesteak.

Everything I have tried in the past has caused me to have cravings and binge.
  • itsHealthy
    itsHealthy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    General Motors diet...7 days- first day fruits, second day veggies, etc...looked great at the end of the week and put it all back on the following week! :o
  • caracourtney83
    caracourtney83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Medifast Diet. I know it works for some but it gave me horrible gastric problems, which resulted in needing my gall bladder removed. The food, save for a few items, tasted horrible. I did lose 80+ pounds on it but quit before I could do the "maintenance phase" and never learned how to properly eat. I started carb binging because that's all my body craved. So that + my slower metabolism I gained everything back and then some. Thanks to MFP I'm now doing it the slow and steady way. Calories in/calories out.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Medifast Diet. I know it works for some but it gave me horrible gastric problems, which resulted in needing my gall bladder removed. The food, save for a few items, tasted horrible. I did lose 80+ pounds on it but quit before I could do the "maintenance phase" and never learned how to properly eat. I started carb binging because that's all my body craved. So that + my slower metabolism I gained everything back and then some. Thanks to MFP I'm now doing it the slow and steady way. Calories in/calories out.

You think the gall badder problems were directly related to the diet? I believe that. It is scary.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I find it amusing how people say they lost weight on a vegetarian diet. I have been vegetarian for 20 years and slowly gained weight. It's nothing to do with not having meat, I assume the meat they were previously eating was not replaced with anything therefore resulting in a drastic lowering of calorie consumption.

My sister actually got to the heaviest she had ever been in her life as a vegetarian. The thing is that she was able, as a vegetarian, to eat lots of pasta, lots of more calorie-dense and highly carb-y vegetables such as corn and potatoes and so on. She was NOT subsisting on junk food, BTW. She carefully planned every single meal (was and is an excellent cook), got plenty of the vegetable rainbow in there, combined her proteins and so on.

But when people think "vegetarian" (well...when people who aren't vegetarian think that), they often envision a person sitting down to a big breakfast plate of oranges and celery stalks. Just ain't so. You can eat lots of pasta. You can eat lots of rice. You can eat lots of potatoes. Even balancing to make sure you're getting in your macros and micros, you can sure as heck eat your way to overweight even if you eat no animal products of any kind (even my niece, a vegan, has to fight the battle of the bulge).

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I find it amusing how people say they lost weight on a vegetarian diet. I have been vegetarian for 20 years and slowly gained weight. It's nothing to do with not having meat, I assume the meat they were previously eating was not replaced with anything therefore resulting in a drastic lowering of calorie consumption.

Yeah - similar here. I'm not a vegetarian, but don't eat much meat and I ate vitrually none when I was at uni. I'd get naan breads wrapped around chips, salad and onion bhajees on the way home from the pub several times a week.. No meat, but I still got a fat *kitten*. And there's the faithful pint of wine. No animals were harmed in this destruction of my liver.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    tsikkz wrote: »
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »
    I did this really stupid Cheerios diet. I had Cheerios for breakfast and lunch (dry cereal, no milk), then ate a small dinner. I lasted about a week, then went to McDonald's.

I might actually be okay with this one. I *kitten* love cheerios
    I was thinking the same thing! I would LOVE to eat Cheerios twice a day!
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school my friend and I decided it would be good to start an all cereal diet, lol. We would eat nothing but cereal...and I am talking cereals like Lucky Charms. In hindsight, I realize this was a bad idea for several reasons, lol.
  • TropicalParaMonster
    Options
    the "military" diet! All came back plus some... :s
  • JLCrunch
    JLCrunch Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    • Alli
    • Doctor prescribed Fastin (appetite suppressant) and strict 1200 calorie diet **I did lose 60 lbs over a few month span through continued diet and exercise (duh) but regained most of it over the course of a year after a bad car accident set me back
    • Doctor prescribed Fastin and strict low carb diet. Not sustainable. I like carbs too much
    • My mom was heavy on the low fat diet which she forced me into when I was a teen
    • Slim Fast
    • Protein supplemental shakes in place of breakfast
    • 1000 calories a day diet which morphed into a 500 calorie a day diet
    • The Master Cleanse
    I'm sure there are plenty more that I'm forgetting.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    my wife went on a '3 bananas a day' diet... sounds awful.. I tried atkins, great at first, steak and bacon every day! after a week I was laid up in bed for two day with zero energy.. felt so bad... Getting it right now thanks to MFP! :-)
  • caracourtney83
    caracourtney83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »

You think the gall badder problems were directly related to the diet? I believe that. It is scary.

Yes I do believe it. I've never had issues until a couple months of being on Medifast. All the soy they use in their products wasn't good for me I don't think.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Way back when I was a junior in high school (1974) I tried the pregnant horse urine diet. Of course, it wasn't called that, lol. It is what is now called the HGC diet. I took injections and kept to a 500 calories per day diet. Yes, I lost weight. Probably about 25 pounds over two months. Soon as I stopped I regained the weight. Now I know it was the very low daily calorie intake that made me lose weight. Funny thing...back then I weighed about 175 pound and thought I was HUGE.
  • sparkly75
    sparkly75 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I did the Cambridge Diet 3 times!!
    3 shakes a day for 3 months - I lost 3 stone - a stone per month ( 14 lbs ) then surprise surprise gained it all back again plus some every time!
    How I survived on 3 shakes a day I have no idea - I had a very active job on my feet and worked 12 hour shifts most days!
    It's taken me all these years to realise there is no quick fix!
    What an idiot!
    I can safely say I will never "diet" again - I lost 18lbs without putting much effort in at all.
    I can't remember where I heard it but my new motto is " never eat anything your Grandmother wouldn't recognise"

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school I decided that I could survive on 1 apple and 1 glass of orange juice a day. After 4 days I ended up passing out in the photgraphy lab and spent the next 3 weeks convincing my guidance counselor that I wasn't on drugs.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    When I was in high school I decided that I could survive on 1 apple and 1 glass of orange juice a day. After 4 days I ended up passing out in the photgraphy lab and spent the next 3 weeks convincing my guidance counselor that I wasn't on drugs.

Oh, this made me think of something! In high school, we would all do no breakfast, and then french fries for lunch. The french fries were $0.50 and they were about the size of a size-small fry today at McD's or Burger King (gigantic portions weren't all the rage yet in the 80s). So I would estimate maybe 250, 275 calories. That was our official "diet." Then a small dinner at home. We fainted and lost a lot of hair, but we were thin.

• EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    the oatmeal diet, all I had was two bowls of plain oatmeal with water per day for a week...nearly passed out in the gym
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Water fasting for a whole week when I was a teen. It landed me in the hospital..