4.5 mph is not walking, it's running for a petite female.

Replies

• Bentleymama86
    Bentleymama86 Posts: 89 Member
    4.5 mph is still 4.5 mph whether you walk or run it you will be burning the same amount of calories.

Yep. I rather jog at 5 mph than "walk" at 5 mph and look ridiculous doing so. Yes, Speed walkers looks funny to me. I mean, real speed walkers. You know who im talking about. lol
    What you talking about me for? lol j/k but I know I look funny when I speed walk lmao eventually I will get to running ;)
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    4.5 mph is still 4.5 mph whether you walk or run it you will be burning the same amount of calories.

Yep. I rather jog at 5 mph than "walk" at 5 mph and look ridiculous doing so. Yes, Speed walkers looks funny to me. I mean, real speed walkers. You know who im talking about. lol
    What you talking about me for? lol j/k but I know I look funny when I speed walk lmao eventually I will get to running ;)

Oh, its just me Im sure, :)
    But I find it harder to speed walk than running. I bet you get a better workout speed walking too
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    It may be walking for a over 6 foot male but for a petite woman it is light running. I am 5'5 and take more steps than a taller person to keep up so wouldn't that mean I could run at a slower MPH than a man?
    It makes no sense to me that I have to run at 4.5 MPH but MFP claims I am walking. It's unfair really. I feel i am running and according to my heart rate I am. MFP really needs to take height and length t of legs and torso into consideration. Also list more exercises. speed intervals on a treadmill is not even listed neigher is planking. They list cleaning house as exercise but not being in a mosh pit which is much more moving than cleaning.

Use this, jogging down to whatever speed.

For logging and eating back calories using MFP, use the NET function. Gross would be what the MFP database reports, or a HRM, if you really want to compare.

Create your own exercise if desired in MFP, but then again, use whatever you want, change the minutes, and then change the calories.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Pushing your weight free of gravity into the air, compared to just propelling forward.

No, there is a decent difference, especially as weight increases or time/distance done.

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp.html

84 vs 65 cal / mile / 100 lbs.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    I'm 5'4, and 4.5 is a fairly fast walk for me. 5.5 is a light jog, 6 mph is a good jog that I can keep up for a few miles, definitely not a "run" though. Maybe try to elongate your stride? As far as calories burned walking vs running, you would need a heart rate monitor to be sure. Just because it "feels" harder, doesn't mean it is actually burning more calories. It also depends on the length of the exercise, it's usually easier to walk a mile than to run it, even though walking it takes longer.

ETA: MPH or miles per hour, is just how many miles you can run in x amount of minutes. So 4.5 mph is a 13 minute mile. Some people would consider that a jogging pace, some would consider it a walking pace. Kind of on the border.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    I am one of those 6 foot tall males the OP writes about and I think calling 4.5 MPH walking is a bit of a stretch. It's a heck of a cadence if you want to do a true walk. Probably easier to start jogging at that speed.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

Pushing your weight free of gravity into the air, compared to just propelling forward.

No, there is a decent difference, especially as weight increases or time/distance done.

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp.html

84 vs 65 cal / mile / 100 lbs.

According to this article once you hit 12:30 minutes per mile (4.8 MPH) walking hits the point where it burns the same amount of calories as running. Faster than that you will burn more calories than running at a 10 minute mile.

http://m.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/running-v-walking-how-many-calories-will-you-burn

It also notes that almost no one other than competitive speed walkers go 12:30 m/m walking.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Totally understand this! 5'0 here.

3.5 is a fast power walk

4.0 is a jog

4.5-5.5 is full on running.
  • Im 5'1" and I walk on the treadmill at 7km ( 4.5mile)
    Just saying ;-)
  • Bonny619
    I would have the most intense shin splits possible!

That's awesome that you other shorties can do it!
  • k_saenz
    k_saenz Posts: 126
    I'm 4'11" and consider 4.5 walking. I run at at least 6 mph
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Speak for yourself! I'm only 5'2" and anything less than 5mph is walking for me. I run at 10mph.

5'1"

I don't know mph because my treadmill is in kmph but for me anything up to 8kmph is walking, 9kmph doesn't happen, then running is 10kmph. I don't do jogging. I only do walking or running and I'm not all that keen on running.
  • Bonny619
    I CAN walk at 4.5 mph but my body instinctively wants to go into a jog/run. It just feels much more comfortable.
  • nagniho
    nagniho Posts: 132 Member
    I CAN walk at 4.5 mph but my body instinctively wants to go into a jog/run. It just feels much more comfortable.

same here:-) I could do the funky power walk but at 4.5 mph it is easier to start a slow jog. I use this speed during my interval days. Sprint at 6.5-6.7 and then come down to 4.5.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    i'm 5'5 and 4.5 is walking for me. it's actually pretty uncomfortable for me to jog at that pace or anything under 5.1. for me, the border between not being able to walk and having to run is like 5.0/5.1.

i think it depends on your stride length : shorter choppier steps -> slower speed.

i also have a long legs so that might be a factor as well
  • mego07
    mego07 Posts: 234 Member
    So true, I am barely 5 feet tall:
    4mph - fast walk
    4.2mph - pretty fast walk
    4.5mph- slow jog
    5.0mph- fast jog
    6mph - run
    6.5 to 7mph - sprint

i am the same until i get more into shape. For a while 5.0 is a fast jog but soon in turns into too slow and i am at a fast jog at 5.5. 6 has always been a run.. i can agree with you there.

also, nice to see us petite ladies running! It can get discouraging especially if any of us run races or play running sports like soccer.
  • hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    I'm 5'4" with short legs and at 4mph on the treadmill, it's a very fast walk for me. I have to start jogging at 4.5.

All these articles that offer treadmill workouts are all waaayyyy too fast for me. They usually say 4mp is the warm-up pace!! I can't 4mph until I've been on the treadmill for at least 10-15 mins!
  • babyworms
    babyworms Posts: 1,304 Member
    ... I'm 5'10" and 4.6 is DEFINITELY running for me...
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Speak for yourself! I'm only 5'2" and anything less than 5mph is walking for me. I run at 10mph.

5'1"

I don't know mph because my treadmill is in kmph but for me anything up to 8kmph is walking, 9kmph doesn't happen, then running is 10kmph. I don't do jogging. I only do walking or running and I'm not all that keen on running.

Mine's also in kph, but equates to:
    <5 mph is about <8 kph which for me is walking speed
    5-6 mph is about 9 kph which for me is brisk walking
    6-7 mph is about 9.5-11.3 kph which for me is a slow jog
    7-8 mph is about 11.3-13 kph which for me is a medium jog
    8-10 mph is about 13-16 kph which for me is running
    >12 mph is about 19.3 kph which is a sprint when I'm doing intervals.

Just because I'm short, doesn't mean I can't run fast :) At the end of the day it's just about training. You'll find that as you become a more experienced runner, you'll be able to run faster and for longer. Don't stress out if 4.5 mph is running for you right now, you'll build it up eventually.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member

5'1"

Mine's also in kph, but equates to:
    <5 mph is about <8 kph which for me is walking speed
    5-6 mph is about 9 kph which for me is brisk walking
    6-7 mph is about 9.5-11.3 kph which for me is a slow jog
    7-8 mph is about 11.3-13 kph which for me is a medium jog
    8-10 mph is about 13-16 kph which for me is running
    >12 mph is about 19.3 kph which is a sprint when I'm doing intervals.

Just because I'm short, doesn't mean I can't run fast :) At the end of the day it's just about training. You'll find that as you become a more experienced runner, you'll be able to run faster and for longer. Don't stress out if 4.5 mph is running for you right now, you'll build it up eventually.

True. I used to be able to run a mile in 8-9 mins. I'm just really out of shape right now.