Dog getting too fat?

Options
Cr01502
Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
I'm having a problem with my 5 year old yellow labrador (human years). She's always been a little chubby. This is her at 6 weeks old.
puppy_zps4e22749f.jpg

As you can see she is a little chubby but adorable nonetheless. As she grew older her appetite grew as well. I used to feed her whatever I would eat bacon, pancakes, ice cream, oreo cookies, and healthy stuff like chicken and vegetables too. Really the only thing she doesn't eat is celery. She won't touch it. She was also very active as a young dog. This is her attacking a snowman.

peggysnow_zps31212f21.jpg

Lately though people have been making comments like 'Hey man. Not to be rude but your dog is getting a bit plump' I usually tell them to keep their mouth shut as I don't want her to develop a disorder or anything like that. But then after a day at work I came home to this.

525515_10100338485903699_1644133366_n_zpsf8477854.jpg

This photo was taken after she somehow managed to open my freezer door. 3 pints of ice cream and half a raw salmon later this was the after math. That was really the only time she's ever done anything like this. She's normally very well behaved but I'm wondering if all the people calling her fat are hurting her feelings and she's eating more to cover it up . . just a theory.

Then today I was lounging in the garden and noticed she had gotten plump. Here's her latest pic.

photo_zps6e8568d6.jpg

Notice how tiny her head is?

For fellow dog owners, have you had to deal with anything like this? How did you manage? My dog loves food so much and it makes her so happy . . . I don't want to deny her the food she loves but I also want her to be healthy and happy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Great opportunity to exercise together! Walk, walk, walk and keep her off the people food. I'm sure you know this.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    omg, first pic is so cute

and just feed the dog dog food if you are unable to identify healthy natural foods that dogs are able to digest.

my parent-in-laws dog was diagnosed with diabetes. it was no accident. the pup was fed strawberry yogurt every morning with its dog food as a treat! among other things, like shepherds pie, etc.

now the dog is on insulin shots daily
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking a vegan diet might work. Do you have any leftover deflated soya?
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    She is a lil plump.

I NEVER NEVER NEVER feed my animals (Two dogs and one cat) table scraps EVER. Table scraps are VERY bad for your pet. Garlic, Onions, and many other things are deadly to animals. CHOCOLATE is deadly to dogs.
    They DO NOT free feed.
    No treats every day. Treats only for training or special event or accomplishment.
    Lots of walks and activity.
    She is getting older so her food needs change. WHat are you feeding her? Is it a food meant for her age and activity level?
    We feed Wellness and weruva. Is she eating dry or wet food or a combination of the both?

Pets are like kids. Of course they always want to eat and eat junk, it's our responsibility not to give it to them.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Great opportunity to exercise together! Walk, walk, walk and keep her off the people food. I'm sure you know this.

But all my dog eats is people food!!

I want her to be healthy and happy. I've looked at dog food and it lists a bunch of chemicals and things like 'ash' get put into it.
  • Davina_JH
    Davina_JH Posts: 473 Member
    Options

QFT...

I've heard vegan diets are great for cats too.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options

I want her to be healthy and happy. I've looked at dog food and it lists a bunch of chemicals and things like 'ash' get put into it.

Well there is your problem.

Merrick
    Blue
    Weruva
    Wellness
    Call of the Wild

are some high quality pet foods.
  • bearkisses
    Options

there are very high quality natural dog foods out there, go to a pet store and ask them to help you find something good for your pup. stay away from the big brands, they are the ones that have crap in them.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Your baby gets what your baby wants. I totally get that. She's your girl and her happiness is number one. I completely agree that the harsh comments could trigger low self worth and ultimately even more disordered eating. Her binging is what concerns me. Whatever approach you take, be sure to talk with her extensively about how and why things may be a bit different. I don't think you can just cut her off. She will resent you.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Labs are prone to gaining weight. It's really the same process as with people. Control her feeding and get her moving some more and she'll drop off some weight. Measure out her food and stick to a schedule. Feeding once in the morning and once in the evening works for our dog, and she doesn't get table scraps..apart from the very occasional extra pancake or some apple slices.

And honestly...
    For fellow dog owners, have you had to deal with anything like this? How did you manage? My dog loves food so much and it makes her so happy . . . I don't want to deny her the food she loves but I also want her to be healthy and happy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This made me think the entire thread was just a joke. But you did put some effort into posting those images. So I'm torn. She'll eat when you say and be happy about it. I treat my dog like a member of the family, but she's not a little person.
  • bearkisses
    Options

Well there is your problem.

Merrick
    Blue
    Weruva
    Wellness
    Call of the Wild

are some high quality pet foods.

my dog is on wellness! for small breeds. she loves it. and she is so super healthy.
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My one dog was a slow weight gainer. She started getting into and eating things we would leave in her sight. Turns out she has a thyroid disorder. We put her on medication and had to be very strict with her diet; no more people food, all meals measured.
  • Cr01502
    Options

Well, to be honest she does enjoy things like pancakes and ice cream but she's also a huge bacon fan. Overall I think she wouldn't be a very happy vegan (are there any LOL)?
  • bearkisses
    Options
    Labs are prone to gaining weight. It's really the same process as with people. Control her feeding and get her moving some more and she'll drop off some weight. Measure out her food and stick to a schedule. Feeding once in the morning and once in the evening works for our dog, and she doesn't get table scraps..apart from the very occasional extra pancake or some apple slices.

And honestly...

This made me think the entire thread was just a joke. But you did put some effort into posting those images. So I'm torn. She'll eat when you say and be happy about it. I treat my dog like a member of the family, but she's not a little person.

i can't believe you give your dog a whole pancake. a treat for my dog is the strawberry left on a husk, a tiny tiny piece of cantaloupe, a spinach leaf here and there. she runs off with it and loves it! i gave her ONE fruit loop the other day just to watch her crunch it adorably. but it was ONE and i feel guilty lol
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    We feed the raw diet and when we need to cute back intake we feed him green beans or broccoli frozen to fill his belly. Its not only healthy but good for their teeth.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options

there are very high quality natural dog foods out there, go to a pet store and ask them to help you find something good for your pup. stay away from the big brands, they are the ones that have crap in them.

Agreed, many of the name brands you know like Purena, Iams, Eukanunba suck. They have crap in them.

My German Shepard has IBS and lymphangiectasia.

Bring her to a vet and see what they have to say.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

Unless you've actually put some effort into researching canine nutrition, you might as well start saving up for dealing with your Lab's inevitable case of Pancreatitis.
  • MorgueBabe
    Options

Well, to be honest she does enjoy things like pancakes and ice cream but she's also a huge bacon fan. Overall I think she wouldn't be a very happy vegan (are there any LOL)?

I seriously at this point don't know if you really want help.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I honestly have no clue if this thread is legit or not. If you are seriously asking, buy high quality dog food or make your own with high quality ingredients (something like this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-dog-food/ ).
  • thecakelocker
    thecakelocker Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Juice cleanse?