4.5 mph is not walking, it's running for a petite female.

Options

Replies

• JoyTH
    JoyTH Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You all just make me HAPPY! I'm 5'7' and I have been running 4 to 4.5 mph! And it feels like running, my leg muscles and lungs feel it! And I love it! So glad there are others! THANKS!
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and i'm jogging at a 4.0 speed!!
  • LLStover09
    LLStover09 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I disagree. It's the same MPH yes, however if your "running" at 4.5 because your legs/stride are shorter, your expending more energy, increasing your HR and burning more calories
    4.5 mph is still 4.5 mph whether you walk or run it you will be burning the same amount of calories.
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and I just can't go 4.5. It is neither a run nor a walk. It is just straight up awkward. I have to walk, then skip, then run a little, then skip and walk again.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3" and 4.5mph is a brisk walk for me =P
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    You all just make me HAPPY! I'm 5'7' and I have been running 4 to 4.5 mph ! And it feels like running, my leg muscles and lungs feel it! And I love it! So glad there are others! THANKS!

Okay!

I'm 5'10 and run nonstop on treadmill an average of 50 mins at 4.0-5.3 speeds and often up my incline as well. I do not know if its running or jogging I just know I'm sweating and burn a lot of calories so that is all that matters! lol
  • Healingnutritionsolutions
    Options
    Interesting post missed it the first time around... I'm 5'2.5" tall, pudgy and 4.0 is the fastest I can walk, 4.2 when I'm really in great shape, 4.5 is breaking into a jog. Short stubby legs have a lot of strength, but not a lot of speed...
  • cIaireBear
    Options
    Holy crap, do I relate to this. This made me giggle. <3
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You all just make me HAPPY! I'm 5'7' and I have been running 4 to 4.5 mph ! And it feels like running, my leg muscles and lungs feel it! And I love it! So glad there are others! THANKS!

Okay!

I'm 5'10 and run nonstop on treadmill an average of 50 mins at 4.0-5.3 speeds and often up my incline as well. I do not know if its running or jogging I just know I'm sweating and burn a lot of calories so that is all that matters! lol

Running and jogging is just the difference in intensity, so it's totally your perception.

You holding back your speed because this needs to be an easy workout because you had a big one yesterday and are sore, or have a harder day planned tomorrow - you are jogging.

You are going normal speed that is based on how far you plan on going and this is your hard workout - you are running.

You are going all out for short spurts that requires walking afterwards - you are sprinting and doing intervals.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Okay!

Running and jogging is just the difference in intensity, so it's totally your perception.

You holding back your speed because this needs to be an easy workout because you had a big one yesterday and are sore, or have a harder day planned tomorrow - you are jogging.

You are going normal speed that is based on how far you plan on going and this is your hard workout - you are running.

You are going all out for short spurts that requires walking afterwards - you are sprinting and doing intervals.

i like these definitions because it highlights that these are relative terms not only from person to person but only also within different stages of the same person's fitness life.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

i like these definitions because it highlights that these are relative terms not only from person to person but only also within different stages of the same person's fitness life.

If I'd seen two topics in different order, I wouldn't have included the sprinting comment.
    But someone elsewhere mention they can basically only walk 3 mph now, and getting up to or slightly over 4 mph walking is huge effort, and can only be done for 20-30 sec before needing to slow way down below 3 mph.

So for them, that is sprinting. Of course, their other stuff is clearly walking as one foot is always on the ground, no jogging or running no matter their intent right now.
    But with those sprint intervals, I'm sure they'll get there, well, and lbs lighter too.
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me smile. I'm 5'2, and on good days I can walk over 5mph. It's not overly comfortable mind you, but it burns calories. When I started, 3.6 was my highest speed. Now 4-4.5 is my comfortable speed walking pace.

4.5 is only running until you improve enough that it's walking. It feels awesome walking past everyone else on the track.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as "jogging"--- at least by a physiology definition. "Walking" means having one foot in contact with the ground during the stride; "running" is when both feet are off the ground during the stride. Speed doesn't matter.

The main significance of "lower" running speeds (less than 5.0 mph) is that energy- prediction equations are not valid. That is because there is too much individual variability at the lower speeds for an equation to be accurate for all individuals.

Practically, that means that estimated calorie burns--whether on a treadmill or a database-- will not be accurate if you are running at speeds less than 5.0 mph. At those speeds the machines are programmed to use the equation for walking, not running.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Create your own exercise....problem solved.
  • Grumbers
    Grumbers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I walk reasonably comfortably at 4.5mph. I also have probably 1000 more calories per day allowance than most on here. Being a 6ft5 Male can be very good! :)
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and while I have to take twice as many steps as my husband when we're walking (he always knows when he's going too fast because I sound like a horse trotting along when I'm wearing heels) 4 - 4.5 MPH is a brisk walk for me. My jogging pace on the treadmill when I start out is between 6.3-6.5. My running pace if I'm doing a tempo run is 7-7.5. Being short doesn't really have much to do with your pace.

If you're just starting out with running then yes, 4.5 is going to be a "jog" pace for you. Have you tried to up the speed for a little while? If not try doing sprints. Do your normal pace for 1-2 minutes then up the speed a bit -- maybe to 5 or 5.2 -- and do that for a minute (or half a minute if it's too much) then back down to 4.5 for a 2-3 min. jog etc. That will help you increase your speed if that's what you're aiming for.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    It has nothing to do with your height

I am 5'2" and 4.5 mph is a brisk walk for me
    Jogging is 6-6.5mph
    Running is 7-10mph
  • piratebear1
    piratebear1 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    as was explained, thats false.

Reason why is when you're walking, the body can power you using the fatty acid energy system. which is far more efficient at making ATP than the cardio system. Once you get moving fast enough, then the cardio system becomes the dominate power source for moving muscles, so results in a higher calorie burn, even over same distances..
    [/quote]

The above makes sense - however I am 5ft and my hubby is 6ft 4 and we walk togather - we do 4.2 mph and i am practically running and out of breath where as its small steps for him! so therefore Im practically hitting cardio surely? yet he isnt
  • LoggingForLife
    LoggingForLife Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Me too. I have short legs and 5 is max for me now. I always end up next to someone who is running at a 7 and barely breaking a sweat....