Dog getting too fat?

Options

Replies

• brittroady0
    brittroady0 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You should watch the documentary bellow about how to deal with your dog, I would follow all the steps to the very end to make sure you are successful.

old-yeller-447-16x9-large.jpg?1357215919

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Funny & Terrible!!
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I go on long walks with my dog, and let her run around the backyard until she's tired. I only feed her the recommended amount of food for her size, regardless of how sad or mopey she gets.

Is this the way of the future? Restricting and limiting our loved ones access to food because they don't have an ideal body?

lol! reference to the fat-shaming thread
  • Shari1965
    Shari1965 Posts: 1
    Options
    When my dogs started getting too heavy my vet suggested substituting about 1/4 cup of green beans for 1/4 cup of the kibble every day. It was a lot fewer calories plus they thought it was a super treat! I also increased their exercise slowly. Check with your vet before adding the green beans so he/she can tell you how long you should do this. Good luck!
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I go on long walks with my dog, and let her run around the backyard until she's tired. I only feed her the recommended amount of food for her size, regardless of how sad or mopey she gets.

Is this the way of the future? Restricting and limiting our loved ones access to food because they don't have an ideal body?

lol! reference to the fat-shaming thread

I have not seen the thread you speak of. This really is no laughing matter :(
  • bearkisses
    Options

Why why would humans want to inflict their ethics onto animals? Changing the physiology of an animal to fit into your ethics just blows my mind away. Cat's are obligate carnivores! To not eat meat is death for them. Sorry tangent but this just scares me that someone would inflict their beliefs onto animals.

this is false for both dogs and cats. some animals have a hard time digesting animal protein and are actually advised onto vegetarian diets. my cousins dog is a vegetarian because he will get sick and die if he eats the regular dog foods.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    At first I thought this post was supposed to be funny, but then I scrolled and I'm a bit scared. How does the dog have access to the fridge? My lab could eat and eat all day, but I limit her access to food and she is lean and healthy and very active. Please dont feed her people food regularly obesity in animals is just as much a killer as obesity in humans. You are talking about severe arthritis, hemmoroids, bloating which can kill a dog, and heart disease. Dogs are omnivores and need to be fed a diet that supplies all the essential proteins. Dog's are not herbivores and to put one on a vegan diet would be cruel. You can make your own dog food, but look at what you need to do to supply her the complete nutrition because if you are missing anything it could spell death for your dog. There are some great dog food's out there that are more wholesome (they are pricey), but you wont have to worry about not feeding your baby all the nutrition that she needs. Animals should not be fed people food on a regular basis there are many ingredients in there like onions which can make your dog very sick. I dont have a problem eating a little bit of scraps every once in awhile as a treat, but to feed her so much she is fat may not be in your puppy's best interest.

I feed her a combination of rice, turkey, carrots, and broccoli. She also has a scoop of MORE dog food every day.

That sounds good she has her dog food to supply some of the vitamins and minerals you might be missing. Double check with your vet though and you two might be able to come up with a weight loss plan for her.
  • bearkisses
    Options
    When my dogs started getting too heavy my vet suggested substituting about 1/4 cup of green beans for 1/4 cup of the kibble every day. It was a lot fewer calories plus they thought it was a super treat! I also increased their exercise slowly. Check with your vet before adding the green beans so he/she can tell you how long you should do this. Good luck!

mine loves hers frozen. i give these to her whenever she is looking more on the constipated side. really good for digestion!
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My cats on meat

IMG_4257.jpg

My cats on their vegan diet

SweetIvan.jpg

Evanbeforeweedeating.jpg
  • michellechawner
    Options
    if your dog eats people food check out Dr. Coghlan's book "PaleoPet" (Dr. C is a close friend of mine and works with our rescue as our main vet). It covers whats safe, whats not, and what types of food your pet can eat. It also fixes a lot of allergy issues (maybe your dog has an allergy to something in her food and you don't even know it, since kibble is processed unless you have a high grade of hypoallergenic to a specific food source.)
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    Labs are prone to weight gain. I have a golden retriever. He gets a hell of a lot of walking and his diet is fairly strict. I tried taking him running the other day but he flaked out on me. He seems to be in good shape, just not cut out for running :S
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

Why why would humans want to inflict their ethics onto animals? Changing the physiology of an animal to fit into your ethics just blows my mind away. Cat's are obligate carnivores! To not eat meat is death for them. Sorry tangent but this just scares me that someone would inflict their beliefs onto animals.

this is false for both dogs and cats. some animals have a hard time digesting animal protein and are actually advised onto vegetarian diets. my cousins dog is a vegetarian because he will get sick and die if he eats the regular dog foods.

Cat's are very much obligate carnivores. I'm not sure what kind of disease your cousin dog has, but wolves in the wild will primarily consume animal protein with substitutes from seasonal fruits.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options

Well hold on now because it appears that I'm getting conflicting information. I thought dogs were not meant to eat people food.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    1. Didn't she just have surgery? Is it at all swollen or is it surely chubb?
    2. My vet says "She's just voluptuous. She seems happy that way, don't worry about it."
    3. My dog is OLD. Your baby is still a good solid middle-ager :) Perhaps a lil' diet... I'm a big fan of Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Solid Gold if you can get them over there.

NOTE: If you can't get them over there, it's time to just move in with me already.
  • sweetheart1982
    Options
    What a cute dog..try portion control and more walks... I noticed my cat getting overweight too and just got him a smaller bowl so that he will eat a little less during his meals.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Labs are prone to weight gain. I have a golden retriever. He gets a hell of a lot of walking and his diet is fairly strict. I tried taking him running the other day but he flaked out on me. He seems to be in good shape, just not cut out for running :S

So it's genetics then? My family is fat so I had to work extra hard to get in shape. Do I need to do the same for my dog? My sister is currently training for the Berlin marathon. Perhaps my dog should start her training schedule?
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Cat's are very much obligate carnivores. I'm not sure what kind of disease your cousin dog has, but wolves in the wild will primarily consume animal protein with substitutes from seasonal fruits.

My hound is allergic to anything but fish.
    He can't have any sort of meat or he breaks out in rashes and throws up and stuff. And yea we feed him wuerva so it's SUPER high quality.
    If people can be allergic to water and common stuff I don't see why it's crazy that some dogs (especially purebreds) would have stomach issues.

Because of the lymphangiectasia my German Shepard has she can't have normal dog food either.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Great opportunity to exercise together! Walk, walk, walk and keep her off the people food. I'm sure you know this.

But all my dog eats is people food!!

I want her to be healthy and happy. I've looked at dog food and it lists a bunch of chemicals and things like 'ash' get put into it.

Well there is your problem.

Merrick
    Blue
    Weruva
    Wellness
    Call of the Wild

are some high quality pet foods.

my dog is on wellness! for small breeds. she loves it. and she is so super healthy.

please please, look into this, my dog is so much happier since we switcher from a grain based diet, come to think of it , im happier without the grains too... correlation???
    anyhow, there is a great dog food advisor site that is FABULOUS for evaluating foods for precious
    and then , daddy, when you walk job of bike, precious needs to come too..
  • Cr01502
    Options
    Great opportunity to exercise together! Walk, walk, walk and keep her off the people food. I'm sure you know this.

But all my dog eats is people food!!

I want her to be healthy and happy. I've looked at dog food and it lists a bunch of chemicals and things like 'ash' get put into it.

Well there is your problem.

Merrick
    Blue
    Weruva
    Wellness
    Call of the Wild

are some high quality pet foods.

my dog is on wellness! for small breeds. she loves it. and she is so super healthy.

please please, look into this, my dog is so much happier since we switcher from a grain based diet, come to think of it , im happier without the grains too... correlation???
    anyhow, there is a great dog food advisor site that is FABULOUS for evaluating foods for precious
    and then , daddy, when you walk job of bike, precious needs to come too..

I'm glad you mentioned this because I've heard alot about processed food being bad for you as well and dog food is generally processed. Is there a paleo friendly site for my dog?
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Oooh, cute dog.... yes, she's a bit fat. :)

How to slim down your dog:

(1) Find out what she should weigh - talk to the vet
    (2) Buy a good quality dog food - talk to the vet again or go to a good pet store
    (3) Read the label on the side of the bag that tells you X amount of food per day = a dog that weighs X pounds. If you have any questions, call the dog food company (the bag will have an 1-800 number) or call the vet.
    (4) Measure out the dog food by using a measuring cup.
    (5) No snacks, unless you factor that into the amount of cups per day.
    (6) No people food. No Oreos (chocolate can be fatal to dogs).

Good luck. Your dog should lose at the rate of 1-2 pounds a month if you follow this.... it's the method I used to take some pounds off my collie.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have an overweight cat. She's lost 1.75lbs so far and needs to lose about 1.5lbs more. But the thing that works for her is portion control and feeding her the same times everyday. Also, wet food helps her feel more full, so she's less likely to beg for treats.

But everything I've done was recommended by the vet. So maybe make an appointment?