The dumbest diet you ever tried?

Options

Replies

• thatswhatshesaiddd
    Options
    One time, I went on a diet my mom saw online where you eat 100 calories every hour. You do it for 12 hours....no substantial meals. Man, things got creative.

Also tried vegan/gluten free/sugar free/low carb all at the same time. Yeeeep. I'm super smart.

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I did this really stupid Cheerios diet. I had Cheerios for breakfast and lunch (dry cereal, no milk), then ate a small dinner. I lasted about a week, then went to McDonald's.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Gosh, I've done so many of these mentioned in the above posts including Cabbage soup diet, Army diet, 48 hour Hollywood diet, Garcinia Cambogia, Hoodia, Hydroxycut, Body by Vi shakes and probably more I can't remember but the WORST thing I did was have a doctor prescribe me Phenteramine and Bontril at the same time. I dropped 43 lbs in 2 months and was speeding 24/7. I gained all of that back + 13 lbs.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I've tried a bunch. hcg was the most ridiculous although I lost about 15lbs in 20 days. That first week was torture. I remember calling my mother on the phone and crying because I was so hungry and weak I didn't think I could go on. LOL. I also made up my own low fat diet back in the day. Not sure I would call it dumb because it was pretty painless and worked. I refused to eat ANYTHING that had more than 3 grams of fat. But that meant candy and other sweets were just fine. I don't recall how much weight I lost but I know I was able to fit into a really tiny skirt I had for years and never wore. I don't think I even realized it was working until a coworker called me skinny. But that was back when I thought skinny was the thing to be. Now I know LEAN and muscular is all that!!!! Best "diet" isn't a diet at all. It's understanding how my body reacts to macronutrients, time of day, eating real food and maintaining a caloric deficit. In retrospect, it works better than Atkins, hcg, and any other thing I have ever tried. And it's the easiest. I only eat 1200 calories a day but I OCD about ways to maximize the volume and make my meals taste great. It requires advance planning but I am never hungry, tired or craving.
  • StacyPhillipsTSFLcoach
    Options
    The "Cookie" Diet was by far the worst I've tried. Didn't lose a thing and couldn't stick with it long term, cookies or no! I've also done Weight Watchers, tried Nutri-System for, like, a DAY (AWFUL food!) and pretty much everything in between. Finally found something that worked to lose 150 pounds and keep it off!
  • nomoredoughnuts
    nomoredoughnuts Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The Cabbage Diet.

It was all fine and dandy until the last day or so where I had to eat 8 bananas and 4 pints of milk. Turns out I am lactose intolerant and that was the day I found out.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    The Cabbage Diet.

It was all fine and dandy until the last day or so where I had to eat 8 bananas and 4 pints of milk. Turns out I am lactose intolerant and that was the day I found out.

bahahahahahaha!!! Too funny!
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel Posts: 10,891 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Many years ago, I lost 35lb in a short space of time by only eating 500-800 calories a day. (Stupid, but I didn't know any better at the time).Then I started eating again and gained back 45lb in the same amount of time. I've lost the 45lb slowly and surely, after discovering MFP, and have kept it off! :)
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I've never tried a diet. And the ones where you take pills, I'd never try, I don't want my heart weakened or anything. From the start, I've always known in the long run they do not work.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Back in 09 i took Metabolife 365 and lost 80lbs in a 4 months but was suffering major side effects so stopped it. Gained it all back and more.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that so many of you shared your embarrassing moments. Makes me feel better that I could never be "strong" enough to make it through a day or two of these types of restrictive diets.

The "best" I did was about one week at 1200 and less (I think it was 6 days, caved on Sunday). Nope. No way. No, thank you. I just NEED to EAT. All. the. food.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    OMG, I did the ear-staple thing too. How stupid! I really thought it would work, too. Glad I've learned a little since my stupid late teen years.
  • ceilidhachaos
    ceilidhachaos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Dexatrim, a loooong time ago (before they reformulated it). I got very sick on that.

More recently, I tried the cabbage soup diet. I lost some weight, but couldn't stand to do it for more than 3 days. I still think it's a decent kickoff to a more healthy lifestyle, but not something one could live on.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    kaseyr1505 wrote: »
    I did this really stupid Cheerios diet. I had Cheerios for breakfast and lunch (dry cereal, no milk), then ate a small dinner. I lasted about a week, then went to McDonald's.

I might actually be okay with this one. I *kitten* love cheerios

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    A home made 1 that I made for myself when I was a yolo and didn't know what I was doing, but thought I did.... Guestimated how many calories I needed for my body, guestimated my food intake amounts, ate THE SAME boring crap each and every day (yummy, dry chicken breast, grilled), started off @ 71kg, ended off with 91kg... in say, 2 or 3 so months?

That's when I discovered flexible dieting, and praise the lord it's done me wonders. I'm now 80kg again (after I went on a cut to lose 9-10kg) and I'm looking leaner, more healthy, and not like a husky. Love it.
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    wow this is a great thread . . . cracks me up how many crazy things we do to lose weight!!

I did some weird things with food in high school--I tried a vegetarian diet for a week once and probably lost a good amount in that week, but it def wasn't sustainable. When I was going through my "anorexic phase" I tried eating only every other day. Gah I don't know why I ever tortured myself like that. It was awful. I also tried atkins in high school and absolutely hated it. I ate eggs, cheese and meat for one day and felt terrible without the carbs. I could only manage that for one day.

This isn't really a diet, but I had high anxiety when I started college and would rarely eat outside of my dorm. I usually ate giant cups of hot cocoa / powdered cappuccino mixes, carb-rich trail mixes, nutrigrain bars and peanut butter & jelly (until I ventured to the dining hall not far from my dorm). Blegh. I think I nearly made myself get diabetes during that phase and still can't eat too much sugar at once.
  • Snow3y
    Options
    missdibs1 wrote: »
    Drinking apple cider vinegar water and eating magical cabbage soup

I saw this too! Was looking for a short quick cutting remedy, thank goodness I persuaded myself otherwise!

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    When I was a kid, my parents were gung ho about the cabbage soup diet for awhile so we all had to eat it every day. I don't think cabbage soup is bad to eat sometimes but it got old pretty fast. It made the house smell weird too. It didn't really help them lose weight.
    I did that from time to time when I had to make weight for a karate tournament. Was effective when paired with living on an exercise bike and sparring.
  • Snow3y
    Options
    Oh oh oh, and another 1! (I haven't trieid it but it's extremely popular these days)

The tim noakes diet! lol
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options

The tim noakes diet! lol

I love how people dont realize that as soon as you go out of ketosis you pack on the weight and then some in preperation for the next calculated starvation