Do you log drinks?

Options

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I just don't understand how some people, without exercise, can still manage to eat below 1200 calories even including drinks and all the other little things.

Those people are very hungry, and most won't be able to sustain that calorie level for long before giving up. They're also more likely to have binges. I've been that person many times and have always given up because the suffering outweighed the benefits. I also quickly gained back whatever I'd lost.

Just by upping my calories a few hundred a day (I generally eat between 1400 and 1600 and don't really exercise) I'm much happier and can see doing this for the next year or more. But I still don't drink my calories - what a waste when I could use those calories to actually chew and swallow something and feel much more satisfied.

Please don' generalize because we are all different. My BMR is 1038 so eating 1200 calories NET (with or without exercise) is not a problem. I am not hungry, I don't binge, and I am a happy person. And I do drink some of my calories sometimes in the form of protein smoothies,if and when needed.

Sorry for getting out of the original posting, so getting back to it. Yes, I do log what I eat and drink, if they have calories, with the exception of gum or supplements.. I am on maintenance for two years already so I can be more flexible and lax.
  • Getit_Simpson
    Getit_Simpson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If it isn't water, I log it. You can drink a lot of calories if you're not careful.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Drinking sugared fruit juices and real sugar soda drinks were one of the number reasons I got fat. So yes, you should either log them, or cut them completely out of your diet.

Honestly, I would rather eat than drink my calories anyways. If you not a fan of plain water like I am, Crystal Lite is a good substitute.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

I just don't understand how some people, without exercise, can still manage to eat below 1200 calories even including drinks and all the other little things.

People are different. For example, many shorter women have lower calorie needs. They can't lose weight if they eat over 1200. Some have to eat less.

Some people are really committed to losing weight in a short period time.
  • neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options

There was a point in time where the only liquid I was consuming was water and green tea. I had to add liquid calories back into my diet to bring up my calories. Despite popular opinion, it is remarkably easy to get full on 1200 calories or less when someone is eating really clean.
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Yes log everything.
    I log things like smoothies or milkshakes but I never know if I should enter things like a glass of orange juice or the milk with my cereal.
  • xvxCelticWandererxvx
    xvxCelticWandererxvx Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    If it goes in my gub, it's logged.
  • navanacnw
    navanacnw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I log everything to a stick of gum, anything I put in my mouth is logged :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    do they have calories? sodium? nutrition? then yes
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    If there are calories involved, yes. I do not log tea (i drink it plain) or seltzer.
  • Dargealing
    Dargealing Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    water has its own special place at the bottom of the food page totals. no calories, but it helps with the dispersion of the fat and fills those empty spots when you think you are hungry but are just grazing in and out of fridge due to boredom or other inactivity things.
    so ladies, drink that water..
  • koshkasmum
    koshkasmum Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    If it has calories, I log it. If it doesn't I don't bother. So.... black coffee, no, coffee with milk or whitener, yes. Water, no. Juice, BIG YES as it can pack a ton of calories. Smoothies - oh yeah - for some people a smoothie is a meal. Crystal light - yes - not many calories, but some. Fresca, no - no calories. Tea, no, iced tea with sugar, fruit juice etc, yes.

This would not be effective if you were tracking things other than calories, like caffeine, sodium, etc. but I am pretty moderate in those areas so I only worry about calories.
  • AlFreebs
    AlFreebs Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If I'm faithfully logging, I log everything that is listed as having calories, including gum.

Why wouldn't you? How would you expect to get an accurate report of calorie consumption without doing it? Fruit juice has a lot of calories.

I've seen this question before here, and frankly I don't understand it. I can only chalk it up to a complete ignorance of food values or the purpose of tracking calories.

It's all about choices. I stay under 1240 (although I do eat back my exercise calories sometimes, especially on the weekends), so feel free to add me and watch my journal. Honestly, I have found that many drinks aren't worth the calories. Coffee, water, and iced tea are pretty much all I drink (except when I mix in a few beers or wine on the weekend - but those add up quickly!!). It's all about sacrifice, so you just have to decide how much it is worth to you!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Log everything you consume! That's the golden rule. This way, if you need professional help from a dietitian, he or she can really help you. Also, it keeps you honest with yourself and on target.
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Log everything.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    They have calories, so of course you need to log them. Why wouldn't you?

^^ This...anything else pretty much defeats the purpose of tracking calories / macros doesn't it? Milk has carbs, fat (except skim) and protein. I would want to know how adding those calories fits into my daily macro goals. I log the 4oz of OJ I use in my protein shake mix. It does change the % of my macros if I don't.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Even though I read every reply, I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that you should log beverages, because they contain calories. I'm sure my opinion will be unpopular, but it's what I believe.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Log everything here :drinker:
  • scapalbo
    scapalbo Posts: 19
    Options
    If I'm faithfully logging, I log everything that is listed as having calories, including gum.

Why wouldn't you? How would you expect to get an accurate report of calorie consumption without doing it? Fruit juice has a lot of calories.

I've seen this question before here, and frankly I don't understand it. I can only chalk it up to a complete ignorance of food values or the purpose of tracking calories.

I'm consistently under 1200 calories, and have to work hard to get more calories in. I eat huge salads at lunch that don't log a lot of calories, I eat a yogurt for breakfast that keeps me satisfied until lunch...so no need to snack (and no time to snack, with my work schedule) I eat a healthy dinner with a protein, starch and veggie...and there are times that I'm 400 calories below 1200...before my exercise.

I got fat by eating small amounts of crap food...not by overeating...I'm eating more than I ever did...and consuming less calories...and really having trouble getting them in. (and then I exercise, and get more calories that I need to force down in food)