4.5 mph is not walking, it's running for a petite female.

Options

Replies

• Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    5'9" here 4.5-4.8 is a fast walk for me. I have been told I take very long, and quite fast strides. I can and have out walked some joggers lol
  • Telomin
    Telomin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I recommend logging stuff like this with a sports tracker (MFP is mostly focused on food), where you can choose if you walked or ran., or jogged or anything else.
    I use endomondo and I really reommend it!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Speak for yourself! I'm only 5'2" and anything less than 5mph is walking for me. I run at 10mph.

This!!! I'm 5'2 and average between 4-4.5 MPH and it's walking for me! :bigsmile:
  • Telomin
    Telomin Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    oh and keep endomondo connected with MFP so it will update to MFP when you've logged it.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    5'4" here and when I walk I'm always at a 4.5-5 MPH pace..and that's fast walking. Not running. If I run its typically 6-6.5 MPH.. Sooo... just no.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    This has nothing to do with height. I'm 5'10" and though I have short legs (Even regular length are too long for me :() my normal treadmill pace is around 6.4 for an easy run.

My sister who is 5'2.5" and petite runs around 6:30 minute miles - I don't know what setting that is on the treadmill as the highest I can crank it up to and not fly off is like 8.2 - and that's for a minute interval so I don't know hwo fast it is as I'm praying for dear life.

has nothing to do with height.
  • hirstrl
    hirstrl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"4' and 4 mph is running to me. I feel your pain. Lol.

Yes me too. 5'4 and run at 4 mph
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    4.5 mph is still 4.5 mph whether you walk or run it you will be burning the same amount of calories.
    Actually, speed walking burns more calories than running at the same speed. I remember reading a study they did, can't locate it now. Plus it makes sense. To speed walk, you're using a lot of upper body motion for momentum.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks :) i'm a tiny smidge under 5ft and a very brisk walking pace for me is 4.5mph. For a shortie i have long legs and a quick stride.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I commented on this thread a while ago. I can't remember if I clarified. But, at one point I was talking about km per hour not miles per hour. Lol
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It may be walking for a over 6 foot male but for a petite woman it is light running. I am 5'5 and take more steps than a taller person to keep up so wouldn't that mean I could run at a slower MPH than a man?
    It makes no sense to me that I have to run at 4.5 MPH but MFP claims I am walking. It's unfair really. I feel i am running and according to my heart rate I am. MFP really needs to take height and length t of legs and torso into consideration. Also list more exercises. speed intervals on a treadmill is not even listed neigher is planking. They list cleaning house as exercise but not being in a mosh pit which is much more moving than cleaning.

I'm 5'4", and 4.5mph for me is a swift walk. I could make it a very very slow jog if I wanted, but it's pretty much a powerwalk. Everyone's different, but as far as calories burned, sorry, it's still a lower burn than a faster "run".
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Speed does not determine if it is a walk or run ... the mechanics of movement differentiate between them.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    How many times has this thread been necro'd since it was first started a year ago?

Just wondering. :ohwell:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    How many times has this thread been necro'd since it was first started a year ago?

Just wondering. :ohwell:

Too many. I can't decide whether to post non-stop until I roll it or continue to pray it stays dead this time.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
  • jewelleestone
    jewelleestone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Im 5'4 and 4.0 is my walking pace ....5.5 is my run pace and 6.5-7 is my sprint pace. Ive had to work up to this and i dont jog i walk or run. Jogging is just annoying to me when i try since i walk faster than i jog
  • jewelleestone
    jewelleestone Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Last November when i started running i walked 3 - 3.5 and ran 4.7-5. Now any thing under 5.5 is a walk for me
  • Froggymcconnell
    Froggymcconnell Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i am 5ft 1 and 7.5 is run for me on treadmill, 5 is light jog and 4.0 is normal pace :smile:
  • JeylineSS
    JeylineSS Posts: 32 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Right there with ya. 5'4.5" and to me

2.5 mph is a normal walk
    3 mph is a fast walk
    3.5 mph is a very fast walk
    4 mph is a jog
    4.5 mph is running

Same for me. I am the exact height however I am heavy now. I have short THICK legs.
    When I was lighter (back in the day) legs were muscular, stronger and had more flexibility (lengthier stride):
    3.5 was normal walk, 5 was a jog, and 5+ to 6.5 was running, 7+ was sprinting.
    Hope to get there again.

NOW
    3.5 fast walk
    4 is a jog
    4+ to 5 is an exhausting jog/run
    5+ feels like a sprint lol

I think this can vary for anyone at any height. We have to consider weight, flexibility, stride length, etc... SO I say don't feel bad if your speed is lower than most. Keep practicing, keep pushing and stretch well for better flexibility!

Good luck everyone & KEEP RUNNING! :D

78826834.png
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    as you walk/run more, this speed will become your walk speed, not your run speed, so it varies...really, this is a valid complaint?