The dumbest diet you ever tried?

Options

Replies

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    also notable, the standard ECA stack is terrible for anyone who has anxiety issues.

i actually loved nutrisystem, i found some food choices i loved and just rotated them over and over. i lost a good amount of weight and stayed reasonably strong, so i think it was a good weight loss, but it was too expensive for me as a starving student. so, it was back to ramen noodles and kraft dinner and gaining back all the weight.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    The Alice Diet, so named because there's a lot of tea involved. Some lucky days, you can have milk with your tea. Occasionally you even get up to 500 calories of actual food, but usually it's closer to 100-300.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've never been on any fad diets except possibly South Beach. Have been successful at weight loss many times, but always gained some or all of it back. The problem was embracing the word DIET. Never sunk in that it should be a lifestyle change, forever, instead of a diet, that has an endpoint. Keeping up the healthy habits, not reverting back to old habits when goal reached.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    Keto. Absolutely moronic. I lost 90 lbs, and then gained 140 back just as fast.

Thank goodness someone is calling BS on keto. How on earth does someone expect themselves to be healthy and wrap bacon in everything?

Keto isn't the "wrap bacon in everything" diet. If you think that, some rudimentary education on the basic tenants of the approach would be helpful.

The person who lost 90 and gained back 140 did so because they over consumed beyond their TDEE to the tune 140 pounds. It had nothing to do with being on Keto. Most people who lost weight, and then rebounded, weren't on keto.

If you'd like to know how people function long term, check epileptics. Many of them have to stick to a keto diet because the diet is a damn near miracle for symptoms and seizure relief. Others do maintain long term, and are neither miserable nor do they spend their time wrapping bacon in everything.

it works for them because it inhibits brain activity. clue #1 that it is not right for the general public. the human brain does not like ketones very much, it'll use them if glucose is unavailable and you can survive but it is NOT a good long term diet for the general population.

i have epilepsy and i tried keto for a few days.. my cognitive function went way the heck down, i couldn't think my way out of a wet paper bags. my brain likes carbohydrates and anticonvulsants!

Do you realize that after the body becomes adapted to a low carbohydrate intake, and more acclimated to ketosis, many people report improved and sustainable energy? Back in my low carb days, when I first started, I felt the exact same way you did. Until I didn't. The kind of initial reaction is normal and expected, and every approach that deals with low carb intake warns of the transition. A "few days" tells you nothing.

And it "NOT a good long term diet for the general population"? How'd you arrive to that conclusion. What's the criteria for a "good long term diet", especially since macronutrient percentages change sometimes quite radically depending on what food culture you're born into. Who is the "general population"?
  • veronakings
    Options
    abc diet :( so ashamed. my parents did the cabbage soup diet when I was a kid. so gross. :s
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    Keto. Absolutely moronic. I lost 90 lbs, and then gained 140 back just as fast.

Thank goodness someone is calling BS on keto. How on earth does someone expect themselves to be healthy and wrap bacon in everything?

Keto isn't the "wrap bacon in everything" diet. If you think that, some rudimentary education on the basic tenants of the approach would be helpful.

The person who lost 90 and gained back 140 did so because they over consumed beyond their TDEE to the tune 140 pounds. It had nothing to do with being on Keto. Most people who lost weight, and then rebounded, weren't on keto.

If you'd like to know how people function long term, check epileptics. Many of them have to stick to a keto diet because the diet is a damn near miracle for symptoms and seizure relief. Others do maintain long term, and are neither miserable nor do they spend their time wrapping bacon in everything.

it works for them because it inhibits brain activity. clue #1 that it is not right for the general public. the human brain does not like ketones very much, it'll use them if glucose is unavailable and you can survive but it is NOT a good long term diet for the general population.

i have epilepsy and i tried keto for a few days.. my cognitive function went way the heck down, i couldn't think my way out of a wet paper bags. my brain likes carbohydrates and anticonvulsants!

Do you realize that after the body becomes adapted to a low carbohydrate intake, and more acclimated to ketosis, many people report improved and sustainable energy? Back in my low carb days, when I first started, I felt the exact same way you did. Until I didn't. The kind of initial reaction is normal and expected, and every approach that deals with low carb intake warns of the transition. A "few days" tells you nothing.

And it "NOT a good long term diet for the general population"? How'd you arrive to that conclusion. What's the criteria for a "good long term diet", especially since macronutrient percentages change sometimes quite radically depending on what food culture you're born into. Who is the "general population"?

• Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    The Cabbage Soup diet and the 3 Day diet. UGH... :noway:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »
    I've never been on any fad diets except possibly South Beach. Have been successful at weight loss many times, but always gained some or all of it back. The problem was embracing the word DIET. Never sunk in that it should be a lifestyle change, forever, instead of a diet, that has an endpoint. Keeping up the healthy habits, not reverting back to old habits when goal reached.

South beach isn't really fad like, when one considers the principles. In fact, my lifestyle and my diet (which doesn't have an end point) pretty much mirrors phase 3 of South Beach.

The only way it is fad like is that it was popular, much like MFP is popular now.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast. Not even close to real nutrients and so much crap! PLUS, I was hungry within the hour!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Jenny Craig - They told me to eat a large delicious apple every day because it has enough fiber to keep you full. Apples don't have that much fiber no matter how big they are.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Jenny Craig - They told me to eat a large delicious apple every day because it has enough fiber to keep you full. Apples don't have that much fiber no matter how big they are.
    Very common diet advice.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    -Off and on, from 12-14: As many cold spaghettios as I could eat with chopsticks in 3 minutes. No other food. I was painfully underweight.
    -Low fat, through most of the late 90s/turn of the millenium. Kept gaining bc low fat =/= low calorie. Still, I wish I was that "fat."
    -Slim fast. Over and over again, often in conjunction with Dexatrim or green tea extract. Always gained it back right away.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Nutrisystem for about two weeks then I returned the food to Costco (where I had bought the gift card from). My boyfriend and I still refer to it as the cardboard food.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    -Off and on, from 12-14: As many cold spaghettios as I could eat with chopsticks in 3 minutes. No other food. I was painfully underweight.
    -Low fat, through most of the late 90s/turn of the millenium. Kept gaining bc low fat =/= low calorie. Still, I wish I was that "fat."
    -Slim fast. Over and over again, often in conjunction with Dexatrim or green tea extract. Always gained it back right away.

Wow. What did your parents think of the chinese chef boyardee diet? That doesn't sound good.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Atkins, that diet is a heart attack in disguise
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Atkins, that diet is a heart attack in disguise
    Not really. In fact, not at all.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

Wow. What did your parents think of the chinese chef boyardee diet? That doesn't sound good.

Yeah, there were a lot of adults who could have intervened and didn't. 5'6" and under 90 pounds (the scale disappeared so who knows?) I didn't ever stick with it for more than a week, but I had a lot of other weird ideas about food that I alternated with it. That's just the one that kept cropping up.

Oh, and I frequently cut off large swathes of food (even stuff like bread, cheese, eggs, etc), only to feel miserable when I inevitably backslid. And feeling miserable about cheating leads to more cheating. SMH.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Options
    The Cabbage Soup diet and the 3 Day diet. UGH... :noway:

The hungriest I recall ever feeling in my life was on the 3 day diet. Which I did as a teenager. I wanted to gnaw off my own arm.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    SbetaK wrote: »

South beach isn't really fad like, when one considers the principles. In fact, my lifestyle and my diet (which doesn't have an end point) pretty much mirrors phase 3 of South Beach.

The only way it is fad like is that it was popular, much like MFP is popular now.

Yeah, that's why I said "possibly", because it's a fad in it's popularity aspect, but in the third phase it's a basic healthy approach to eating. I felt the first 2 phases to kick start were more of the fad aspect.

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    A few years back, I lost some weight eating any and everything with the words diet, low calorie, or lean. Lean Cuisines and the like are convenient but expensive and painfully boring when I can make something on my own.

At the start of my calorie counting days (pen and paper for a few months, then a stint on fatsecrey), I did a very poorly executed VLC combined with six days of enough exercise to make me feel like crap everyday.