4.5 mph is not walking, it's running for a petite female.

Options

Replies

• gward_1984
    gward_1984 Posts: 13
    Options
    Yeah I can imagine, i'm 6ft5 and walk at around 4.1 mph
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My mother is 5'1" and 4.5 mph is a walk for her. I'm 5'7" and I have to trot to keep up with her walk. That woman is crazy-fast for her tiny little legs. I don't know how she does it.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    eh, not really. I'm 5'4'' and my natural walking pace is about 4.3 mph. I have tall parents and a tall boyfriend! I learned how to walk fast. 4.5 is not a run for me...not even a jog. My friends have spent years complaining "you walk too fast!"
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Speak for yourself! I'm only 5'2" and anything less than 5mph is walking for me. I run at 10mph.

If this is serious, I'm 100% terrified. 10 mph? Ho.ly.*kitten*.

Also, I'm 5'10" and new to running but 4.5 is a decent jog for me. I ran (it's running for me) at 5.0 the other day. I'd much rather jog/run that pace than walk it. But yeah, when I went to log my jogging at 4.5, I was like, "What is this?"
  • lovelyworld
    lovelyworld Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So true haha - it's hard to work yourself up to 5mph to log it as running!
  • peggysue218
    peggysue218 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    ... I'm 5'10" and 4.6 is DEFINITELY running for me...

Me, too... I was starting to feel inadequate reading about all these shorties who laugh off anything under 6 mph. Maybe you guys can go faster because you're littler. Plus you have a lower center of gravity and therefore greater stability and resistance to falling. These are all of my bullsh*t theories to justify why I can't run faster (yet) without killing myself.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Speak for yourself! I'm only 5'2" and anything less than 5mph is walking for me. I run at 10mph.

If this is serious, I'm 100% terrified. 10 mph? Ho.ly.*kitten*.

Also, I'm 5'10" and new to running but 4.5 is a decent jog for me. I ran (it's running for me) at 5.0 the other day. I'd much rather jog/run that pace than walk it. But yeah, when I went to log my jogging at 4.5, I was like, "What is this?"

Why wouldn't I be serious? I'm a runner. And an ex national-level swimmer. I compete in long distance running events and triathlons.

*shrug*
  • kelag297
    kelag297 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya. 5'4.5" and to me

2.5 mph is a normal walk
    3 mph is a fast walk
    3.5 mph is a very fast walk
    4 mph is a jog
    4.5 mph is running

That is exactly how it is for me! I'm 5'1 and my short little legs feel like they are gonna explode when I try to go higher than 5 mph on the treadmill.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Definitely. I'm 5'4", and even 4.0 mph is running for me. For running & walking, I don't use MFP's labels. I make my own. I use an HRM, so it's easier for me to do that.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    THIS is exactly what I think! I'm 5'1" and I usually do 4.5 mph, which is jogging for me, and the most comfortable pace for me (for now). Like others have said already, I've been logging it as "walking" at 4.5 mph, better underestimate than overestimate!
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am only 5 ft tall and 4.5 is a brisk walk for me...

MFP calculations are estimates. If you feel like you are running you are likely burning what I burn going faster when I feel like I am running...
  • thehka
    thehka Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    brisk brisk walking LOL i dont think so. you can only do so much brisk walking until you realize youre just running. 4.5-5 mph is my usual pace and im always dying. whenever i do sprinting it ends up being only at like 6-6.5mph pfft lol

(im 5'8)
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    3 is normal walk
    3.5 is moderate walk
    3.8 is fast walk
    4 is a jog
    4.2 is running
    4.5 is slightly faster running
    4.8 is as fast as I can go and I can probably take it for 30 seconds

That last one sounded pretty dirty.
    That, it did. It certainly did.
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 4.5 is a pretty steady jog for me - it's definitely too fast to even power walk.

Some of us just have a slower engine than other people :)
  • kelsully
    Options
    the point is...it has nothing to do with height...it has to do with speed, experience, whether you make effort to be a runner or use the treadmill as a cardio activity. I actively train to run as fast as my body will allow me to run. I do speed work, tempo runs, hill repeats...not for the weight loss benefits, while those being nice, but so that i can shave time off my mile splits.

If you are looking for accurate calorie burn you are best off with a quality HRM.
  • LovelyLumos
    LovelyLumos Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    i totally agree!! 4.5 is perfect jogging speed for me. im 5"2 and i feel like im not doing as much because it says very very brisk walk that is NOT walking to me!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    the point is...it has nothing to do with height...it has to do with speed, experience, whether you make effort to be a runner or use the treadmill as a cardio activity. I actively train to run as fast as my body will allow me to run. I do speed work, tempo runs, hill repeats...not for the weight loss benefits, while those being nice, but so that i can shave time off my mile splits.

If you are looking for accurate calorie burn you are best off with a quality HRM.

I don't agree with this at all.

I am a runner, I view running the same as you and do the same workouts. I rarely use the treadmill, however, if I am on the treadmill and decide to walk at a fast pace, if I turn it up to 4 or 4.5 I can't keep up at a walk, it is a jog.
    I am not saying this is my "running speed", my running speed is faster than 4.5 MPH. I literally cannot walk at that pace.

I also have short legs.
  • kelsully
    Options
    ^^^^ I mean in the regards to calorie burn...4.5 is a brisk walk for me...but calorie burn wise it is a conditioning issue more than it is a height issue...I won't burn as much running or walking at 4.5mph as i will at 8mph...my mother might burn more at 4.5mph than I do at 8mph due to our level of training with that specific activity. My husband is quite tall and when he trains even a little he can run faster than me in a half marathon...but as of right now 4.5 kicks his *kitten*....so calorie burn wise it has more to do with HR than speed and that is the OP's question as I understood it.
  • theruby
    theruby Posts: 36
    Options
    In my youth, I walked everywhere. I stopped growing at 13. 5'2" and at my peak a fast walk then was about 3.5mph. the 6foot tall guys always out paced me, even when I was equally or more fit than them. Height should be a consideration for pacing a walk vs a run in regards to cardiac function and caloric burn. A 4mph stroll for a 6ft person would probably put a giraffe to sleep, food for thought... Anyhoo, yes mfp has it listed as a walk, and you could create your own entries. But as most noobs on here search the net, that pace is listed as a walk everywhere online. Best bet for true caloric and vocabulary accuracy would be to create your own entries calculating heart rates. I would also gladly use anyones' entries for short statured paces, but I'm not sweatin' it LOL