You'd be so pretty....if you lost weight.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• jeanette60621
    Options
    how rude, don't people have ANY manners anymore..?
  • ssarabear
    ssarabear Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was told this my ENTIRE life from my mother. It's not a compliment, and quite frankly it's RUDE. I had to learn to shut people like that out the older I get. Not easy, but do-able. LOVE YOU. Be nice to yourself! Ignore the rest of the idiots.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I know I would be much prettier if I lost more weight. Would I be smarter, funnier, have a higher IQ? Nope. But yeah, I'd be prettier for sure. I'm very realistic when it comes to myself. I didn't look pretty when I was morbidly obese.
  • rose_gian
    rose_gian Posts: 43
    Options
    Anyone else ever have experience with a line like that? This is something my dad has said to me numerous times over the years, I know he means it as a pseudo compliment/motivation, but that's not how it made me feel at the time.

When I get pseudo compliments or motivation is brings me down and has the opposite effect. I would tell MY dad to not speak to ME that way anymore.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Not exactly--but my sister did say once, "If you get smaller than me you're going to be more pretty!"
    She didn't mean anything by it, but it's like, I'm already not more pretty than you?
  • anjsdav
    anjsdav Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    because that is not how you motivate someone. that only puts them down. wow. i'd probably say something back like "you'd be a lot nicer if you just wouldn't talk." sorry

Nice one...I wish I was so quick witted :)
  • amandaanderson2786
    amandaanderson2786 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    a family member once told me i better not eat so much or pretty soon i would be shopping at the tent and awning store. i laughed it off and said ya whatever but inside it made me feel bad
  • cheyennekl
    cheyennekl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My stepdad tells me I have legs like an All Black (New Zealand Rugby team) ... I take it as a compliment, those guys have some muscle going on!!
  • cheyennekl
    cheyennekl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Not exactly--but my sister did say once, "If you get smaller than me you're going to be more pretty!"
    She didn't mean anything by it, but it's like, I'm already not more pretty than you?

Oh lol at this! I told my sister that I thought I would be too skinny if I lost 20kgs, she looked me up and down and said "No you wouldn't" I don't think she realised how that would sound ....
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! My mom ALWAYS says that too me. I used to get very upset whenever she would tell me that but now whenever she tells me I just ignore her. I know she means well, probably wants to motivate me, so I just ignore the comment and change the topic of conversation
  • alehundrah
    alehundrah Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! My mom ALWAYS says that too me. I used to get very upset whenever she would tell me that but now whenever she tells me I just ignore her. I know she means well, probably wants to motivate me, so I just ignore the comment and change the topic of conversation
  • Donna_Houghton
    Donna_Houghton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been single for a very long time and one colleague at work once told me that I was really pretty and that if I lost 'the weight' I would have men queing up to go out with me.

My answer was that I wouldn't want a single one of them. You've got to love yourself for who you are and think highly enough of yourself not to want to be with someone that is too shallow minded to look past the outer shell.

My colleague meant well, and I didn't feel upset at her. But it must have affected me because I still remember every word of that conversation!
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I remember when I was young like under 10 and my dad said something about getting my dress at Lincoln tent and awning. At the time I did not realize it was a real place. Now when I think about that it really hurts. Since he is gone I can not tell him how much that haunts me.
  • merry_abandon
    merry_abandon Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    A family member has said something like, "You look fine. You DO have some chubbiness around your middle, but otherwise you look pretty good." Gee, thanks. :P (And she pinched my sides when she said it!)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Anyone else ever have experience with a line like that? This is something my dad has said to me numerous times over the years, I know he means it as a pseudo compliment/motivation, but that's not how it made me feel at the time.

I'm glad I'm not the only young lady who's experienced this type of criticism from her father. It's hard to hear, even knowing that he means well.